Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.1 keeps dimming my screen!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i had the freakish dimming happen until I turned off auto dim. Day time and it kept dimming all the way to 0%. I changed the scroll wheel to display and bumped it up then it immediately dropped back to 0%. over and over...too dark to see the center screen buttons to turn off auto dim
LOL. My complaint is that it's messed up after it's turned off

LOL. My complaint is that it's messed up after it's turned off

Concept of auto-dimming/brightening/selecting day/night mode utilizing information from the light sensor is not new. Modifying it to be tuned to user preferences is a good concept, though I struggle with the seeming current implementation

I would have hoped for something akin to:

On first use, or after reset (enable/disable auto-dimming?): Initialize a lookup table to the results of a default algorithm with 2 "dimming selection" rows of entries per light sensor value (/range of values) with max size of the number of dimness settings; one row for day/light and other for night/dark. If user never modifies the light settings then no functionality difference.

On user selecting overriding default dim (via. scroll wheel) update the table with new value for the currently-selected day/night row. Would likely need interpolation to higher and lower light entry settings, either to previously-overridden values in the table or default end points.

As user overrides more entries the dimming ramp becomes tuned to preferences for day/night.

In my head this makes sense... hope it does, somewhat, for others. It's just a pair of LUTs :)

With auto dimming, the display is so dark when I pull out of the garage into full daylight that I can't see the backup camera. The car isn't adjusting quickly enough to the change in lighting conditions - so I'll have to get the display brighter in low light so that it's viewable in bright light.

Pretty much eliminates the benefit of auto dimming...

I find the worst time of day for the screen to flicker is at dusk. It can't seem to make up its mind if it is day or night. So it increases in brightness, then decreases until the sun finally sets. It reminds me of when computer monitors are about to fail.
The algorithm they used before 7.1 worked fine.

My guess is the sensor isn't 'good' enough to do what they are trying to do. The iPhone was designed day one (or whatever version) to auto dim based on ambient light. The re-purposing of a sensor that was originally an 'on/off' scenario, may not be up to the task we've given it.

I'm torn on autodim. I like the fact that it can automatically do stuff, but I would prefer the brightness to be a little higher than it is currently set to by auto.

My autodim has worked nearly flawlessly. The first day with it on, it was a little too dark, but I turned up from 0% -> 15% and it has been great every since. So good, in fact, that I repurposed my right scroll wheel from brightness to HVAC temperature. The doc says it should take into account any adjustments you make. Sounds like for Sabr it isn't. Is it not taking into account adjustments for you Max?

- - - Updated - - -

Were people actually having problems with the brightness pre-7.1? On 7.0 I set the brightness once, and haven't touched it since, day/night/rain/sun doesn't matter, I can see it all just fine...

Prior to 7.1, I adjusted my brightness often during the day and constantly in the evening/night. I am very happy with auto-dim.

My guess is the sensor isn't 'good' enough to do what they are trying to do. The iPhone was designed day one (or whatever version) to auto dim based on ambient light. The re-purposing of a sensor that was originally an 'on/off' scenario, may not be up to the task we've given it.
It was perfect from 4.2 to 7.0

It was perfect from 4.2 to 7.0

This is a new feature... auto brightness (changing the %) didn't exist before recently. (auto day/night did) They are adding a feature, that is awesome in theory, if the sensor reports "light level" in a 0-100% capacity with, for example, at least a 10% or less margin.

But the original design only called for a night/day flip, where a cheaper light sensor that may have a larger margin of error (and lower cost) may have worked (and will continue to work, in that capacity) just fine. Similar to the light sensor on my motion lights outside my house... they don't need to know, down to the 1% of dark vs. light... they just need to know, is it day OR night? Not a specific level of light.

Does that make sense? it's the different between asking "is it light" and getting a Yes/No or "77%" as an answer. So I question if the sensor I have, from 2013 can answer that question.

Or maybe the sensor is sufficient, and the car's just buggy :)

I'll give it another go since I've had 2 updates since it was first released. On mine, instead of "learning" from me, it would just do what it wanted, even after I set a level, it would auto adjust 5 min later. (and after 3 tries of fighting the machine, I turned it off).

Last edited:
Does that make sense? it's the different between asking "is it light" and getting a Yes/No or "77%" as an answer. So I question if the sensor I have, from 2013 can answer that question.

Or maybe the sensor is sufficient, and the car's just buggy :)

My 2013 works great, so I would lean towards variations between cars, environmental differences, or just general bugginess. Some people have a very hard time with the Auto-Homelink and mine works flawlessly, so it could be something like that which just isn't consistent across the fleet.

My 2013 works great, so I would lean towards variations between cars, environmental differences, or just general bugginess. Some people have a very hard time with the Auto-Homelink and mine works flawlessly, so it could be something like that which just isn't consistent across the fleet.

Fair enough. I'm one of those with the buggy Auto Homelink and have had to turn it off. (Always opens the door when I arrive but almost always doesn't close it when I leave).

This is a new feature... auto brightness (changing the %) didn't exist before recently. (auto day/night did) They are adding a feature, that is awesome in theory, if the sensor reports "light level" in a 0-100% capacity with, for example, at least a 10% or less margin.
I realize it's a new feature. I tried it for a week and turned it off. The problem is that the "original" behaviour changed so that I have to fiddle with it. SC says that's how it works now, so basically there are two broken features rather than one feature that worked perfectly.