TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

7.1 Perpendicular Parking Video and Comments

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by MarkS22, Jan 9, 2016.

1. MarkS22

MarkS22 Member

All,

I saw some people wanted to see 7.1's Perpendicular Parking in action, so I made a video:

Tesla Model S P85D 7.1 Perpendicular Parking Demo - YouTube

It works pretty well and it's very similar to the parallel parking function. It works most of the time, but it does take longer than I expected. In a crowded parking lot, I can see people being frustrated waiting for you. So far, I've tested it about a dozen times and every time it starts reversing, pulls forward to adjust the angle, then finishes reversing. You can see that in action in the video.

2. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

Didn't straighten the wheel at the end. tisk tisk.

3. atechsnob

atechsnob Member

Great video thanks!

4. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Pretty nifty!

5. gerti

gerti Member

Steers while stationary = extra stress on linkage and tires.

6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

"Extra", but probably not "significant".
    Mark, thanks for the video. Amazing to watch the steering wheel spin back and forth!

7. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

It is exactly the same amount of wear as when the tire is rotating.

8. DJung

DJung Member

Tried out the new perpendicular autopark, but it takes too darn long. Usually has to do it in 2 steps, and sometimes it gets "stuck" (when it goes into drive, but won't go back into reverse). Until it gets faster, I think I'll just do it myself.

It is a cool crowd pleaser though.

9. 2fast2

2fast2 Member

I disagree. Try turning a "dead wheel" on a vehicle with manual steering (not power assist) or even a riding lawn mower, gator, or ATV. You'll feel the difference. MUCH easier (less force required at steering wheel) when the vehicle is moving as opposed to stationary.

10. DiversifiedOne

Probably doesn't make much difference, but in order to know when to stop, is it sensing the end line or the ends of the vehicles on the sides? Since it is restricted to only spaces that already have vehicles on both, seems like it might only by referencing them. Just wondering...

11. cynix

cynix Member

It appears that there must be a vehicle or some other form of obstacle behind the space for this to work, otherwise it'll back in too far. It does not use the lines on the ground.

12. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

Because you're amortizing the drag force over a larger distance. It's exactly the same amount of wear on the tire.

13. Richg

Richg Member

My parking space in my condo is perpendicular and I have successfully parked in it about 6 times. From a subjective standpoint it seems if the car is getting better at identifying the space and parking with less adjustments.

Is anyone else seeing this behavior? Could the car be learning? Thank you!

I'll probably use it every day once I'm comfortable. It seems to get pretty close but always properly reacts and completes the maneuver.

14. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

Since the video shows it stopping at the right spot without a car or obstacle behind it, I don't think your assumption is correct.

15. mrElbe

mrElbe Member

In my single test yesterday, there was no car or obstacle in the parking row behind and it stopped parallel in line with the abutting cars on each side.

16. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

Impressive! Maybe a bit slow but I still like it. Now if 7.1 would just download to met car I could try it out.

What camera did you use and where and how did you mount it to get both inside and outside view?

17. Blitzed26

Blitzed26 New Member

Is this true that it will only self perpendicular park if there are vehicles on both sides?

18. DJung

DJung Member

Yep, from my experience it doesnt see lines. It can only park in the median between the two parked cars. So two vehicles on each side with a large enough space in between is required for perpendicular autopark to work.

19. MarkS22

MarkS22 Member

This was a GoPro4 taped (with blue painters tape) to the sun visor. It wasn't pretty but it got the angle I needed.

- - - Updated - - -

As others noted, in my video there was no car to stop the backing in. It knows where the front of the other cars is from the ultrasonic sensors, so I'm assuming it lines you up with them.

20. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

Anyone tried this on diagonal parking spots?
    These are not 90 angle but have a diagonal... maybe 60 degrees.
    My guess is that the diagonal parking could possibly negotiate these spots since it would be able to sense the cars on both sides and navigate between them... OTOH, it might get confused.