Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.1 - range algorithm updated?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Range been 227-225 miles since I bought the car.

Updated to 7.1 yesterday.

Range 236 miles this morning :)

Guess this is proof they updated the algorithm as some had been assured by their SCs.
Hopefully the 90D folks will see improved figures too.

I noticed the same (just posted about this on the French forum). I've been at around 360km typical range at 90% on my 85D for the first 6 months. I upgraded to 7.1 last night and this morning, it was displaying something around 385km at 90% which is a huge increase.

^ Me too. Multiple updates on my S90D since taking delivery October 5, and never once a change in Rated Range correlated to new firmware. Anxiously awaiting notification the 7.1 download is complete and ready for installation.

Range been 227-225 miles since I bought the car.

Updated to 7.1 yesterday.

Range 236 miles this morning :)

Guess this is proof they updated the algorithm as some had been assured by their SCs.
Hopefully the 90D folks will see improved figures too.

For what it's worth, 7.1 didn't change my rated range (single motor, performance, 85 kWh pack rev "D"). But hopefully it solves the 90 kWh rated range reduction.

Really, I've had about 4 firmware updates since I got my car and never saw an adjustment that large ~4% right? I haven't got 7.1 yet so I'll wait to see for myself.
For me, it's more like 7% (360->385) and I had never observed any reported range increases with updates until now. Wondering what could have changed. Efficiency would be nice, but unlikely as it is not part of the notes... Most likely some temporary glitch.

I find it odd that people are cheering when Tesla took an already optimistic number and made it even less realistic. You know the car won't drive further, so any increase in the number just means it's LESS accurate (unless you were previously routinely get more range than the display showed, and not many people can claim that)

A software update doesn't magically change your battery capacity. Seeing a high range estimate at the beginning doesn't mean you have more range than before. Hopefully it is now more accurate than it was before, but you also had the exact same range before.

I find it odd that people are cheering when Tesla took an already optimistic number and made it even less realistic. You know the car won't drive further, so any increase in the number just means it's LESS accurate (unless you were previously routinely get more range than the display showed, and not many people can claim that)

Not really cheering (speaking for myself) but rather trying to understand what this is related to. Driving on European highways (and not always under the speed limit), I am actually routinely getting far less range than displayed on long trips, especially now that it's much colder than when I got the car.

I will range charge and drive quite a lot this coming weekend and will see if it changes anything.

No, the issue, at least for many 90D owners, was a rapid decline in rated range. About one mile per week for ten weeks in many cases. Tesla told us this was due to a software algorithm issue that would be fixed in an upcoming firmware release and that there was no actual degradation. We don't know if 7.1 is it or not but we all understand how optimistic rated range is. We are just using that as a baseline hoping what's displayed is closer to what it used to be several weeks ago. That's all.