Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.1 - range algorithm updated?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My P90D started losing range as soon as I got it (Sept 8). I am now at 221 miles at 90% and 243 at 100%. Its like having a 70kw battery that exceeds its range by 7 miles. I have been in constant communication with the service center and even Tesla in California and they say there is a range calculation issue with the new 90kw batteries and not the battery itself. (I hope they are right) After getting the 7.1 update, no change for me, and when following up with Tesla, they said no change to the formula was included in the last update. So I wait. If anyone else has any other info on this please share

I suggest you perform a SpC taper curve and compare with those available for 90 kWh packs. This would be a true litmus test, as you would see far worse performance at your apparent degradation level.

is it a range computation miscalculation that is being displayed?or is it actual range that is not there.
what I mean is that if at 90% you are showing only 221 miles bust is there actually more usable miles than what is being shown?

wouldn't it be fairly easy to try to run the car down and see what range the car delivers despite what the readout says? I know it is risky but with planning it could be done so you wind up near a supercharger after 220 miles or so.

No because "rated range" is an EPA estimate not real driving miles. Actual miles are based on too many variables as you know. We use it as a baseline as it starts dropping. Tesla agrees this is an issue and has promised to fix it and I'm sure they will but we don't know when.

After last nights download, my 90% appears unchanged (about 212 on my 70D) but my w/mi numbers are almost 10% lower. I don't understand this because this should be showing actual usage as opposed to projected range. Anybody have a possible explanation for this?

After lots of driving and a full charging cycle, half of the initial increase in reported range I observed after the update is gone at 90% level: I am at 373km down from 385 after the update (with 360 on 7.0).

Although perhaps it could be related to the car being parked outside right now at -10 Celsius (plugged), not sure if this affects reported range.

On subject, I observed an interesting jump in rated range reported by the car overnight.

For background, I use VisibleTesla (VT) to keep track of various metrics that Tesla makes available through its public API.
To minimize the amount of polling VT does, I put the car to "sleep" during night hours, meaning VT only gets data every 33 minutes or so.

Anyway, between 1:24 and 1:57 am PST, the rated range reported by the car went from 85 to 91 miles!
I usually see the range drop slowly overnight, so this was definitely surprising to see.

One theory I have is that I've been in cold weather (around freezing) the last few days, but drove back to San Francisco yesterday where temps are above 10ºC (50ºF).

Could it be that the algorithm is adjusting up as the car reenters warmer weather?

Screen Shot 2016-01-19 at 9.01.51 AM.png

On subject, I observed an interesting jump in rated range reported by the car overnight.

For background, I use VisibleTesla (VT) to keep track of various metrics that Tesla makes available through its public API.
To minimize the amount of polling VT does, I put the car to "sleep" during night hours, meaning VT only gets data every 33 minutes or so.

Anyway, between 1:24 and 1:57 am PST, the rated range reported by the car went from 85 to 91 miles!
I usually see the range drop slowly overnight, so this was definitely surprising to see.

One theory I have is that I've been in cold weather (around freezing) the last few days, but drove back to San Francisco yesterday where temps are above 10ºC (50ºF).

Could it be that the algorithm is adjusting up as the car reenters warmer weather?

View attachment 108561

Very interesting. That would be consistent with the @FlasherZ data.

View attachment 108561

I observed the same thing. Over the weekend, my car was parked outside and I noticed a loss of reported range compared to after the 7.1 update. On Sunday, it entered a warmer climate (my garage) and was 10km higher than in the cold.

Like the FlasherZ data and what msnow suggested, I also believe these rated range changes MarcG and orlenok are reporting, are more related to temperature increases than any improvements 7.1 may have provided. I've yet to see any real difference in my S90D here in SoCal with 7.1, but then, temps have been relatively stable and moderate the last several days -- around a mean of 56F and low only 52F.