Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.1 - range algorithm updated?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apparently just about any update can/might/will on some cars "forget" the data/measurements for the battery pack installed in the car. When that happens, the UI shows the "default for the pack when new" until it collects current data to feed to the algorithm to get an actual estimate. I've had this happen like 4 times on my Nov2012 Sig P85, and I think once on my Dec2014 P85D.

Surprised it happened at all on your P85D. The reason it happens on your Sig is because the memory used to store calibration data is volatile on the BMS for early A packs. B and newer store data on flash memory. If you pull the BMS fuse on your Sig you will notice that the range algo will reset, while it will not on your D.

No change for me - my 90% is still at 241 rated miles.

241 @ 90%? Yikes, that would mean if it's not just a software algorithm issue, as Tesla is telling some of us, you have lost virtually all of the 6% paid for in the range upgrade. If you haven't already, suggest you have the SvC check your battery and note it on the work order. Hopefully there will be a firmware update to fix this.

241 @ 90%? Yikes, that would mean if it's not just a software algorithm issue, as Tesla is telling some of us, you have lost virtually all of the 6% paid for in the range upgrade. If you haven't already, suggest you have the SvC check your battery and note it on the work order. Hopefully there will be a firmware update to fix this.

Yeah, my rated range declined quickly within the first couple of months but it kind of leveled off around the beginning of December at 243. Honestly, it doesn't seem like the 90kwh upgrade was worth it for me :crying:

Not looking forward to bothering the San Diego Service Center again (they're probably tired of seeing my car at this point) but I'll send them an e-mail soon. Thanks for the suggestion!

Yeah, my rated range declined quickly within the first couple of months but it kind of leveled off around the beginning of December at 243. Honestly, it doesn't seem like the 90kwh upgrade was worth it for me :crying:

Not looking forward to bothering the San Diego Service Center again (they're probably tired of seeing my car at this point) but I'll send them an e-mail soon. Thanks for the suggestion!

You may not have lost range. It could be just a software thing as Tesla is telling some of us but it's best to report it, document it and if no fix hold them accountable. Widely discussed here:

90D Range slowly declining

You may not have lost range. It could be just a software thing as Tesla is telling some of us but it's best to report it, document it and if no fix hold them accountable. Widely discussed here:

90D Range slowly declining

Oh yes, I'm well aware of that thread :smile: I may have been one of the first to mention a possible issue with the 90D's rated range back around September. Not saying that it was a horrible decision to go with the range upgrade, but I think I would've rather pocketed the extra money and let Tesla sort out these issues first instead of stressing over a stupid number on my instrument cluster!

My P90D started losing range as soon as I got it (Sept 8). I am now at 221 miles at 90% and 243 at 100%. Its like having a 70kw battery that exceeds its range by 7 miles. I have been in constant communication with the service center and even Tesla in California and they say there is a range calculation issue with the new 90kw batteries and not the battery itself. (I hope they are right) After getting the 7.1 update, no change for me, and when following up with Tesla, they said no change to the formula was included in the last update. So I wait. If anyone else has any other info on this please share

My P90D started losing range as soon as I got it (Sept 8). I am now at 221 miles at 90% and 243 at 100%. Its like having a 70kw battery that exceeds its range by 7 miles. I have been in constant communication with the service center and even Tesla in California and they say there is a range calculation issue with the new 90kw batteries and not the battery itself. (I hope they are right) After getting the 7.1 update, no change for me, and when following up with Tesla, they said no change to the formula was included in the last update. So I wait. If anyone else has any other info on this please share

Plenty of discussion on this topic in the link I referenced above. What Tesla told you is consistent with what they told many of us and we also got that in writing. We just need to make sure they come through soon.