Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.1 Summon Demo Video and Comments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a few demos posted on YouTube (Electric Jen) as well and was asked by a TMC user to share a photo of just how tight our garage is.
This picture was taken after a manual park but you get the idea - aside from a narrow garage door we also have stairs to contend with once backed in.

The car handled this obstruction perfectly when it did park itself.

IMG_4145.JPG

I think that it is rather impressive that it handles those stairs so well. I have a similarly tight space, the one difference being those stairs would be angled 45 degrees... i'm skeptical that the car will get as close to them as it needs to (otherwise the garage door will hit the car coming down). Your pictures give me a bit of hope it might just work.

It appears my 7.1 update does not have the option? Is this for US only??

As far as I know it's US only; the Canadians didn't get it either.

- - - Updated - - -

How "good" is the summonn feature in tight spaces? I HAVE to fold in the mirrors to get the car to fit into the garage. Do you think will the auto feature work?

Mike

Folding of the mirrors is part of Summon. Tight spaces should be fine as long it's a fairly straight shot into the space. I'm still a little bit anxious to let my car do it without me standing right next to it with the finger on the key fob, just in case. ;-)

I can confirm that summon won't work on my steep driveway. I was able to get the car to back out about half way before it stopped due to the slope.

The vehicle doesn't seem to be able to see short curbs while summoning. In one case it kept going until the tire hit the curb.

I got 7.1 today and activated summon. When I started it in my garage with garage door closed Niko started backing out but didn't open the garage door so I stopped it before it hit. I manually opened the garage door restarted summon and it backed out fine. What did you did differently so that the garage door opened first? I did set home link to auto open, and that feature works as advertised

I got 7.1 today and activated summon. When I started it in my garage with garage door closed Niko started backing out but didn't open the garage door so I stopped it before it hit. I manually opened the garage door restarted summon and it backed out fine. What did you did differently so that the garage door opened first? I did set home link to auto open, and that feature works as advertised

Do you have one of your HomeLinks set up as auto-open? In my experience the vehicle gets pretty close before it sends the open signal and then continues to back up.

Do you have one of your HomeLinks set up as auto-open? In my experience the vehicle gets pretty close before it sends the open signal and then continues to back up.
Yes, I have the new HomeLink auto open and close activated, and that works when I approach my garage and when I leave. As far as I know, it does not automatically open the garage door when I'm in the garage and backing out. I noticed that it got right to the garage door, and I panicked and hit the stop button on the phone app. Maybe it would have stopped anyway, but I don't want to damage my $130k baby (not to mention my garage door) in order to test something I will probably rarely, if ever, use.

Yes, I have the new HomeLink auto open and close activated, and that works when I approach my garage and when I leave. As far as I know, it does not automatically open the garage door when I'm in the garage and backing out. I noticed that it got right to the garage door, and I panicked and hit the stop button on the phone app. Maybe it would have stopped anyway, but I don't want to damage my $130k baby (not to mention my garage door) in order to test something I will probably rarely, if ever, use.

Finally got up the nerve to try it. :)

It did get very close to the door (maybe 15 cm at most) before stopping. But it did stop and then opened the door and then backed out. Backed a bit further than I would have liked. But there was no traffic so I just waited to see when (if?) it would stop. Stopped with the back end partly out in the street.

Then tried putting the car away. Pressed Forward on the iPhone app and it again got very close to the door before stopping. It then opened the door and started in but got very close to one wall and stopped and shut sown. Not sure why it did not proceed but, honestly, I don't see myself using the feature very often anyway so I'm not concerned.