TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

7.1 Supercharging fails at low temperature

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by garygid, Jan 18, 2016.

1. garygid

garygid Member

At 17 F and with the new 7.1 firmware, a Model S failed to charge
    at a supercharger half way betweem home and destination,
    requiring finding an AC charging location and charging at
    40 amps. Later, supercharging apparently worked as expexted.

Is there something new in 7.1 that inhibits SpC at low temps?
    Have any others experienced this unexpected problem/feature/bug?

Another owner is waiting to update to 7.1 because of this issue.
    Thanks

2. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

Well that's not good. Did you contact Tesla Roadside?

3. green1

green1 Active Member

Seems unlikely that it has anything to do with 7.1 and temperature. Especially as the temperature reported is actually quite warm by comparison to other places Teslas routinely supercharge, most of the fleet is now on 7.1, and we haven't seen a flood of these issues.

Any more details on what did/didn't happen? and what Tesla's response was? (I'm assuming you'd call Tesla if you weren't able to get a supercharger to provide you charge!)

4. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I think Tesla is being much more conservative with battery temperature management. Today when I tried to initiate a charge in my garage (about 20 F) the car started drawing somewhat less power than I had it set to but with no charging info shown for about 15 minutes.... then normal charging began. I presume it was heating the battery a bit first. This is my 4th winter with the car and have never seen that before even when it's been much colder. I also seem to get power and re-gen limits at much "warmer" temperatures than I ever used to.

Maybe if you'd left it plugged in to the supercharger for a bit, it would have kicked in after a few minutes.

5. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

Evidence suggests they have become more strict on the high end (lowering passive cooling from 40 to 30), while more lax on the low end (lowering active heating from 10 C to 7 C).

6. RDoc

RDoc S85D

Interesting! I've noticed the same re-gen issue. The car seems to take forever to warm up enough to support full re-gen. If that's good for the battery, fine, but Tesla really should add a battery pre-heat feature when on shore power.

7. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Yeah, I agree, I think it's more conservative now.

I received a regen not available message for the first time (not the dotted line around the energy meter, but an actual notification that regen is not available). It was only 20F, last time when it was 17F (I was on 7.0, IIRC) I just got the dotted line around the energy meter...

8. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

Was the battery cold when you got to the SC?
    I learned my lesson 2 years ago, stayed at the closest hotel to the SC and woke up to 22F.
    The car would charge but at limited speed (40A?), I punted and drove to the next SC after
    a few minutes as it wasn't that far away. But I wasn't planning on that extra stop...