Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.1kw system produce 4kw per hour

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got new Tesla 7.1kw system installed two weeks ago.
21 panels (340w) with one powerwall 2 plus
I have not got pto But Tesla advisor told me I can turn on the system since I pass inspection.
Here is my question
I only got around 4kw at 12am to 1pm. Rest of the day is around 2kw per hour
Is that normal? No any shadow.
Thank you~

Screenshot

Attachments

• 4F638715-FDF2-4F20-A03E-9451F705E6F8.jpeg
    4F638715-FDF2-4F20-A03E-9451F705E6F8.jpeg
    229.3 KB · Views: 445
  • E0773AB0-2FF2-4ECD-A86C-2C653F7D79B2.jpeg
    E0773AB0-2FF2-4ECD-A86C-2C653F7D79B2.jpeg
    264.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 37DE232F-8F7B-43E5-B3E6-78AC8155C784.jpeg
    37DE232F-8F7B-43E5-B3E6-78AC8155C784.jpeg
    227.7 KB · Views: 65
It doesn’t sound unreasonable based on your location, but without more detail it’s hard to say.

What is the layout of your panels? (Eg what direction do they face, and how many in each direction?)

PVWatts can give you a good estimate based on location and direction of panels, but if you have multiple directions you will have to aggregate them manually.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ampster
Sounds about right. My 15.64 system peak at under 10kw lately, used to be 11.7 back in August. 10/15.64 = 63% x 7.1 = about 4.4kw

So depends on your panel orientation. nYC about same as Chicago where I'm at

Go to PVWatts Calculator (nrel.gov) and enter in your address. See what it estimates for production at this time of year. I entered a random address in NY and got 4.6 kW at noon.

In North America, in general (depending on orientation of the panels, ect.) the max output for solar is around the summer solstice (June 21) and goes down until the winter solstice (Dec 21).

• Informative
Reactions: arnolddeleon
go to PVWatts Calculator (nrel.gov) and enter in your address. See what it shows for production. I entered a random address in NY and got 4.6 kW at noon.

In North America, in general, depending on orientation of the panels, the max output for solar is around the summer solstice (June 21) and goes down until the winter solstice (Dec 21).
Beat me to it by a few seconds. But yeah what they wrote.

Reactions: GenSao and jboy210
I have not got pto But Tesla advisor told me I can turn on the system since I pass inspection.
Here is my question
Thank you~

Other people already answered you, but most times, people expect that a system sized as "X" will produce peak power input of that same "X" and thats usually not the case.

Your 7.1kW system will likely never have a peak power generation of 7.1kW at any specific time. This is due to panel positioning / angle (how your home / roof is situated), where you are located, shading, etc. Even with no shading, its not likely your roof is situated in the exact perfect orientation / slope, etc to generate the systems max input.

There also could be limiting factors of what inverter you have, how its all wired together, etc.

My own 8.7kW sized system (installed in 2015, 34 panels) has never (ever) in its existence generated a peak input of more than 6.8kW. On a sunny day right now, peak input is around 5.8kW.

None of this means there is a problem with the system. You will be looking at production over time (months) not hours / days, as it relates to what your production should be.

Here is my question
Thank you~
I'm 100 mi north of NYC in the Hudson Valley. Installed 7.1 kw solar roof system (not panels) + 2x Powerwalls in mid July. Layout is 50% north, 50% south with no obstructions. Peak daily production has been slightly over 40 kwh with peak instantaneous output of ~5 kw on that day. I've reached peak instantaneous output of 7.5 kw on cloudy days.

Not sure what your system layout is but your generation seems a bit lower than mine.