Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.5 years from now or 120,000 miles my battery is out of warranty and is dead or serious degraded..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can't find information because it doesn't happen. There have been many Model S and X owners who have "crossed that bridge". Model S and Model X batteries have gone hundreds of thousands of miles and have only minimal degradation.

I think there are many more pressing problems to worry about such as climate change. My "guidance" is to relax and enjoy your car... for many years.

I've been debating with a friend if we should keep our FUSC.

While it doesn't make sense either way, the idea would be more entertaining if we could extend that value if we can replace the battery down the line.

AFAIK, Tesla has yet to ever replace a battery outside of warranty or the Roadster pack.

I believe it will start making sense once Tesla starts engineering new packs with larger capacities for older models.

For the original S/X, I believe their warranty will start ending somewhere around late 2020 early 2013. If Tesla is spending significant time on a battery pack refresh, I believe an owner would likely WANT to have the option of replacing it with one these packs where it would make sense.

Additionally for Model 3 owners, the highest mileage I've heard is 50,0000 miles a few weeks ago. At that rate, they would be out of warranty within a the next year or 2 so again targeting the 2020 time frame. I do not believe they'd have a better pack architecture by that point in time so anything changes would likely be just whatever options that are off the shelf which is another LR pack.

For most owners though, at the of 2025, to 2026, we might have more luck with a increased energy capacity pack replacement at the likely cost of $8000-15,000 as you'd suspect.
A couple data points...

There have been plenty of Roadster batteries replaced out of warranty, but the cost ($30k for 70 kWh) is not applicable here since they are different chemistry and hand produced.

Also there are plenty of Model S in excess of 250k miles. My brother is approaching that level and I believe he still has ~ 85% of his original range. I have ~125k miles and 90% of original range.

There are plenty of current options for replacement parts (including batteries) out of warranty. I have replaced a couple door handle parts ($2-$10) and am replacing my charge port this weekend ($50).

So all this talk about battery replacements makes two major assumptions:
  1. Your pack has failed and has had serious capacity loss (significantly degraded module affecting pack performance).
  2. Your range has dropped below your acceptable criteria.
In most normal conditions neither of the above should occur to any owner by simply hitting 8 years or 200,000 miles. Some type of abuse or defect would have to happen for condition #1 to occur. For condition #2, would you really pay $8-15,000 for 10% more range? for 20%?

I'm privately hoping that I would not NEED a pack replacement for the life of the vehicle unless it was a warrantied replacement near end of warranty period (please?). If the warranty period does end, then I'm likely going to tough out the battery pack wear and tear as I kind of pre-bought into it by buying an LR pack vs. MR etc.
Degradation to even 60%, so maybe 190 mi on a good day, is still a very livable battery for it to be a vehicle use as a solid commuter car. Really that's only a long distance trip impediment and not critical given SC spacing and the network continuing to fill in, so I'm not worried that much about #2.

The question is whether or not the packs will have relatively sudden, abject failure. That past the 120,000 mile (or 100,000 mi for the Lemur and SR) is where the crunch is. I'm not sure we know yet if that is a realistic risk, or if we're almost always going to see a soft ebbing of capacity over time.

I think your best bet will be to pull a battery from a junked car and install it yourself. But perhaps by then there will be some 3rd party shops to help you do the work, and used batteries will be available. It's not really a DIY job from what I have seen in videos.

@2:30

Then this:

Last edited:
Reactions: voip-ninja
That is also false. You can always buy parts directly from the service center at a traditional dealer.

I had to replace an engine in a 10 year old Mustang once. Called Ford and had one delivered next day.

You _can_, if they have them and you want to pay them to do. But a manufacturer is not required to have them available outside of warranty.

But unadaptabl was suggesting that you'd just scrap your used car, even though putting a used engine into a used car is a cheaper option.

If Tesla is working on making the drivetrains run for a million miles, why wouldn't you be able to update/switch out your batteries in the future?
Right now Tesla can't produce the batteries fast enough to produce the cars at the rate they want. Once they reach their target production rate, I don't see why they wouldn't consider building extra battery packs for people who would like to purchase a new one. If this happens in the next 7 years, it'll be just in time for me. :)

Reactions: ℬête Noire
If Tesla is working on making the drivetrains run for a million miles, why wouldn't you be able to update/switch out your batteries in the future?

Because they want you to buy a new car and give them more $$$ than a battery replacement would give them. Also, they can't even make enough batteries to meet there demand now, i don't see that changing.

Most ICE cars will go 100K and that works out to approx 8 years at 12K/year. The BEV warranty definitely exceeds the ICE warranty that's usually 4yr/50K or 5yr/60K. But that said, the question should be whether the BEV car depreciates to zero because it *MUST* have a new battery pack versus the oil leaking ICE that will still chug along. A lot of ICE cars go 200K from certain manufacturers and provide significant transportation value in the used car market to the frugal buyer. I'm not sure that can be said for the BEV. Time will tell.

As to what Tesla makes in 2025, I'd say that's worrying too far out into the future. Right now Tesla is still trying to survive and the M3 could still be its white elephant as can be seen by the recent price reductions.

• Disagree
Reactions: Pkmmte and KJD
In 8 years - there will probably be enough wrecks out there - you would be able to source a salvage battery if you really wanted to do that. There are guys that specialize in reclaiming and rebuilding/balancing Prius batteries - and I'm sure M3 industry will be even bigger eventually ... of course , if battery is already 4 years old , might only be good for another 4-6 years. I'm interested to see how much longer than the warranty period 90% of the batteries will last ... (and still keep 85% of charge) ....

Most ICE cars will go 100K and that works out to approx 8 years at 12K/year. The BEV warranty definitely exceeds the ICE warranty that's usually 4yr/50K or 5yr/60K. But that said, the question should be whether the BEV car depreciates to zero because it *MUST* have a new battery pack versus the oil leaking ICE that will still chug along. A lot of ICE cars go 200K from certain manufacturers and provide significant transportation value in the used car market to the frugal buyer. I'm not sure that can be said for the BEV. Time will tell.

As to what Tesla makes in 2025, I'd say that's worrying too far out into the future. Right now Tesla is still trying to survive and the M3 could still be its white elephant as can be seen by the recent price reductions.
The average age of cars on the road in the United States is 11.6 years. The Tesla demographic is far from average :p
When the battery ages on the Model 3 they'll simply be sold used to people who don't need the range. Some will get battery replacements from salvage vehicles. I think the demand for new battery packs will end up being very small. It simply won't be worth the cost to put a new battery in an 8 year old Tesla. The orginal Model S's have already depreciated to $40k. Once they're 10 years old they'll probably be worth $20k, I doubt anyone would pay $20k to put a new battery in.

Reactions: KJD
In 8 years - there will probably be enough wrecks out there - you would be able to source a salvage battery if you really wanted to do that. There are guys that specialize in reclaiming and rebuilding/balancing Prius batteries - and I'm sure M3 industry will be even bigger eventually ... of course , if battery is already 4 years old , might only be good for another 4-6 years. I'm interested to see how much longer than the warranty period 90% of the batteries will last ... (and still keep 85% of charge) ....
We're getting to the point where those 3rd party info apps (Teslafi et al) should be able to give us insight on what to expect for degradation in the first 30K miles of a Model 3 pack. I haven't seen anything posted yet, though.

I think it'll be very informative when you compare that to the Model S/X curves. Those older tech packs almost all had small but very discernible degradation, a couple points within 20K miles or something IIRC, and then it went to a very gradual slope. At 13K I've seen not even a single mile of the 310 lost on my Model 3, it'll still go to right to the top at 310mi if I charge it full the day before to let it balance.