Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7 Day Return Policy is Audi 5000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that Tesla has discontinued the 7 day return policy, doesn't it mean that:

1. Tesla shouldn't insist that folks make final payment prior to delivery inspection
2. Tesla should allow test drives prior to accepting delivery
3. Tesla should issue a due bill for issues noted at delivery

I'll be taking delivery of a MY again soon and I'm thinking through how this policy change will affect my delivery inspection and criteria. Thoughts?

The 7 day return period provides peace of mind (for me at least), and with it gone I don't think I would have accepted my Model Y with the door misalignments and paint defects it had. I was prepared to return my Model Y if I couldn't get a service appointment within the 7 days, which I was, and I felt comfortable they would resolve the issues.

This tells me Tesla is more concerned about the numbers it reports to investors than fixing its QC issues. This leaves a bad taste.

Most car manufacturers do not offer a return window. I think Tesla had to because of its atypical purchase model and the widespread reports of QC problems. It’s concerning they no longer feel they can offer this.

We have a delivery appointment next weekend. My husband and I had already agreed that we can’t accept delivery unless we’re happy with the current condition of the car. Any repairs we see need to be agreed to by Tesla in writing before we accept. A friend just got the same “in spec” BS during a service appointment.

Someone on Reddit said they spoke with Tesla and they’re honoring the 7 day return policy for existing orders. That’ll be another thing we ask for in writing during delivery.

No idea what would happen if you rejected at delivery and asked for a VIN reassignment.

Someone on Reddit said they spoke with Tesla and they’re honoring the 7 day return policy for existing orders. That’ll be another thing we ask for in writing during delivery.

No idea what would happen if you rejected at delivery and asked for a VIN reassignment.

I hope that's true, but most Redit posters are entitled little snowflakes and live in a fantasy world they created.

This tells me Tesla is more concerned about the numbers it reports to investors than fixing its QC issues. This leaves a bad taste.

Most car manufacturers do not offer a return window. I think Tesla had to because of its atypical purchase model and the widespread reports of QC problems. It’s concerning they no longer feel they can offer this.

We have a delivery appointment next weekend. My husband and I had already agreed that we can’t accept delivery unless we’re happy with the current condition of the car. Any repairs we see need to be agreed to by Tesla in writing before we accept. A friend just got the same “in spec” BS during a service appointment.

The problem is still you can’t even test drive it. So even if it looks good there is no way to be sure they didn’t forget to the glue the roof down or to put nuts on the strut arms so your steering doesn’t stop working.

I like my Tesla, the service has been excellent, and I havnt ever personally had a major QC problem (couple of gaps and minor paint issues) but I think this is a short sighted mistake by Tesla.

I wouldn’t have accepted delivery of that car if all I had to go on was the word of the unknowing sales person who knew less about Tesla’s than me...

Tesla is becoming just another car company. It happens to all 'appliance' manufacturers when shareholders are the first priority.

Yes. Can't believe I'm saying this but having a dealer network who actually try to work to keep a customer relationship starts to sound better and better with the crap tesla keeps pulling. First they remove their PR department and now this?

Lots of threads here on the same topic.

I didn't get to test drive my BMW M3. I did get to drive my Acura, but then they pulled a fast one and told me the person in the next office over already bought it and stuck me with a different one that I didn't get to drive. Did get to drive my Dodge truck, but I had already sent them $10k to hold it and it was a 2 hour drive away from home. Not sure what they would have said if I said no.

I just feel like 7 days is bound to be abused by people that want a 7 day joy ride. Cannot even be sold as a demo after that. It doesn't take too many of those to add up to big $$. 5 days and someone decides there is a panel gap (or no reason at all0 returns the car that's one more used one to sell. They should have looked it over on day 1.

But yes, I do think they should allow a trip around the block w/ the delivery person and the due bill should be documented.

I did miss a window chip on my Tesla M3, sent Tesla an email the next day and they had it replaced. Took a month, but they just called and scheduled me. Didn't have to follow-up or anything.

The 7 day return period provides peace of mind (for me at least), and with it gone I don't think I would have accepted my Model Y with the door misalignments and paint defects it had. I was prepared to return my Model Y if I couldn't get a service appointment within the 7 days, which I was, and I felt comfortable they would resolve the issues.

Well, I got the text today that my Y was ready and that the paint defects and door alignments were fixed. When I got too the service center it only took about a minute to realize that not only were paint defects not all fixed, the body shop introduced a new paint chip, and the door alignments were not resolved. I don't know if I am more annoyed or sad that Tesla didn't even look to verify the repairs were done before letting me know my Y is ready. I am sure this is just my frustrations coming out in this post, but I do now fear these delivery issues will not be 100% resolved, and I will just have to "live with it", which is just a sad.

As of now I at least still have the loaner Tesla, and they are going to contact the body shop tomorrow. I feel they will just pull the "in spec" card for the doors, which is just frustrating beyond belief, as how can something be in spec when the body lines between doors and panels don't actually line up.