Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7 month old Model S 90D. Lost 8 miles rated range :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I bought brand new MS 90D earlier this year in February. I have almost 14,000 miles on it and I started noticing, over the pas couple of months, a decline in the 80% and 90% charge numbers. I usually plug in 4-5 days a week to charge in the garage and never go above 90%. Earlier I would see 264 miles but then it started dropping to 262 and 261 and so on. Then last month I had to do a road trip so I decided to charge to 100%. And lo and behold, the car stopped charging at 286 miles and showed charging complete. For the first 4 months or so it was 294 miles and Tesla indicated. Not sure why it has dropped. I called Tesla service last week and haven't heard back yet. Any ideas on why this is the case? I talked to several owners and none of them have experienced this. And some of them have NOT been nice to the battery in terms of running it close to zero and charging to 100% frequently. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

The best is to look at this Google Spreadsheet crowd sourced by owners. Most of the battery capacity loss is within the first 25-30K miles. Your numbers would indicate less than a 3% loss in range, well within the expected decline seen by other owners. My understanding is that the cells within the battery that fail early are just "bad cells", but those that survive the initial culling are expected to last a long time. The curve representing range decline flattens out after the initial early decline and stays well above 93% well out to 100,000 miles and beyond. I have 8,000 miles and have seen about 5 miles of decline thus far.

I experienced a similar thing with my P100D (originally charged to 318 miles then noticed a drop down to 301) and I contacted my local ranger about it. He said that battery loss of up to 5% wasn't unusual for the first year, but explained that the mileage is also calculated based upon the driving habits over the previous 30 miles. So I put this to the test, driving like a [relative] granny and then charging it all the way, and I got back up to 310. I actually think I could do much better than this, but it's consistent with what he said and makes sense about how the software calculates the range.
I drive a lot (up to a hair under 18k miles in a hair over 9 months). About once every six to eight weeks I will drive it down as close to zero as I can, and then charge it all the way, otherwise I usually charge it up to about 80% or so.
Anyway, I'm feeling a lot better about it. Might not be as bad as ya' think (that's how I feel, at least).

Reactions: Reciprocity
Don't forget that rated (and typical) miles are just estimates, they don't actually tell you how much capacity your battery has.
Also, as it gets colder coming into winter your range will be estimated (correctly) as less than before, but then as you go back into summer it will increase again.
Either way, you'll lose about 3% of real range in the first year, then a bit less than 1% per year after that.

Got my S90D in December 2016. 12000 miles and have supercharged ~3000 miles with the rest at home up to 70% SOC. 90% charge shows 260 miles which extrapolates to 289 rated miles. A little disappointing but less than 2%. I’m guessing the silicon in the battery is part of the issue

2016 S90D new...in km, used to get 425km on a 90% charge. After 12 months it reduced to 410km and recently at the 18 month mark down to 404km.

Loss Around 5.3% in 1.5 yrs. Seems excessive considering no supercharging and only one charge to 100% the entire period.

Traded in for the P100 and happy to now see 458km at 90% :)

I also have a 90D. Battery degradation is faster at the beginning. From what I've read the 90kWh battery drops faster then say the 85. Probably due to a different battery chemistry. They added silicon to the anode to increase the energy density.

I got my car in Dec. of last year. I have a bit over 11K miles. My 100% charge is 284 rated range (255 @90%). I think your rated range is close to normal given the mileage. Take comfort that the rate of degradation should decrease over time.

One other thing to remember: we are approaching the fall and cooler weather can result in less apparent capacity as far as the rated range numbers are concerned. That doesn't necessarily mean that you've actually permanently degraded to those numbers. When the weather warms again you should see a corresponding uptick. I forget the thread title but there was conversation on this board on the subject where a couple of multiyear owners posted their own anecdotes and numbers reflecting this phenomenon. Even if it is real degradation, that represents only about one percent which is pretty good.

It helps if you supercharge at least twice a week. It seems like those folks who supercharge at least twice a week seem to have the least degradation compared to those who rarely or never do. Or at least it’s not as quickly onset compared to others.

tesla-battery-degradation-6.png

And 90% is the ideal SOC. So that’s good that you are doing that.

Also you are in Chicago too. There is a significant range loss in cold weather compared to warm. So in the Winter, expect a lower range, how much? It depends.

• Informative
Reactions: cmd_keen
It may not be true for other batteries (i.e. the 85), but I think not allowing the State Of Charge (SOC) to drop too much is better then whether you charge up to 70, 80, or 90%. I was losing 1 RM/week when I was SC once/week and SOC was 10% up to 90%. I stopped that and tried to keep my SOC charge > 30%, up to 90% and using my Level 2 charger (40A, 10 kW). Since doing that, 12 weeks ago, I've not lost any RMs. I "guess" the issue was the heat generated by SCing from such as low SOC (high charge rate). Heat is the real battery killer, even with the excellent BMS that Tesla uses.

Last edited:
Interesting info in this thread. This was a question that's been haunting me ever since I got My 90D late Sept 2017.

So far with about 23,600km driven, last range charge on Saturday evening gave me 473km rated, from an original 478km, good for 1% degradation. That appears to be ahead of the curve. Healthy mix of SC'ing once or twice a week with range charges on average every 10 day or so.

About a month ago the 90% and 100% levels went lower suggesting a degradation of at least 3% (one range charge was as low as 445km but completed charging at 97%), then it appears the battery went through a balancing cycle and the rated range was restored to 472-473km.

Needless to say I felt much better about that. I plan on keeping this car for a VERY long time (10yrs+) so the degradation curve is something I am monitoring closely.

Angsting over reported range miles is mostly a waste of time. My 75 range charges to 242 to 247 rated miles. 242 was the first full charge 247 was later. Never have seen 249. 70% charge varies from 167 to 171. It is an approximation and not to be taken as gospel. Actually, I have seen the battery gain range when driving as it warms up. There are too many variables to consider the numbers to be accurate to 1 or2 miles.