TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

7 New Charging Stations open in South Jersey

Discussion in 'North America' started by yobigd20, Jul 26, 2013.

1. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2012
    Skaneateles, NY

highlights from article:

• ECOtality stations
    • free for one year
    • locations
      • the three camden county college campuses,
      • Cooper River Boat*house in Pennsauken,
      • two branches of the county library system (in Winslow and Bellmawr)
      • Camden County Technical School.

Personally, while more stations is great, I just don't think people "get it". i.e. "We hope county residents and those who travel Route 70 will ‘fill ’er up’ with power at the new charging stations." Now that statement is just absurd. Sure it's free for a year but there's lots of problems with that logic. First, county residents will recharge at home, not at these stations. When it's not free anymore, it won't make sense to charge up at these stations. It'll cost 10x probably at much to use these stations than to charge at home (though I guess if you have one of those EVs with a tiny battery it may help). It'll only make sense for out of towners that are coming into town at a residence/hotel that does not have chargers. Second, nobody is just going to stop by to 'fill er up' because they are not fast DC chargers. I don't know how many amps they are going to be, but if it';s anything like chargepoint 30amps will take 8+ hours to "fill er up". Not practical. But still +1 for more stations at least.

2. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

Apr 20, 2013
    This is pretty common. They are well meaning but clueless about how chargers are used. I don't know about the Cooper River Boat House but none of the others appear to be destinations for out of towners. A better way to go is focus on convention facilities, hotels/motels and, maybe, malls. Of course, that's all private so they couldn't use public funds.

Frankly, they are probably free EV parking places more than anything else.
  3. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

Mar 24, 2011
    Put some on the other side of the river (near Drexel :)) so I can visit my daughter in my Model S.
  4. Room_A113

Room_A113 Member

Feb 27, 2013
    New Jersey
    Agreed. The Cooper River Boathouse the only location that makes the most sense - it's regularly rented for conventions and banquets (we almost had our daughter's wedding reception there). All the other locations look like they're for mostly local drivers. I suppose if you have a longish commute, and have a Ford Energi or Volt the other locations would work to eliminate gas usage for people that work at the college or the libraries.
  5. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

Mar 16, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    I agree with most of the OP's points but, even if 30A L2, it will fill up some cars more quickly than 8 hours. I think it would fill a Leaf up in 4-5 hours. Still not a reasonable wait, but if at a shopping area, it could work. And I know Ecotality is putting in some DCFCs, though these may not be from the picture I saw.

As for cost, its still cheaper than gas most likely.