Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7-seat config waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everything I've seen from Tesla (the model Y reveal, the pics they have on their webiste, and the spy photos) show the 3rd row being front facing. However, it seems rear facing has the most room and the service technicians I've talked to all think that they will definitely be rear facing. I am hoping for rear facing, removable seats, with 5 point safety harnesses (perfect for my kids for the next 3-5 years).

Our Model Y page has been showing "Prepare for delivery," and we completed all the sections months ago. The only change has been the Trade-in section says the offer from 8 months ago is expired. I suppose if more people are able to see the "Prepare for delivery" message, maybe something is actually progressing, but at least for us, it has not been an indicator of being any closer to delivery.

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
Our Model Y page has been showing "Prepare for delivery," and we completed all the sections months ago. The only change has been the Trade-in section says the offer from 8 months ago is expired. I suppose if more people are able to see the "Prepare for delivery" message, maybe something is actually progressing, but at least for us, it has not been an indicator of being any closer to delivery.

^^THIS^^. No change since my “Prepare For Delivery “ back in March. All info entered.

That’s good news! I have a seven seater on order since ‘day 1’ (non performance) with FSD and my page looks the same as it always has for the last several months.

But, I don’t want delivery until at least January so I haven’t entered all the info.

Any other 7 seater reservation see updated page?

- minute 1 reservation, AWD LR FSD white on white 7 seat. No changes in page. Also would prefer Jan/Feb- don’t want to get one sight unseen honestly, even if online pictures is all we can do.

My theory:
The 7 seat configuration utilizes different seat mounting points only available on the single piece rear casting. The initial press die had a design problem, and is being re-worked or completely redesigned.
Production of the 5 seat version continues uninterrupted using the older two piece design, but the 7 seat version can't be built.

My only evidence for this is that my Model Y, picked up November 22 from the factory, apparently still has the two casting design, with the casting join plate visible under the rear seat.

Reactions: NCC81701
Could it be possible that 7 seater needs new 4680 structural pack?
  • Get rid of the battery hump so 3rd row pass have room for their feet
  • It it may not be worth to make a single piece casting for now only to be redesigned again once structural pack is out
Conclusion: 7 seater comes when 4680 cell is in mass production 2022

Last edited:
Doubt it has anything to do with 4680s. Elon indicated beginning production in Nov. and deliveries by early December. This timeline fit much better with the expectations of when the Giga press is to start volume production of the rear casting.

The 4680 production lines are still pilot lines with a few more iteration to go before those are at volume production. I’m more inclined to believe MY coming out of Giga Berlin might be on 4680s as Elon indicated that the manufacturing process for EU MY will be vastly different than Fremont MYs. Although I personally think the first 4680s are probably going to the Model S plaid.

@DonaldBecker ’s theory seems to line up better with why we haven’t heard anything about 7-seaters yet.

My take from the beginning is that the newer cast is a pre-requisite for 7 seats. With the latest rumors it seems it may open up space up front too that allows for the large HEPA “bio weapon” filters.(one of my fav features from the model X)
I was just waiting for the 7 seats but the HEPA filter and .. sit down for this one.. heated steering wheels would complete the package waaay above expectations .
December 72nd is my take for deliveries.

Reactions: NASASpaceXlove
My take from the beginning is that the newer cast is a pre-requisite for 7 seats. With the latest rumors it seems it may open up space up front too that allows for the large HEPA “bio weapon” filters.(one of my fav features from the model X)
I was just waiting for the 7 seats but the HEPA filter and .. sit down for this one.. heated steering wheels would complete the package waaay above expectations .
December 72nd is my take for deliveries.
I doubt there will be any deliveries in December after the 31st. ;)

I just got a call from the local "Customer Experience Manager" saying our order has been marked ineligible for delivery this year. It didn't seem like he initially realized this was a 7-seat order, and I assume he was looking to see if we would take delivery of something else for Q4. But once I said we'll continue waiting for the 7-seater, he said he'll note that, and we'll be in contact when the status changes.

Grasping at straws here. But just checked my account page like I do every day. There is a slight change in that it no longer says drafting contract, now it says:

Next Steps
  • We will contact you to sign contracts and make final payment prior to delivery.
  • Prepare to drive and charge your Tesla by completing the Meet Your Tesla overview
This probably means nothing and most people wont care but maybe my friends on this page might, maybe there is hope for late December or early January.

Thank you for humoring me...

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
Grasping at straws here. But just checked my account page like I do every day. There is a slight change in that it no longer says drafting contract, now it says:

Next Steps
  • We will contact you to sign contracts and make final payment prior to delivery.
  • Prepare to drive and charge your Tesla by completing the Meet Your Tesla overview
This probably means nothing and most people wont care but maybe my friends on this page might, maybe there is hope for late December or early January.

I agree with EchoDelta that the new rear cast is needed for 7 seat config.

This new wording on the site is probably not any kind of sign, but hey, holiday miracle? I don't think we will see any 7 seat deliveries before Jan.

Reactions: durjosep

Next Steps

Long time lurker -- figured it was time to create an account. I noticed the same change to my account page. I wonder if this was just a format update for everyone or if it indicates some kind of movement. I have a 7 seater Performance on order.