Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7-seat config waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reserved a 3 row Y late 2019 with AWD LR, 19" wheels, FSD, tow hitch, blue exterior and black seats. Today I got my first unsolicited communication from a Tesla advisor via email. I asked if this means my car is close to production and received this response:

"we are beginning to build the Model Y delivery with 7 seats"

Checked my Tesla account, still no VIN, but first unsolicited communication and with all the recent news and pictures of the 3rd row, maybe we're close?

Reserved a 3 row Y late 2019 with AWD LR, 19" wheels, FSD, tow hitch, blue exterior and black seats. Today I got my first unsolicited communication from a Tesla advisor via email. I asked if this means my car is close to production and received this response:

"we are beginning to build the Model Y delivery with 7 seats"

Checked my Tesla account, still no VIN, but first unsolicited communication and with all the recent news and pictures of the 3rd row, maybe we're close?

Same order time and build (minus tow hitch) for me. Haven’t heard anything yet, but sounds like I’ll hear soon. I’m in NJ, could make a difference. I hope it’s in the 2-5 week range!

Got my order modification confirmation today -- I downgraded to LR AWD 7 seater which...has an ETA of 2-5 weeks. Been waiting since early last year and now that I have a combo that will actively be built in the next few weeks, I'm... SUPER EXCITED.

Has anyone received a 7 seater VIN?

Got my order modification confirmation today -- I downgraded to LR AWD 7 seater which...has an ETA of 2-5 weeks. Been waiting since early last year and now that I have a combo that will actively be built in the next few weeks, I'm... SUPER EXCITED.

Has anyone received a 7 seater VIN?

Did any of your prices update to the latest prices (for example, color, wheels, FSD etc?)

Does anyone know of, or has seen in any of the pictures or videos, any hint that the rear seats have that ISOFIX / Latch loops for car seats ? I am assuming so but you know what they say about assumptions.

Two notes here:
  1. We were in a gallery today for a test drive and the employee explained the 3rd row as a great place for children who are out of car seats, implying that latch isn't available.
  2. In the photo Tesla shared on Twitter, the ISOFIX logo buttons weren't visible on the seats. Though it's possible the photo was of a pre-production model that didn't have those buttons.
  3. All that said, the seats do have seatbelts so you can secure a carseat (if it fits) with the seatbelt.
  4. And finally, if you look closely at some of the images in this video, you can see the top anchor bar on the back of the 3rd row seats that I think is only necessary alongside LATCH - First look at Tesla Model Y seven seat configuration with third row seats

Went to me local showroom and they showed me a video on the third row. They video was sent to employees this morning. Pretty slick, to get in the seat slides forward and then tilts up at an angle.
Did you get a good view of the FOOT room?
I’m less concerned about leg room as I am about foot room.
After watching the YouTube video of the guy who mocked his own 3rd row, the biggest concern was that the kid had nowhere to put his feet because the seat was on the subframe.

I’ve always assumed they’d have to modify the subframe (1 piece cast???) would need a notch for a footwell.

From the video, looks like this is probably the extent of the sliding 2nd row:
back.jpg

forward.jpg

2nd row adjustment controls each split left-center-60/40-right:
  • bottom bar forwards and backwards
  • side control tilts and folds
  • top release slides and pitches

View attachment 626448
View attachment 626449

That’s actually pretty significant movement. My pilot’s 2nd row moves about half that.

I’m eager to see the sliding 2nd row in action. The current 5 seater 2nd row butt padding sits right on the body. This leads me to believe they had to reshape the body or subframe to allow for the sliders and foot room for 3rd row.

gah! I want to see it!

Reactions: reardencode
View attachment 626448
View attachment 626449

That guy sitting down doesn’t look comfortable in the most forward position. His upper leg is angled upwards off the front of the chair and his lower leg is straight vertical.

That guy sitting down doesn’t look comfortable in the most forward position. His upper leg is angled upwards off the front of the chair and his lower leg is straight vertical.
Yeah. I’m curious if the sliding 2nd row sits similar to the 5 seater fixed 2nd row. I know there’s a lot of leg room in the fixed version, but sliding it forward all the way could be super uncomfortable.