Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7-seat config waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife today got an amazing job offer. While she was signing her offer letter, I ordered a 7 seater Model-X red colored with walnut interior. I have both the orders right now but most likely will not be accepting Model-Y this quarter. I'll decide which one to pick next quarter but right now I am leaning towards X. Lets see. Totally prepared about their ETAs this time :)

Thank you everyone for helping me out. I hope everyone's order gets fulfilled this quarter. I'll be still active in this forum but on Model-X thread. The ETA for X is June (which I know is a joke) so I can relax for sometime...

So when I called Tesla rep in Portland today that I won't be picking MY this quarter with the intention that they can assign mine (whose VIN I never received) to someone else, they started showing attitude, saying they can't hold my order if I don't pick it this quarter and they'll have to cancel the order. I said "Go ahead". Now I've the X order only in my Tesla account. Guess that's how my MY story ends :confused:

• Funny
Reactions: jackgSD and Axeman
Some food for thought....

LR isn't just for AWD though. It's dual motor, which makes the vehicle more efficient, which is why it has a longer range. Personally I'm in Florida, so I don't need AWD for anything. My Model S was single motor and it had the perk of having a huge frunk (I could lay down inside of it and close it with some space to spare. I wouldn't have liked to have dual motor in it as the frunk is much much smaller (I may be wrong but I think it's smaller than all the Y's). But in the case of the Y LR, it's really a difference of price and range. The $2500 they gave you at least offsets the LR price difference some, but personally I went with LR with no thought at all to it being "AWD" which I could care less about, but to have fewer charging stops on road trips, especially when it's not going to be free unlimited like I had on my S (it had a range of ~230). I didn't mind the stops, but there's times if I had a little longer, I would have been able to do round trips without the need to charge.

I ordered on 1/31 and pick up Saturday, and from what I've seen, east coast got their VINs first and it sweeps towards the west. My guess is they try to do further distances first to meet KPI's knowing further distances take longer to deliver. Not a valid reason, just a guess.

"I see Elon spending time and energy re-naming his position and other" This comment made me laugh though because Elon spends time an energy in many places other than that... such as SpaceX. I'm personally amazed this man can do as much as he is doing. One day he's unveiling a new and most technologically advanced vehicle the next day he's launching the most technologically advanced rockets into space. Then the following day he's spending time in underground hyperloop, ending the week with spending time on a brain-machine.

Again, not an excuse for the frustrations of purchasing a Tesla, but think about this: when you buy an ICE vehicle, the dealership has done all of this for you. They placed the orders, purchased the vehicles, pushed back on cars with back QC issues, detailed them, and put them on the lot for you to come buy them. As a Tesla customer, you are starting this process from the start. Some argue that the cost of the vehicle should mean we don't have to go through these frustrations; however, the average price for a new car according to Edmonds is $40,573, the Y base price is $49,990. So this argument would be more relevant on ordering maybe a new S/X, but not so much the Y/3.

Still frustrating none the less (I still refresh my page multiple times even though I pick up Saturday from the effect of this process and impatience although nothing is going to change on the account!). When I got my S, which was a CPO, it took this long too, but well worth the wait!!
$2500 they gave me? You mean my interest free loan that I gave them for 2 years. LOL. Im not arguing about price or expectations, honestly, i just want transparency - Starting with, giving me a call when you cancel someone's order that is nearly 2 years old. The Y is a commuter car for us, it needs to get to redwood city from oakland and back to oakland in a day. We have a minivan (2016 Toyota Sienna), that we can pack our house in, when we drive the 350 miles to disneyland - so LR to me, is not something im needing ATM. Even with LR, we're still not making it to disneyland, w/o stopping to charge, which takes quite a bit longer than filling the tank. Am I advocating for ICE vehicles, no, i am completely onboard with moving towards environmentally friendly, less carbon footprint lifestyle. However, the final price with tax for the standard range is $47,490 -- the final price with tax for LR is 61,280. That's a HUGE difference! and one Im not willing to splurge on. 61k for a car, to me, is outrageous. You can snicker at that, but it feels frivolous and to be quite honest, with all the rolling black outs and weather/fire issues we're having in N. Cal, I'd rather put that 10k towards 2 powerwalls, which seems like a better use of funds, than for an extra 60 - 80 real world driving KwH.

$2500 they gave me? You mean my interest free loan that I gave them for 2 years. LOL. Im not arguing about price or expectations, honestly, i just want transparency - Starting with, giving me a call when you cancel someone's order that is nearly 2 years old. The Y is a commuter car for us, it needs to get to redwood city from oakland and back to oakland in a day. We have a minivan (2016 Toyota Sienna), that we can pack our house in, when we drive the 350 miles to disneyland - so LR to me, is not something im needing ATM. Even with LR, we're still not making it to disneyland, w/o stopping to charge, which takes quite a bit longer than filling the tank. Am I advocating for ICE vehicles, no, i am completely onboard with moving towards environmentally friendly, less carbon footprint lifestyle. However, the final price with tax for the standard range is $47,490 -- the final price with tax for LR is 61,280. That's a HUGE difference! and one Im not willing to splurge on. 61k for a car, to me, is outrageous. You can snicker at that, but it feels frivolous and to be quite honest, with all the rolling black outs and weather/fire issues we're having in N. Cal, I'd rather put that 10k towards 2 powerwalls, which seems like a better use of funds, than for an extra 60 - 80 real world driving KwH.
I had forgotten the $2500 was the initial deposit. My apologies. I agree with all your points TBH. I would feel the same way in alm the situations. I was not agreeing with the change they made. I would have personally have preferred the RWD, both for price and because I didn't need AWD myself.

I am a very impatient person, and Tesla has certainly tested my patience more than anything lately. I more wanted to try and add some positive thoughts to a crappy situation.

One of the main road trips we do is to the them parks in Orlando. If my Tesla didn't get me there without eedinf ti charge first, I would be frustrated at "long range". I too had a minivan, Honda Odyssey, and I made it from NE Florida to New Orleans in a single tank no stopping, can't do that with Teslas's right now and losing the option to chose a RWD since the LR doesn't get you any further than the need to use your minivan comes into play makes it even tougher to deal with the change.

Again, I feel your frustrations, and agree with transparency. I just think we're used to the dealerships doing this for us that I'm glad Tesla is doing sales like they are just needs to be tweaked a lot more.

Transparency would greatly be appreciated. I think that's what stings the most is feeling like the SA's are just not being honest about their knowledge of what's going on with YOU and your vehicle.
SA should give a. soft
I’ll tell you tomorrow. About two weeks ago they gave me a Soft Match / gate day (can’t recall exactly what they called it) for the 19th.
Fingers crossed that it’s accurate 🤞
my soft match was yesterday and no dice.

Reactions: Axeman
LOL so no joke. I checked existing inventory for fun and saw the exact specs of my Model Y order for a demo vehicle with 125 miles

Called up Tesla, they matched me with the VIN immediately. Saved ~$870. Was surprised though, they can't remove the destination fee even though the car exists already in the state...

Welp, turns out that demo vehicle failed the pre-delivery checklist. Back in the queue :( no VIN assigned again

Reactions: Rich024
Adding to the list. Have a MSM Model Y with Black interior on order on 3/8, 19" wheel, tow hitch, no FSD. I had a trade in which was stuck in waiting for Tesla to respond for over a week and then I finally contacted them to see what was up as my trade in was in good condition. They responded right away and accepted trade in with official offer that is valid for 30 days. Then my status finally moved to pending delivery/VIN. The SA told me that for some reason that trade in causes my order to be stuck so be aware if you have trade in.

I had forgotten the $2500 was the initial deposit. My apologies. I agree with all your points TBH. I would feel the same way in alm the situations. I was not agreeing with the change they made. I would have personally have preferred the RWD, both for price and because I didn't need AWD myself.

I am a very impatient person, and Tesla has certainly tested my patience more than anything lately. I more wanted to try and add some positive thoughts to a crappy situation.

One of the main road trips we do is to the them parks in Orlando. If my Tesla didn't get me there without eedinf ti charge first, I would be frustrated at "long range". I too had a minivan, Honda Odyssey, and I made it from NE Florida to New Orleans in a single tank no stopping, can't do that with Teslas's right now and losing the option to chose a RWD since the LR doesn't get you any further than the need to use your minivan comes into play makes it even tougher to deal with the change.

Again, I feel your frustrations, and agree with transparency. I just think we're used to the dealerships doing this for us that I'm glad Tesla is doing sales like they are just needs to be tweaked a lot more.
PS, I hope my response didnt come across as snippy or crabby. I'm frustrated with tesla, obviously reading this forum, compounds it, seeing all the others with similar stories. Just makes me think, as a small business owner, how does a large business with a product other companies are certain to catch up to sooner or later, continue to kill their customer base. Right now, we wait - but in time, they are gonna have to put up or lose ground.
Some people are Elon fanboys, I am not. Dont get me wrong, I love the product, but eclectic billionaires drive me insane. I actually have a friend, who worked for Tesla corporate - on one of Elon's teams, who happened to be in a hallway one day when Elon was having a hissy fit about something, he looked at my friend and said "you, you're fired". And he was NOT joking. also, this is not a solo story. Neither here nor there I know, and it has nothing to do with buying a car, but still makes me think, why do we fanboy this guy so much....

Quick update: I ordered my 7 Seat/White/White/19 in/LR AWD/FSD on 1/10. Got my vin on 3/12 and website listed my delivery date on 3/15. I have an appointment on 3/28 in Orlando to pick it up. SO EXCITED!!!!
Maybe our cars are on the same train. The SA told me today my car is supposed to arrive on the 27th and our pick up date is 3/29. He also stated this morning it was in Amarillo, TX and it could be earlier. Very exciting.

Reactions: JonTMY7.21
Balloon = deflated

I just called Tesla and spoke to someone who seemed to be fairly willing provided candid info.
They said my account no longer shows any kind of vin match and in all reality she saw no possibility I would see a car this month. Said that the 5 seaters are rolling out VERY fast but 7 seater configurations have been slow and sporadic. I asked about upgrading to an X and she mentioned that they wouldn’t be available until June at the earliest.

Rough news regarding the completely unrealistic delivery timeframe Tesla provided. Silver Lining is this will give them a little extra time to start including things like the newer lights or HEPA filter and possibly even a tax credit. (Unlikely, I know. But I have to have to find some reason to stay optimistic or I may just decide to cancel the whole bloody thing and buy a Lexus instead)

Last edited:
Reactions: beeb