Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7 seat configuration < 6 seat configuration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep. It might be a good idea to checkout videos of both to know the difference. Price difference is what is it. Main question right now is do you prefer 6 seats or 7seats. If you love 7 seats, it also cheaper so awsome. If like me you love 6 seats, you need to decide whether the price difference is worth it for you.

I like 6 seats because it's the most comfortable 6 seater in the market. It is extremely easy for someone to get in the 3rd row. 2nd rows has awesome comfort and 3rd low is much better than 7 seat version because of extra space in the middle.

We have a baby, and use the gap between the 2nd rows seats to keep diaper bags etc.

• Helpful
Reactions: travis010 and IdaX
I have a couple of videos about the Model X options and I go over the seat configurations. In the first video, Tesla hadn't switched to the bench style 7 seater and adjusted the prices. At that time, I said the 7 seater wasn't a good option unless you absolutely needed the 7th seat. However, since the change, I actually think the 7 seater is a very compelling option. Below are the quick pros of each configuration. Let me know if you have any other questions, I'd he happy to help!

6 seater pros:
- room down the middle for easier access to the 3rd row.
- more leg room for the 3rd row, and less claustrophobic
- better view out of rear view mirror
- monopost seats in middle row are electric and can be moved forward/backward from the touch screen

7 seater pros:
- cheaper!
- middle row folds flat to provide maximum cargo space
- can sleep in the back because middle row folds down
- more options for hauling stuff because of 60/40 middle row split

It’s mostly been said above but the main differentiator is cargo vs people. We will never have lots of people often in the car but will sometimes have large cargo or luggage for trips so got the new 7 with the option for a totally flat back floor. For small kids with needed space bereeen the second row seats the 6 may be worth it but are stuck with never being able to fold down the second row.

@Nerdy_Engineer made a good list above. Just to comment on the price difference:

Basically the added cost could be seen as for electric seat control. The six-seater seat design overall is probably more expensive too. That said, Tesla is notorious for fiddling with prices, so they aren't always the most logical...

Second row -

6 seater:
- electric seat control (move, tilt entire seat, electric easy entry, front touchscreen control)

7 seater (the current bench type):
- manual seat control (move, recline seat back, full fold, tilt seatback a little for easy entry)

One more thing: the six seater seats are designed for easy entry while holding child seats. The seven seater's design may require child seat removal for third row entry.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
I really like my 7 seat monopost that has been discontinued. If my buyback is going through, I will probably pick the 7 seat again. How hard would it be to access the 3rd row without removing the car seats? Does the Tesla bench seats offer any advantage over other SUV's bench seats in terms of 3rd row access or is it just as useless when you have child seats installed?

Reactions: MelaniainLA
As a personal anecdote, I would still totally go for the six-seater. The "aisle" in the middle (left by Tesla taking out the original seven seater's electric middle seat) is a very unique design in a car. Very different from the usual "captain's seats" too due to the spacing...

It makes for an airy interior and adds a touch of luxury. Of course the seats look better too and while limited, their electric control is elegant. And third-row legroom and access is better in the six-seater, so if one needs to carry exactly six people, it is better for that...

The new seven seater is obviously more practical for cargo and enables carrying seven people.

Five-seater lacks the front touchscreen rear air controls and extra rear fan/vents. Both six and seven seaters have that, so that's the same on both. (The five seaters second row does not move either, but reclines and folds, and adds an extra storage compartment where the third-row usually is.)

The best would be Tesla's original prototype design: folding electric monoposts. Now it is a compromise either way one chooses...

Last edited:
How hard would it be to access the 3rd row without removing the car seats?

Seven seat owners can hopefully elaborate, a few comments from someone watching the space from afar, to get the conversation started:

I guess you could not use the seatback tilt then, but had to rely on merely moving the seat base. Sounds like a tight fit, but perhaps doable for small children? Or if the seats are backward facing, maybe there is room for the seatback to tilt?

The practical problem is that the new seven seater "easy entry" (a third-row folding like extra button on the top of the seatback) relies on tilting the seatback a little and then releasing the seat for moving manually, so it is possible you can't use that with a child seat in place, but would have to move the seat base from the big lever instead?

Seven seater owners, please chime in.

For others following, the good and bad thing about the six-seater (and the old, no longer sold seven-seater that used the same electric monopost seats) is that the second-row seats do not bend or fold in any way, except their base moves and tilts. The upside of this is that child seats in those seats can remain in place...

Last edited:
Rare 6-seater + Console owner here.

As we're an older couple we don't have kids to transport, but we do love to do things with other couples. We opted for the console because we often do day trips with friends, usually 4 of us in total, but occasionally more. The second row "captain's chairs" with center console offer the ultimate in comfort and functionality for our second row passengers, giving them a center arm rest and storage space. Since the 2nd row seats move so far forward at the touch of a button, access to the 3rd row is huge without the need to climb in and through the center aisle.

Additionally, the console is actually contoured (scooped out) on the backside to provide maximum foot room for any 3rd row passengers. It's roomier than people realize.

Last edited:
I have the 7 seater. It's important for us because we regularly haul 7 people (including 3 kids). It's a bit cramped but it works for us.

I'm still not totally used to how the button works to tilt/move the seat vs lower the seat on the 2nd row but I like having the option to making it totally flat to haul things.

• Love
Reactions: b team
Six seater also has the benefit of an unobstructed view out the back window when all of the seats are up (no headrest on middle seat) Interior feels much more open and roomy. 3rd row is much easier on adults with a 6 seater because they can stretch out between the 2nd row seats.

Rare 6-seater + Console owner here.
Additionally, the console is actually contoured (scooped out) on the backside to provide maximum foot room for any 3rd row passengers. It's roomier than people realize.

When I sit in the 3rd row of our 6-seater and stretch out, my legs reach the front of the 2nd row, so I’d definitely have to disagree with the statement that 2nd-row console provides “maximum foot room for any 3rd row passengers.” And if you are being chauffeured, sitting in the rear and being able to stretch out your legs is one of the best rides possible in the X, trust me. The console possibly does provide more room vs. a 7-seater. I’ve tried 7-seat monopost and 7-seat bench and needing room for 2 car seats, the best option was 6-seat monopost. 7-seat monopost was a 2nd place contender but only available on CPO. Monopost is only logical thing for not needing to move car seats to access 3rd row. Bench seating is most logical thing for cargo and no kids car seats. In you don’t have a strong preference of kids vs cargo than yes, consider the console+6 seater vs the other choices depending on your needs. It obviously is good for some like @Mookie.

Finally regarding 6-seater. Not only dogs, but kids also love the center space. When we are parked and waiting for something (or dare I say, sitting in the garage on a bad day), they use it as a dance floor as I crank their choice of music.

Last edited:
Does anyone find the middle row captain seats in the 6 seater uncomfortable because of the lack of arm-rest? I am not so concerned with the (lack of) middle storage without the console, but when I sat in the middle on a test drive, I found not having an arm-rest pretty uncomfortable. Any one with long term middle seat experience with some thoughts on this?

Also - as an FYI, since the new 7 seat configuration (middle row folds flat), it has clearly become the most popular option! Pulling this information from the order & delivery sheet... so its not mass survey, but seems to stay consistent.

Seat Config
7 Seat 42.1%
6 Seat 22.6%
5 Seat 26.3%
6 Seat w/ Console 9.0%

• Informative
Reactions: AnxietyRanger