Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7-seater, 3'row access with child seats installed on 2'row

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi.

we have 2 kids (3 and 6) and a third on way.

Looking at the seven seater to have the oldest one in the third row and then have the two youngest in child seats on the second row.

My question is, does the second row allow for access to the third row when child seats are installed. anybody know?

Sucks that I gotta let my Base Performance model 3 go, but wifey wont let go of her 3' LR.

Hi.

Looking at the seven seater to have the oldest one in the third row and then have the two youngest in child seats on the second row.

My question is, does the second row allow for access to the third row when child seats are installed. anybody know?

Sucks that I gotta let my Base Performance model 3 go, but wifey wont let go of her 3' LR.
One more thing:
It is heresy to say this in these forums, but you might be better off with a proper minivan. It could be a Pacifica. But if I were in your shoes I’d do the minivan as the people mover, and 7 seater as secondary/emergency for the whole fam.

Reactions: C-Bus Y and jsight
Hi.

Should still be able to move the seat (with a car seat) to lean forward - and then access the 3rd row. It's a squeeze in and out for me when I tried without a car seat but should be better for a 6 year old.

The limiting factor is the back rest of the seat in front. But you can move those as much forward to give room for the forward leaning 2nd row, see time 1:34 in TB DaVinci YT video:

And time 1:06 in this video:

Also, you can program a "driver seat profile" to move the driver seat forward most when you need to tilt/lean the 2nd for 3rd row access.

Last edited:
I’ve got the 7 se
Should still be able to move the seat (with a car seat) to lean forward - and then access the 3rd row. It's a squeeze in and out for me when I tried without a car seat but should be better for a 6 year old.

The limiting factor is the back rest of the seat in front. But you can move those as much forward to give room for the forward leaning 2nd row, see time 1:34 in TB DaVinci YT video:

And time 1:06 in this video:

Also, you can program a "driver seat profile" to move the driver seat forward most when you need to tilt/lean the 2nd for 3rd row access.
i took delivery of my 7 seater. With the drivers seat in place, I can say with 100% certainty that I would not have room to move that 2nd row forward and tip it to get access to the third row with a rearward facing baby seat in place.

I’ve got the 7 se

i took delivery of my 7 seater. With the drivers seat in place, I can say with 100% certainty that I would not have room to move that 2nd row forward and tip it to get access to the third row with a rearward facing baby seat in place.

I see. Will a non-rearfacing car seat in 2nd row, lean forward enough to access the 3rd row?

One more thing:
It is heresy to say this in these forums, but you might be better off with a proper minivan. It could be a Pacifica. But if I were in your shoes I’d do the minivan as the people mover, and 7 seater as secondary/emergency for the whole fam.
Three small kids + primary vehicle = model X 6 seater, SUV with 6 seats, or minivan. Your cool card is gone, need to wait a few years to get it back.

If this vehicle is for “in a pinch” then you can probably make due. Take it from experienced parents here, your sanity is worth it. Grocery trips, long car rides, day care drop off, etc.

Reactions: acacia
Thank you for all replies.
Firstly, I wanna say I'm blessed and grateful for all my kids and wife.

Letting my M3P go is not a big problem, I drive about 6000 miles a year - mostly kindergarden, grocery store etc.
I very rarely use the acceleration, its more of a "fun to have" for me, than something I actually use very much

as for the model Y, As long as my 6 year old can access to the third row with a forward-facing seat installed on the second row then it will work out great.

as much as I love the refresh of the Model X, it is unfortunatly not an option budget wise.

How's the Y 7 seater split in the second row? 40/20/40, like the 5 seater?

If so why don't you just use the 40/40 for car seats and the 20 can come down so you kid can climb through to the back seats.

My 2 kids are 4/6 and they climb all over each other. With no issues. Just lay a towel down or something so seat doesn't get too dirty.

They are kids. They def dont care and prob you shouldn't either.

• Love
Reactions: EchoDelta
How's the Y 7 seater split in the second row? 40/20/40, like the 5 seater?

If so why don't you just use the 40/40 for car seats and the 20 can come down so you kid can climb through to the back seats.

My 2 kids are 4/6 and they climb all over each other. With no issues. Just lay a towel down or something so seat doesn't get too dirty.

They are kids. They def dont care and prob you shouldn't either.

In the model 3 its 60/40, besides, the middle seat dosent have a latch (isofix) - which I prefer to use.

and just the thought of having my kids with snowy boots (Norway) going over the middle seat kinda gets me down :p
Ive kinda locked myself to the seven seater, hoping that the entry seat to the third row will allow a forward-facing seat on it.

In the model 3 its 60/40, besides, the middle seat dosent have a latch (isofix) - which I prefer to use.

and just the thought of having my kids with snowy boots (Norway) going over the middle seat kinda gets me down :p
Ive kinda locked myself to the seven seater, hoping that the entry seat to the third row will allow a forward-facing seat on it.

right, my model 3 was 60/40 split.... my model y 5 seater is 40/20/40... I have white seats and we are in NYC and seats are clean, I put a towel and its not an issue at all. I am sure you will figure it out - lock it in and enjoy!!!

I just received my 7 seater and have 3 kids - 7, 4, 1. The two young ones are in the 2nd row (car seat, booster) and the 7 yr old is in the 3rd row with a booster. I have the 7 year old enter through the rear hatch by quickly popping one of the 3rd row seats down and then putting it back up. I find this to be the quickest way to get her in and out. This only works because she can buckle herself. Alternatively, i can slide the 2nd row 40% side forward and up before the 2nd row is occupied, but it is just not as convenient due to the shape of the door opening. We also have a Pacifica minivan which is the king for seating versatility. I have tried all 3 kids in the 2nd row (booster, booster, car seat) but it is slightly more difficult getting the boosters buckled and there are some sibling rivalry concerns as well.