Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7 seater and HVAC issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are coming from a 2016 Model S with the 3rd row rear facing jumpseats. One of the issues we've faced when our kids are in the 3rd row is the lack of heating/cooling back there. We live in Houston, and the heat can get (almost) dangerous back there in the middle of the summer.

One solution I've come up with - if it's too hot back there - are some battery powered fans that I clip onto the 2nd row (facing back), to move some of the cold air from the main cabin to the back row.

I haven't seen a 7 seat Model Y in person yet, but from what I can gather, I can't see any vents for the 3rd row occupants.

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on the 7 seater option, but if there isn't a solution to the lack of airflow back there, I may opt to save the $3k. We have 3 kids, but I like having the option to put 1 (or 2) of them back there if we carry another adult. I can put the money saved towards the Performance model (which you can't get with 7 seats)! :)

I've had my eye on the X since we got our S, but my wife isn't keen on the Falcon Wing doors.

• Informative
Reactions: RickyDaGr8
Initially that was a concern of mine too when I saw that there was no HVAC for the third row passengers. But luckily I’ll be able to cool the car by setting the temperature remotely from my phone before driving. Putting the middle seat in the second row down may also help to get airflow back there. I’ll have a car seat in the second row so it may be uncomfortable to fit two more people in the second row. So 2-2-2 may be a better option if there are 6 people

I live in San Antonio and have a 7 seater order I'm waiting to take delivery of. I'm cautiously optimistic about the airflow. The Model Y is a smaller car, and forward facing seats should "collect" airflow better than rear facing (which could block flow since the air would just hit the back of the seat). We all talk about how the leg room is going to be cramped in the 7 seater...because the car IS small.. so hopefully that same variable works to our advantage for air flow.

As hacky as it sounds...and I almost don't even want to type this but... I wonder how long before someone creates a "snorkel" that connects to the 2nd row vents and can be routed to the 3rd row. Hopefully that's not needed.

I wonder how long before someone creates a "snorkel" that connects to the 2nd row vents and can be routed to the 3rd row.
There are existing products for that, e.g., https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LXT23RA

We used one in our Subaru as there are no rear vents for the 2nd row. I was initially thinking it wouldn't work in the Model 3/Y as there's no traditional vents to attach to at the front, but it would indeed need to connect to the 2nd row vents as there's a ring that gets zip-tied for the removable "snorkel" part.

Reminds me of when I was a kid and rode in the way back of our family station wagon. It had a roll down back window that Dad would lower a bit when we were sitting back there.

It was only later he learned that cracking that back window was sucking dangerous exhaust gas into our compartment. While we would sleep like babies, often woke up with a headache :(

Imagine that Tesla has given this issue some thought as it was well talked about with their previous 7 seater S&X.

Initially that was a concern of mine too when I saw that there was no HVAC for the third row passengers. But luckily I’ll be able to cool the car by setting the temperature remotely from my phone before driving. Putting the middle seat in the second row down may also help to get airflow back there. I’ll have a car seat in the second row so it may be uncomfortable to fit two more people in the second row. So 2-2-2 may be a better option if there are 6 people

Can you put just the middle seat down on the Y? I assumed it was connected to the left seat.

Edit: I skimmed Two Bit’s video again, while I don’t think he dropped the middle seat down, it does look separate and probably does. Cool!

Last edited: