Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7-seater curb weight and max payload?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

In Norway the Model Y's low payload capacity (390 kgs/860 lbs) has come under harsh criticism, as it seems low for a car advertised as eventually being able to carry 7 passengers.

How is this solved with the US 7-seater model? What is its curb weight and allowed payload, compared to the 5-seater?

I am curious on the answer also.

Page 183 of the Model Y manual PDF gives "example calculations", starting with a Vehicle capacity weight of 954 pounds or 433 kg. I think this number is supposed to be officially documented on a sticker, which may change depending upon tires or other modest design changes since the manual was generated.

How much cargo Model Y can carry depends on the number and weight of passengers. The following calculated load limit examples assume passengers weigh 150 lbs (68 kg). If passengers weigh more or less, available cargo weight decreases or increases respectively.

Description Total (2 people) Vehicle capacity weight 954 lbs (433 kg) Subtract occupant weight 300 lbs (136 kg) computed from (2 x 150 lbs/68 kg) Available cargo weight 654 lbs (297 kg)

Description Total (5 people) Vehicle capacity weight 954 lbs (433 kg) Subtract occupant weight 750 lbs (340 kg) computed from (5 x 150 lbs/68 kg) Available cargo weight 204 lbs (93 kg)

• Informative
Reactions: X-pilot
My US 7 seater MY has a payload of 1157lbs.

Attachments

• PXL_20210824_120106079.jpg
    PXL_20210824_120106079.jpg
    425.4 KB · Views: 1,835
Wow! Thanks a lot! This makes the payload of the 5-seater seem like a joke in comparison.

No problem. I am surprised the manual doesn't have this info. I am also surprised the tongue weight is not on the sticker. I secretly hoped that if the payload increased so did the tongue weight capacity but I know that is wishful thinking.

If the Y could hit 1600lbs payload it would be competitive with larger SUVs.

So something else interesting, it appears that the rating isn't related to the wheels.
The 20" wheels are the "weakest" of the Model Y wheels (see tables for restricted towing)... but the 5-seat car I test drove with the higher load rating had the 20s.
@marym23's photo shows the lower max load on a 5-seat car equipped with 19" wheels - which are actually the strongest wheels available for the US Model Y.

So it's not the wheels.

This is just generally weird and inconsistent. Strange that there has not been more fuss about it, really.
I agree this entire topic is not well covered in depth. Here is my summary why it is hard to discuss. No idea about the real payload limitation.

1. It is hard to search for cargo weight (or payload weight / payload capacity) without the search also finding dozens or 100s of false hits on "towing" weight/capacity. Many posts/pages link to the "1000 lb" test on youtube... which is OK, but that was a demo not an analysis or explanation.
2. a google search with "-tow" is too restrictive. The legitimate posts which focus on cargo weight also discuss towing capacity (if for nothing else to inform the reader of the difference)
3. There are handful of helpful posts here on TMC and on reddit.
4. The Cargo Weight relates to suspension and bottoming-out, but also stopping distances. Manufacturers may want to quote a smaller stopping distance, and thus the Cargo Weight is somewhat-artificially lowered. In reality the car design is a trade off in Cargo Weight, Suspension, Comfort/Handling, and Stopping Distance, so the real-limit is often not a single number.
5. Post number six, from this TMC post back in April 2019, shows how to use a Consumer Reports table to compare what they call "max load". I just confirmed this table
Surprisingly, Top New Sedan Reviews | Best New Sedan – Consumer Reports still lets you see the max loads w/o an account. Click on Exterior Dimensions. You'll see the max load column. Top New SUV Reviews | Best New SUV – Consumer Reports is for SUVs. You'll notice that max load for smaller SUVs tends not to be real high either.

Note in the for what it is worth department (Consumer Report probably takes their data from the Manufactures data, but maybe they use the door stickers):
Consumer Reports quote a Max Load of 830 pounds for the MY and 1170 pounds for the MX.
Most of the compact SUV Max Loads are 800-900 pounds...
Consumer reports quotes a Max Load of 950 pounds for the 2021 Volvo XC60
Consumer reports quotes a Max Load of 920 pounds for the 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E
Consumer reports quotes a Max Load of 1390 pounds for the 2021 Toyota Highlander

So something else interesting, it appears that the rating isn't related to the wheels.
The 20" wheels are the "weakest" of the Model Y wheels (see tables for restricted towing)... but the 5-seat car I test drove with the higher load rating had the 20s.
@marym23's photo shows the lower max load on a 5-seat car equipped with 19" wheels - which are actually the strongest wheels available for the US Model Y.

So it's not the wheels.

It is most likely the rear casting that accounts for the difference.

Could it be that the tow hitch makes the difference? I mean cars with tow hitch can load more than without? Mostly a question here :)

I live en Denmark, and just realised that the car is registered with a max total payload including the driver of 390 kg.

You will fined if you are pulled over for a weight check and you exceed this limit.

Two adults and two teenage boys easily add up to 340 kg, leaving 50 kg for luggage??

If you add the tow hitch kit, which cannot be bought in Denmark yet, then you will add additional weight to the vehicle, further reducing the amount of usable payload.

In Denmark the rule is that the weight on the hitch (typically 80 kg) must be added to the cars payload.

Assuming that the high strength towing bar kit weight 20 kg, then we end up exceeding the weight limit in multiple cases, which seems crazy.

Let’s say an adult weight 85 kg and teenage boys weight 70 kg, just to be conservative, then we will have a passenger weight of 310 kg. Add to that the 20 kg of the tow bar with hitch etc. That leaves 60 kg in total for other stuff.

If you use a caravan you will exceed the limit without even adding a single kg of luggage in the car.

If you need to go to the airport for a travel, bringing standard 20 kg of luggage each, you are heavily exceeding the limit.

You will for sure not be able to go skiing as the weight of the ski box, skies etc exceeds the 60 kg alone.

Going on summer holidays with a total of 60 kg of luggage seems close to impossible.

It seems to add up to a conclusion saying that TMY is not a family car, unless you only have small children, and pack carefully.

Such a shame. I have ordered the car, but are seriously considering cancelling, as the TMY was meant as our primary car.

I think it's most likely the rear casting as well. My car was delivered in June 2020 with a serial number 17XXX. Either it's the rear casting or they just changed the rating as they felt it wasn't as accurate.
Reviving this thread: the European Model Y's are made in China with the full rear casting, and they all seem to have the 390 kg max load. Still weird, I didn't realize this when I ordered the car but it is a real problem. If the police was really going to check this any EV with a family with two teenagers traveling to the mountains for skiing here in Scandinavia would be fined. I guess the insurance isn't too happy about overloaded cars either.