Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7 Seater Pics and Details

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was able to sit in a 7 seater yesterday at Fashion Island Tesla Store in Newport Beach. The sales rep told me that because they were a flagship store, they received the first 7 seater on Tuesday 1/12. She took me down to the garage where the test drive vehicles are and they had one white 7 seater with black interior.

First impressions - the third row is definitely NOT for adults. I’m only 5’7’’ and my head almost hit the glass and definitely would hit if there were the slightest bump in the road. It was really difficult for me to squeeze in and out through the second row also. That being said, this will be perfect for our 7 and 9 year olds which is exactly what we’re getting the third row for.

The leg room was very narrow also - you’re basically sharing the 2nd row leg room by sliding those seats forward. The 2nd row has the traditional bar underneath that you can pull and slide into multiple positions. It also has the electronically slide on the bottom/side of the seat and the shoulder electronic slide. In order to slide the seats forward when you’re standing outside the car, you only have to use one hand on the shoulder lever and it slides and then pops up hugging the front seats which is nice. I’m not sure my 7 and 9 year olds will be strong enough to do it, but they’ll figure it out.

It appeared the third row when flat was about 5 inches higher than the rear cargo cover, so there is a little ramp piece they added to the cover as a transition.

Quick Facts:
Comfortable for adults? No
Vents? No
USB C? Yes x2
Cup holders? Yes x2
LATCH? No (but there is a place to anchor a car seat if you needed to (see back of third row in pics)
Performance available? No

Another rep shared this information with me from their training:

Model Y Seven-Seater
Can adults fit in the third-row seats?
As is the case with all three-row SUVs, taller passengers will be most comfortable in the first and second rows. Rare customers who expect to frequently have taller passengers riding in the third row may want to explore the surprising affordability of model X, which offers more space in its third row thanks to it’s larger overall size.

Why isn’t the seven seat configuration available on model Y performance?
This simplifies production as we expect the vast majority of model Y performance customers to continue to prefer the five seat interior, which provides the best handling dynamics - a core focus for these customers. Model Y long range is awfully quick, and it can be made even quicker by adding the acceleration boost upgrade. Model X is also a great alternative for some customers with Ludicrous performance available for seven passengers.

Can a third row be retrofitted to a five seat model Y?
Tesla does not offer this retrofit for existing or new model Y. If customers want the third row, they should order their model Y new as a seven seater.

Does the third row have LATCH attachments for child seats?
No. The third row is a great place for children who have grown out of child seats. Child seats should be used in the second row.

Does the third row have climate control vents?
The third row does not have dedicated vents. However it’s climate is controlled via the first and second row vents. Set in climate from the Tesla app in advance of a drive will maximize comfort in all three rows. Also, the “fresh air“ setting (turning recirculate off) improves airflow to the third row.

View attachment 627538 View attachment 627539 View attachment 627540 View attachment 627542 View attachment 627546

I was able to sit in a 7 seater yesterday at Fashion Island Tesla Store in Newport Beach.

Thanks for the info. I went to that Tesla showroom as soon as I saw your post in an article. I took footage and spend the majority of the day learning how to video edit and posting to you tube. Hopefully I can make a video that's helpful for the community. I will post updates here for those interested in watching.

https://twitter.com/tesletter/status/1350280656752787462?s=20

Er0pGeAU0AEYjfQ

Shows pics of a 5'4" women sitting in the back

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and GOFORIT5
When third row seats are DOWN, does that decrease 2nd row leg room in any way? Since we will NOT be using the third row the majority of the time, I just want to make sure there is plenty of 2nd row leg room (same as 5 seat config) and it is not compromised in any way by getting the 7 seater vs 5 seater version. In other words, how does the 2nd row leg room compare in the 7 vs 5 seater when NOT using the 3rd row?

When third row seats are DOWN, does that decrease 2nd row leg room in any way? Since we will NOT be using the third row the majority of the time, I just want to make sure there is plenty of 2nd row leg room (same as 5 seat config) and it is not compromised in any way by getting the 7 seater vs 5 seater version. In other words, how does the 2nd row leg room compare in the 7 vs 5 seater when NOT using the 3rd row?

As far as I could tell, the leg room is the same for the 2nd row when pushed all the way back (third row down) compared to the 5-seater second row. The third row being flat/down does not decrease second row leg room at all.

Reactions: jgator
I assume that’s with the 2nd row pushed back?

Yes, there is another photo in the series with “significantly” more leg room/knee clearance. One issue is that the tracks for the sliding second row don’t leave a lot of space for the third row–passenger side occupant–to put their left foot...

I think there is a link to the full blog post earlier in this thread.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
Yup. I did a test drive of the Y this morning. I asked if they had one to look at when she mentioned there is 7 seat option available. She said not yet
Not sure if it makes a difference but he told me i need to make an appointment for test drive of 7 seater, he said it is on display but need appointment to test drive, maybe your sales rep tought you wanted to test drive one, or maybe they dont have one at all who knows. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

How will the all weather mat work with the third row if the trunk lid is not flipped? Will they create a custom one for it? Will they just have you use the existing one and require you to flip the trunk lid? Will they have a foldable one? Questions...questions...