Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7 Seater Pics and Details

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actual video with people! It’s looking better and better!
https://youtu.be/sb-Jxr4hVjM
Wow, this video answered so many of my questions. This really looks great for my family. I have a 5, 12, and 13 year old. All could fit in the 3rd row if they had to, but my older boys won't last back there long... my youngest should be able to fit back there for a while, and my oldest will be off to college in 4.5 years so... again... perfect for our family.

Can't wait to get mine!

Thanks to GOFORIT5 for the tipoff! Just visited the Newport Beach showroom, seeing the car in person was much more helpful! My family were all able to sit comfortably in the 5 rear seats, even with a 6' driver seating position. Shorter driver means more seating space for the passengers.

HOWEVER, the 2nd row "lift" mechanism proved to be a little difficult to figure out. Once figured out, it was rather straight-forward, but I can totally see most people having trouble with it - much like how some people have trouble with the j-handles. But don't take my word for it, try it out yourselves!

How will the all weather mat work with the third row if the trunk lid is not flipped? Will they create a custom one for it? Will they just have you use the existing one and require you to flip the trunk lid? Will they have a foldable one? Questions...questions...
I'm waiting for the same answer. I was going to buy the Tesmanian set because they're on sale right now, but knowing that the rear trunk floor and the possibility of the 2nd row being slightly different because of the rails... I guess I should wait.

Also, there's the question of the 3rd row foot well. It's tiny... but imagine some kind of floor mat will be introduced.

Saw this on a Facebook post. The rear under storage trunk lid can be flipped to make the back completely flat with the seats down.

View attachment 628142 View attachment 628143
You know... looking at this picture made me realize that not only are the 3rd row seats "higher", but I suppose the 2nd row (since they match the 3rd row) are higher as well. I wonder if that's because of the rails.

@Itgb, curious, what is your decision? Going for the 7 seater Model Y, or Model X or other?

Model X isn’t really in the running. Our decision is mainly between an XC90 PHEV and a MY. Our kids are 2.5 and 5 and would like to have the option to carry 6 passengers in certain situations. I think we’re going to have to see MY 3rd row in person before making a final decision.

Reactions: GOFORIT5
You know... looking at this picture made me realize that not only are the 3rd row seats "higher", but I suppose the 2nd row (since they match the 3rd row) are higher as well. I wonder if that's because of the rails.

This is a good observation. So technically there is less headroom in the 2nd row as the 5 seater seats are 4-5 inches lower as they match the original trunk floor.

One plus is it would have potentially better leg positioning due to the higher seating position.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Oil4AsphaultOnly
Random thought/note: it was kind of hilarious to see people draw so many misinformed conclusions about the 7-seater and how it was going to be utterly useless and pointless, especially when the first pictures came out. One person even had the audacity to say that the back headrest would literally slam into the back glass when the hatch was closed as the picture, due to the angle and shape of the hatch, made it look like the headrest could only be used when the back hatch was open.

I mean, c'mon people, use some critical thinking here...

Random thought/note: it was kind of hilarious to see people draw so many misinformed conclusions about the 7-seater and how it was going to be utterly useless and pointless, especially when the first pictures came out. One person even had the audacity to say that the back headrest would literally slam into the back glass when the hatch was closed as the picture, due to the angle and shape of the hatch, made it look like the headrest could only be used when the back hatch was open.

I mean, c'mon people, use some critical thinking here...
Yeah, the way some people were going on was like n other CUV ever had a small third row in it before. Some people really hated this MY 3rd row since inception with no measurable metric to base that hate on. It’s so bizarre.

Yeah, the way some people were going on was like n other CUV ever had a small third row in it before. Some people really hated this MY 3rd row since inception with no measurable metric to base that hate on. It’s so bizarre.
Somehow, deep down, I knew it would be "acceptable" when it hit production.

Let's face the facts, it's still a TIGHT squeeze. You essentially HAVE to split the legroom with the 2nd row. If the the 2nd row is pushed all the way back, the 3rd row was an inch or two from the seat back. There will be compromises, but I still think it's worth it for families who can fit in the 2nd row 90% of the time, and need to space their offspring out from time to time.

I've been waiting for this car for almost a year and am so excited they're finally making it.

Somehow, deep down, I knew it would be "acceptable" when it hit production.

Let's face the facts, it's still a TIGHT squeeze. You essentially HAVE to split the legroom with the 2nd row. If the the 2nd row is pushed all the way back, the 3rd row was an inch or two from the seat back. There will be compromises, but I still think it's worth it for families who can fit in the 2nd row 90% of the time, and need to space their offspring out from time to time.

I've been waiting for this car for almost a year and am so excited they're finally making it.
It absolutely is a compromise. For the size of the Y, there was no alternative to that. If I had a couple small kids that would need to fit there occasionally then it’s a no brainer.

I just learned recently that the Model X 3rd row no longer has LATCH connectors in it as of late 2019 builds. So even that one is disqualified for people who have many kids in car seats and need/want to use LATCH in all of the rear seats.

Reactions: acacia
Think Tesla has done a great job on this 3rd row seat. Passengers will have lots of options to slide first and 2nd rows around to optimize every trip and passenger fittments.
While not going to have the space of a MiniVan, the appeal of a 3rd row seat will be appealing for many.

Parents typically want to have occasional seating capacity when they need to bring their kids friends along or get a ride home. While in reality this seldom happens, having the capacity and possibility will be enough for many.

No 3rd row heating (the car is on display now in the showroom at Fashion Island - employee confirmed there is no 3rd row heating)
F2FFC2EB-EB96-45D8-A7F1-67E80DFFDBAD.jpeg

f2ffc2eb-eb96-45d8-a7f1-67e80dffdbad-jpeg.628642

I can not believe how hard it is for people to actually post some "real world" use cases!

Please someone make a video with two people in the second row (of different ages/heights; maybe a parent and a 14 to 17 year old or something) and people in the 3rd row (hell, even two kids 5 to 12 or something would be ok).

If this gets to be less leg room than a Model 3's rear seats that second row is going to feel cramped pretty fast for anyone 5' 10" or more.

I also would be curious how easy it will be for kids to get in/out of the rear. They'll bounce right in and probably explode out with how much energy they have and flexible, BUT, those rails look fairly tall and look like a HUGE tripping risk.

Again, I don't think anyone expected these seats to be amazing, but for $3,000 extra this still doesn't seem like a really good use unless you're a family with really young kids and then I feel like it's a huge pinch and trip hazard. No extra cost option and sure, but $3k more on an already expensive car and I'm just scratching my head with why they think this will be worth adding the complexity to the manufacturing lines.