Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7 Seater Pics and Details

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doesn't look too bad, but I think the worst part of sitting in the 3rd row would be lack of forward visibility (i.e. kids getting carsick). If you look at the last photo from the driveteslacanada link, you can see that the 3rd row is staring at the "wall" of second-row seats ahead of them. Wouldn't be quite as bad if you only had 6 people and folded the middle seat of the 2nd row.

Agreed - and it sounds like you'll want to bring that middle seat down anyway for much better airflow. And bonus, poor man's captains chairs in the 2nd row!

• Love
Reactions: ryanjeffords
Does the third row have climate control vents?
The third row does not have dedicated vents. However it’s climate is controlled via the first and second row vents. Set in climate from the Tesla app in advance of a drive will maximize comfort in all three rows. Also, the “fresh air“ setting (turning recirculate off) improves airflow to the third row.

Do the third row seats have occupancy sensors? If so, the car could take of that if the HVAC is running in "auto" mode. If you detect people in the back back seats, to paraphase Douglas Quaid: "Give those people (fresh, not recirculated) air!".

Reactions: Watts_Up
Another vote for MX 7- seater if you plan to use these much at all and can possibly afford it. I have 7-seat MX and find the 3rd row barely acceptable for small-medium sized children. Adults get pretty claustrophobic back there. If the MY seats are even tighter I would not find them very useful.

Also, keep in mind that sitting further back in a vehicle typically makes bumps feel much bumpier. The MX has an air suspension, which helps, but the MY does not. People complain about the harsh ride in the front row, and it will be much harsher in the 3rd row.

Also, keep in mind that sitting further back in a vehicle typically makes bumps feel much bumpier. The MX has an air suspension, which helps, but the MY does not. People complain about the harsh ride in the front row, and it will be much harsher in the 3rd row.

This. I don't think people are considering how stiff the ride is which will be exacerbated in the back. I can see third row passengers getting jolted around like the gear I toss in my trunk.

Agreed, it makes sense in hind-sight. I used to have a convertible with tight back seats (Volvo C70) and while I didn't use the seats often they were nice to have occasionally in a pinch. I thought these two extra seats in the MY would be a bit like that but it doesn't look like anyone would appreciate getting in/out of there. Also while slight, I'm not sure I'm willing to give up the trunk space--for when we camp in the car.
Nice dog

Another vote for MX 7- seater if you plan to use these much at all and can possibly afford it. I have 7-seat MX and find the 3rd row barely acceptable for small-medium sized children. Adults get pretty claustrophobic back there. If the MY seats are even tighter I would not find them very useful.

If I thought it was worth the extra 30k I wouldn’t be in this waiting room, lol.

Based on these photos and the link to the ones with humans occupying the seats I am going to proceed with my 7-seater order. I want to use the vehicle for Uber-X, and will encourage the plentiful ~5' 4" ladies to ride there. Most trips are short so riders may not object. Claustrophobia considerations aside.

Now that is If the company still plans to ship the LR-RWD version I signed up for.

Reactions: Guy V and DanCar
Do you recall if the 2nd row seats in the 7 seater any more or less comfortable compared to the 5 seater? I am interested in any comfort changes for the 2nd row in regard to thinner cushions or other material changes outside of the sliding rails.

Did anyone genuinely think the 3rd row in the 7 seater would be comfy for adults? Growing up, my parents had a 7-seater Mercury Sable wagon I took over in high school and those seats in the way back were squishy despite the Sable being pretty big. And if anyone recalls the even older Brady Bunch-style station wagons from the 70s/80s, their seats in the way back weren't bastions of comfort either. I love my Tesla, but I had no expectation that these new back seats would accommodate anyone besides the 10 and under crowd.

Did anyone genuinely think the 3rd row in the 7 seater would be comfy for adults? Growing up, my parents had a 7-seater Mercury Sable wagon I took over in high school and those seats in the way back were squishy despite the Sable being pretty big. And if anyone recalls the even older Brady Bunch-style station wagons from the 70s/80s, their seats in the way back weren't bastions of comfort either. I love my Tesla, but I had no expectation that these new back seats would accommodate anyone besides the 10 and under crowd.
Oh yeah, I spent time in the rearmost seats of a 1976 Ford LTD wagon. Until my older brothers grew up and left the nest, and I migrated to the middle seat. I’m doing the same thing to my kids.
Every generation thinks they reinvent things. It’s rarely so. :-D

Bottom line, this and the X suck as minivans. The X is just a hella expensive terrible minivan. If you need a minivan, you get one from Honda, Toyota, or Chrysler. The PHEV Chrysler is actually pretty great, and we love our Honda, it’s our third one. But for an emergency I think this Y will fill in swimmingly. I think. I’ll post again after they deliver the damn thing.

Thanks for the feedback. That's actually more promising than I thought..

I have a 5, 12, and 13 year old. All of them are skinny and I think all of them would fit fine back there for the occasional trip. We certainly aren't planning to use the 3rd row every day.

Another thing that looks promising is that there's actually a footwell in the 3rd row! If you watched that video of the guy who mocked out his own 3rd row, there was literally no foot well (because it was on the 5 seater).

These pics and your review are really helpful. Thanks again!

For me the third row solves the shoulder room issue instead of legroom. We have three kids as well and my hope is there's just enough room in that third row for the shortest one. Three in the 2nd row is just trouble for us. Fights happen in no time. Most of the reason they prefer our Odyssey (tangent, Tesla please make a minivan !!) is the side-to-side space. Granted there's limits and at some point if their knees are crushed by the seat it front, I'm trading one issue for another but if it's at least tolerable, I'll order it. We'll do a test load of the family before we order it but hoping the kids approve.

Reactions: acacia
For me the third row solves the shoulder room issue instead of legroom. We have three kids as well and my hope is there's just enough room in that third row for the shortest one. Three in the 2nd row is just trouble for us. Fights happen in no time. Most of the reason they prefer our Odyssey (tangent, Tesla please make a minivan !!) is the side-to-side space. Granted there's limits and at some point if their knees are crushed by the seat it front, I'm trading one issue for another but if it's at least tolerable, I'll order it. We'll do a test load of the family before we order it but hoping the kids approve.
This is exactly us! The third row will be great because our 3 kids fight all the time when they sit next to each other. Splitting them up will help a lot.

I wonder if you could get information about the features and versions of stuff with that vehicle.
- I assume double pane glass
- I hope heated steering wheel
- if you could ask for pics of the climate control UI and frunk area we may see if it has the “biohazard” HEPA filter.
- do you happen to know which headlights it comes with (out of curiosity)
- is the center console “new” or classic style.

thanks again for taking the time to share!

I only know the center console was still the “old” one. I’m hoping they swap to the new one as rumored by end of Q1 when we expect to take delivery. The new one looks great in the M3.

So no chance of installing child seats in both rows of the 7-seater? Also, is it possible for someone to enter/exit the 3rd row when (multiple) child seats are installed in the 2nd row? I'm guessing no on that one too.

Sounds like this variant is only going to be useful after the youngest children outgrow car seats and before the oldest get very large. A fairly small window of time.

I think you could get child seats in all 2nd and 3rd row seats, but they would have to be narrower seats and would still be very squishy.

The 3rd row could fit two boosters and even possibly a smaller toddler seat by itself. Again, even though they might fit and you can secure with seat belt instead of Latch, I would still not recommend having one back there often due to the hassle of strapping kids in and legroom that would be eaten up from the 2nd row.

Also, you cannot slide either side of the 2nd row forward with a car seat secured. If I had two seats in my car on the regular, I would probably put one behind driver and a second in the passenger third row. That way, you can slide single, right 2nd row forward to access rear car seat. This is assuming you need the additional two second row seats for other kids, so minimum four kids in the back. It could work, but just would be squishy.

No way kids car seats can get in the third row. Obviously you can physically put it there but won't work.
When my 4 year old sits in his car seat in the third row of the model X he has barely any space for his feet. Remember their legs are not long enough to get their feet under the second row.
Especially tight when wearing winter boots.
The Y obviously has less room, so I can't imagine it would work. Don't even have to see it to realize this.