Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7-Series Competitor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't assume one way or another that the BMW 3 series means the Tesla 3rd gen car has the same appointments and luxury rating as the beamer. I was also told that the "Bluestar" is comparable (in size) to a Jetta.

I think it is slightly bigger than that. I think Tesla is aiming at being a Luxury Car company. Not a Toyota or Nissan or Chevy. But you are right I should not assume :) so far all of the comparisons from Tesla have been Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Porsche etc.... for the Model S and all of the comparisons for the Roadster were high end sports cars like Porsche and Ferrari.

Last edited:
I think it is slightly bigger than that.... so far all of the comparisons from Tesla have been Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Porsche etc.... for the Model S and all of the comparisons for the Roadster were high end sports cars like Porsche and Ferrari.

All I have is a Tesla exec. telling me "Jetta".

Comparing the Roadster's sparse interior to a Porsche or Ferrari should probably be done by those who have owned both. To me it seems to have more in common with it's Lotus racing roots.

Comparing the Roadster's sparse interior to a Porsche or Ferrari should probably be done by those who have owned both.

I can't quite get there since the 911 was an '00. But the materials in the Roadster are better - not as cheap looking, especially the dash tray and center console - and yes, the dash itself (the 911 just screamed faux leather). And the ergonomics, in spite of the zero-automation HVAC controls, are better. What? Yeah, the 911 HVAC controls were obtuse unless you were willing to set a temp and let it do it's thing sucking engine power down with A/C when it felt like it. The cruise control is about the same, the lights are easier to deal with in the Roadster. The Roadster's steering wheel is a darned sight better - except for the horn buttons, but I wouldn't give up the better size (!!!) and nice feel for that. I actually prefer the Roadster's top to the 911's motorized one, because the 911 top always looked so kludgy from the inside, and took too long to go up or down. It was even worse before I replaced it and it had that super-nasty plastic backlight. Can you imagine? The Porsche standard head unit was a complete cluster$&#! of tiny buttons that were hard to hit and were completely unlabeled usefully. Sure, the 911 had motorized adjustable seats, which were nice. And the hand adjusted side mirrors in the Roadster kinda suck (and after having driven in the UK, I want those see-everything mirrors).

But then part of it is that I can forgive a whole lot of the Roadster interior because the drive-y bits are just soooo much better. So, so, soooooo much better.

I was ... told that the "Bluestar" is comparable (in size) to a Jetta...

Basic modern compact family car... (Not a bad car to 'benchmark' for Bluestar ideas):
2012-volkswagen-jetta-gli.jpg

vw-jetta-2.jpg

Check out this older tricked out model:
Vw-Jetta-1.jpg

VW_Jetta_228-1024.jpg

Last edited:
When I saw that white Jetta interior I thought "why another white interior?" (LEAF is white... Model S prototypes are doing white...) But then I realized that the auto manufacturers probably like white interiors. They look old/dirty more quickly, so people are more inclined to want to buy a new car sooner!

When I saw that white Jetta interior I thought "why another white interior?" (LEAF is white... Model S prototypes are doing white...) But then I realized that the auto manufacturers probably like white interiors. They look old/dirty more quickly, so people are more inclined to want to buy a new car sooner!

I believe that interior is from a concept or mark 6 jetta. The lightest interior I remember in the MK5s was like a cream. I'm partial to black :)