Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7 years later what is your 100% on your 85kWh battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a used 2015 S85D with 12,004 miles in April 2019. 100% still showed 270 miles. No idea how the original owner charged. I’m doing about 50% home with NEMA 14-50 and 50% SC. Still showing 243 miles at 90% charge.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
2012 P85. One of the first 500 Model S manufactured. Original Type A pack (thats limited to 90kW at SC). I bought the car CPO at 44k miles. Odometer now showing 97k miles. I seldom charge to 100%, but at 90% SOC the car shows 216-220 miles, so I imagine at 100% SOC I would be around 240-242 miles.

I have 2014 S 85 "D" pack.
I had normal degradation until May 15.
On May 13 full rated range was 247 miles ~92%.
After the 2019.16.2 it dropped to 217 miles
Tesla still claims within "normal" degradation.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190618-200439_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190618-200439_Chrome.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 83
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP
My S85 from 2014 with 240.000km has range 377km at 100%.
Battery is now at 75.8kWh , estimated 77.5kWh when it was new. Degradation 2.2%. I live in Sweden Cold climate saves battery.
My car calculates range obviosly by asuming 201wh/km (75.8/377). But on consumtion screen typical rate is 205wh/km, nominal 165Wh/km. Its also strange it increases tha estimated consumtion per km , when the SOC gets low ! When I have 10% battery left it calculates range with a estimated consumtion of over 300Wh/km !
Its diffrent for diffrent cars and diffrent nations. Thats why we cant judge batteryhealth by looking at rated miles. Buy a canbus reader to get the real result.

I have one and use TM-Spy to read the canbus were tesla displays info to its own systems. I see my car reports 0% battery left and zero range left on car display, when i still have about 4% left usabel battery on canbus data. Dont know why tesla lies to driver about real battery energy, but Tesla changed that sometime, earlier the battery procent on canbus was identical with what was displayed for driver.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
My S85 from 2014 with 240.000km has range 377km at 100%.
Battery is now at 75.8kWh , estimated 77.5kWh when it was new. Degradation 2.2%. I live in Sweden Cold climate saves battery.
My car calculates range obviosly by asuming 201wh/km (75.8/377). But on consumtion screen typical rate is 205wh/km, nominal 165Wh/km. Its also strange it increases tha estimated consumtion per km , when the SOC gets low ! When I have 10% battery left it calculates range with a estimated consumtion of over 300Wh/km !
Its diffrent for diffrent cars and diffrent nations. Thats why we cant judge batteryhealth by looking at rated miles. Buy a canbus reader to get the real result.

I have one and use TM-Spy to read the canbus were tesla displays info to its own systems. I see my car reports 0% battery left and zero range left on car display, when i still have about 4% left usabel battery on canbus data. Dont know why tesla lies to driver about real battery energy, but Tesla changed that sometime, earlier the battery procent on canbus was identical with what was displayed for driver.

When new, your Model S85 had the range of 426 km (265 miles).

1 - (377/426) =~11.5%
That's is not a degradation of 2.2% !!!

Am I reading something wrong?

When new, your Model S85 had the range of 426 km (265 miles).

1 - (377/426) =~11.5%
That's is not a degradation of 2.2% !!!

Am I reading something wrong?
You cant judge batterysize by looking at kilometers displayed. Tesla can any minute change how they calculate distance , meaning the rated Wh/km can change. I see how the kWh/km used for range calculation change during a a singel tripp !
I only trust actual reported battery capacity from teslas own (quite secret canbus, to read it you must have a special adapter, the normal OBD2 canbus port dont lead anyware, its a dudd. Someone on the forum has calculated usable energy in the diffrent batterys when they were new, and it was 77.5kWh for the S85. Pansonic battery capacity are known and their total numbers in a Tesla is known. Max charge voltage is now, there is no mystery. Tesla s85 had 81.5kWh battery with 4kWh brickprotection in the bottom leaving 77.5kWh usable. Maybe Tesla used a smaller brickprotection first months to get higher reported km/miles to new customers, to make them happy for a while ? Or maybe they just used a lower Wh/km in their calculation first month and gradualy changed it to more reasonable numbers? Maybe that explane why range dropp so fast first year?

Reactions: Droschke
You cant judge batterysize by looking at kilometers displayed. Tesla can any minute change how they calculate distance , meaning the rated Wh/km can change. I see how the kWh/km used for range calculation change during a a singel tripp !
I only trust actual reported battery capacity from teslas own (quite secret canbus, to read it you must have a special adapter, the normal OBD2 canbus port dont lead anyware, its a dudd. Someone on the forum has calculated usable energy in the diffrent batterys when they were new, and it was 77.5kWh for the S85. Pansonic battery capacity are known and their total numbers in a Tesla is known. Max charge voltage is now, there is no mystery. Tesla s85 had 81.5kWh battery with 4kWh brickprotection in the bottom leaving 77.5kWh usable. Maybe Tesla used a smaller brickprotection first months to get higher reported km/miles to new customers, to make them happy for a while ? Or maybe they just used a lower Wh/km in their calculation first month and gradualy changed it to more reasonable numbers? Maybe that explane why range dropp so fast first year?

Yes, I know exactly what you mean by wh/mi.

Last edited:
US Tesla range is calulated with a lower consumtion rate than european giving them a longer range on the display but their actual batterycapacity and actual range in comparison can be shorter, due to hot climate. Battery kWh is a fact, range displayed is just an unequal calculation. Elon Musk has said -it looks like Teslas in Alaska can drive forever, hardly any degradation (climate) . I love my cold climate Tesla.

US Tesla range is calulated with a lower consumtion rate than european giving them a longer range on the display but their actual batterycapacity and actual range in comparison can be shorter, due to hot climate. Battery kWh is a fact, range displayed is just an unequal calculation. Elon Musk has said -it looks like Teslas in Alaska can drive forever, hardly any degradation (climate) . I love my cold climate Tesla.

I thought your consumption is higher in cold. My winter consumption in freezing temperature is up to 30% higher. Can you back up your claim that range is higher in cold? The range is always better in summer than winter. That's a fact.

Where/when did Elon Musk say "it looks like Teslas in Alaska can drive forever"? I can't find any source for it.

Last edited: