Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7 years later what is your 100% on your 85kWh battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought my 2015 S85D used from Tesla in April with only 12,004 miles. Here is my TeslaFi battery graph report. You can see a slight degradation with the cold weather.
4702CCA6-45EF-49B1-A623-F00E6D44E293.png

There is no difference between European and US. The typical is typical in both. My German 85 has typical has 256miles, my American 258miles typical.

For American, I thought the choices were rated and ideal. That's what it is for my car. No typical option.

Ran is correct. There is not even a "typical" display on American cars. It is "Rated" and "Ideal" instead.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
2013 P85 w 65,000 miles;
265 miles @100%
Suspect you have your units set to "ideal" instead of "rated". There is no way your 2013 P85 w/ 65,000 miles is getting 265 rated miles at 100% SOC unless you received a battery replacement recently.

There is no difference between European and US. The typical is typical in both. My German 85 has typical has 256miles, my American 258miles typical.
US is called rated, not typical.

Don't update or you will be super restricted on charging and lose 30 miles range with reduced regen
Did you think that maybe Tesla did this to protect our batteries? While it's not great and might be a symptom of the batteries losing capacity faster than expected, it's still much more likely than Tesla just wants to annoy us with shorter range and less regen.

I have a friend, whose tesla Model S 2014 is still on original battery and about 350.000 miles. There were and are no problems with the battery, and the car had been charged on SC for about 90% of time.

so the recent „downgrade“ on regen and charging is maybe a means of keeping battery in good condition, but not necessary.

• Informative
Reactions: T.R.T.e.s.l.a.
Did you think that maybe Tesla did this to protect our batteries? While it's not great and might be a symptom of the batteries losing capacity faster than expected, it's still much more likely than Tesla just wants to annoy us with shorter range and less regen.
Of course I think that, whatever other explanation can it be other than...something not right or safe so drastic changes needed in update.

But it does not change the fact that the performance of the vehicle is now seriously changed from what you signed up for when you handed over the cash based on the specs they gave.

the American „rated” is obviously same as „rated” in Europe,
No, it's not.
and „ideal” is typical.
No, it's not.

This has been extensively covered many times before. It is annoying and confusing that the North American number called "rated' is entirely a different thing than the European number called "rated".
Higher: "Ideal" (US) and "Rated" (Europe)
Lower: "Rated" (US) and "Typical" (Europe)

Reactions: wodnik7
Finally got my custom cable and obd2 adapter.

2013 (feb build) P85, B Pack.
Version: 2019.16.2
(I've been hitting NO to updates for a while...)
201k miles.
  • Original battery.
  • MCU died and was replaced at around 150k miles.
  • Motor was replaced 5 times.
  • various non-battery related stuff (not getting into that here, aka door handles, control arms 3x, etc)
Charged to 100% (well, according to scanmytesla it stopped at 97.5%, I guess it can't go to 100%?)

Scan my Tesla Readings:

Odometer: 201039 miles
Nominal full pack: 68.7 kWh
<-- based on original of 81.5 kWh, seems I am at ~16% battery degredation
Nominal remaining: 67.1 kWh
Usable full pack: 64.7 kWh
Usable remaining: 63.1 kWh
SOC: 97.5% <-- I had slider at 100% and it said Charging Complete...not sure why it did not go to 100%?
SOC Min: 97.6%
SOC UI: 97.6%
Rated range: 226 mi
Typical range: 262 mi
Full rated range: 232 mi
Full typical range: 269 mi
Cell min: 4.141 Vc <-- does not look like I am capped, but I'm on old firmware and refuse to update...
Cell avg: 4.144 Vc
Cell max: 4.146 Vc

Cell diff: 0.004 Vcd
Cell imbalance: 4.27 mV

Regarding supercharging, I still see ~112kW when my SOC is ~5-10%.
Session last night:
  • Started charging at 6.8% SOC (15 miles rated range, 4.1 kWh usable remaining) ~112kW charge rate.
  • At 39.4% it was down to 65kW charge rate. 20 minutes total charging time from 6.8% to 39.4%.
  • At 51.8% it was down to 52kW charge rate. 30 minutes total charging time from 6.8% to 51.8%.
  • I stopped charging at 60.4% SOC (141 miles rated range, 39.1 kWh usable remaining). It took exactly 40 minutes to go from 6.8% to 60.4%.
Yes, overall supercharging rates suck. It takes about 1.5 hours to charge up past 90%, over 2 hours if I try to hit 100%.

Last edited:
July 2013 P85+.
B-pack.
31,958 miles.
SW 2019.40.2.3.

Rated miles new: 265 miles.
90% = 230 miles
100% = 256 miles

Degradation: 3.4%

So battery is doing great but I do see the capped charge rates. I only use an urban SC but even there I see a much earlier taper than before.

Reactions: wodnik7