Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7 years later what is your 100% on your 85kWh battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought your consumption is higher in cold. My winter consumption in freezing temperature is up to 30% higher. Can you back up your claim that range is higher in cold? The range is always better in summer than winter. That's a fact.

Where/when did Elon Musk say "it looks like Teslas in Alaska can drive forever"? I can't find any source for it.
They are talking about two entirely different things. Driving consumption is higher in cold because of all the extra energy draw needed for heating.

The quote from Musk about Alaska is talking about the long term health/life/degradation of a battery that spends most of its life sitting in either a hot climate or cold climate. Batteries that live their lives sitting in cold climates are more protected from long term degradation than batteries that live in Phoenix, Arizona.

I thought your consumption is higher in cold. My winter consumption in freezing temperature is up to 30% higher. Can you back up your claim that range is higher in cold? The range is always better in summer than winter. That's a fact.

Where/when did Elon Musk say "it looks like Teslas in Alaska can drive forever"? I can't find any source for it.
Yes consumption is higher in Cold, but degradation is less. When we get summer we have low consumption again and problably better range than a car thats been driving longtime in hot conditions. Awerge consumption in Sweden is certanly higher than in US, but we have problably higher battery capasity because of less battery degradation.

I cant find were Elon said this about tesla battery degradation in Alaska, belive it was on Twitter, or maybee in a book about him Im been reading.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
I have a 2013 P85. at 90% I get 223-224 miles, which translates to 248-249 at 100%. Or about 6%-6.5% degradation.

BUT my car just broke down. At first I thought it was the 12 volt battery, but I was just told its the high voltage battery. We'll see what happens. Thankfully still under warranty.

2013 S85 110k miles. 225 miles at 100%. I’ve lost 5-7 miles/year every year I’ve had it. They keep telling me everything is within spec and this is normal degradation. I don’t know of anyone who has worse degradation than I. I have an appointment with the service center today to have them check the battery but I’m sure they’ll repeat the same song and dance. Anyone have any thoughts on how I should proceed?

2013 S85 110k miles. 225 miles at 100%. I’ve lost 5-7 miles/year every year I’ve had it. They keep telling me everything is within spec and this is normal degradation. I don’t know of anyone who has worse degradation than I. I have an appointment with the service center today to have them check the battery but I’m sure they’ll repeat the same song and dance. Anyone have any thoughts on how I should proceed?

Ask them to do a CAC test on the battery and tell you what the Ah (amp-hour) rating if your battery is. A new 85kWh battery is about 230 Ah. So you can then calculate your degradation. You can call Tesla service and ask them to do the CAC test remotely.

Another thing to do is get the ScanMyTesla app on an Android phone, along with an OBDlink scanner and an appropriate adapter cable. You can then see what voltage the cells in the battery are charged to at 100% SOC. If the cells charge to 4.2 volts your loss is due to degradation. If, however, the cells are charged to a voltage less than 4.2 volts at 100% SOC, your battery is being capped by Tesla. There is a very long (over 5500 posts and growing) thread on this subject herein, including a class action lawsuit that has been filed.

Funny, everyones older S85 or P85's a few months ago were getting 240 to 250 miles range, after that update that stole a load of range everyones getting 220.

My S85 is Nov 2014 116k miles and 220 miles @ 100%, more miffed at the slow charging rates than the loss of 20 miles.

I would get 215 miles, but on top of beng capped my car il not charge higher than 95-96%. It will say complete and just stop.

• Informative
Reactions: T.R.T.e.s.l.a.
2013 P85+, 76K miles...charges to 250. The only time I care is when I'm on an out of town trip and even then I would trade additional range for faster charging. A new Raven S would be about the best of both worlds...alas, not likely to happen any time soon and total overkill for the handful of out of town driving trips we take.

Not "everyone," by far. There are only 73 cars listed on the "impacted cars" Google spreadsheet. I'm at 254 miles @ 100%, and have been for at least a year/20k miles.

I’ve been denying updates for like 2 years now almost lol my 100% is only 230 after 200k miles. Maybe I should update and watch my range drop drastically then try to get a warranty replacement?

Reactions: David99