Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7 years later what is your 100% on your 85kWh battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...And the supercharging speeds are horrendous as well... I am in the market for a newer model S or upgrading to a model X but this experience has left such a sour taste. I fear that the 100 batteries won’t be far behind in the capping BS!...
After owning two Teslas, I will not buy another until we have more time to see if all Tesla batteries will affected by capping. Give them another 2-3 years before giving them any more $. The only way I'd take a new Tesla in the next few years if it was 100% free, given to me. There's zero chance I'll give them money until we know if every Tesla gets degraded after 4-6 years through software updates.

Reactions: bkp_duke
After owning two Teslas, I will not buy another until we have more time to see if all Tesla batteries will affected by capping. Give them another 2-3 years before giving them any more $. The only way I'd take a new Tesla in the next few years if it was 100% free, given to me. There's zero chance I'll give them money until we know if every Tesla gets degraded after 4-6 years through software updates.

Agreed.
Elon probably read your post and will be holding off on battery caps til year number 7! Lol.

• Funny
Reactions: InternetDude
It’s very unfortunate actually. And the supercharging speeds are horrendous as well.
I actually love the vehicle so much that I can’t see myself driving anything other than a Tesla. I am in the market for a newer model S or upgrading to a model X but this experience has left such a sour taste. I fear that the 100 batteries won’t be far behind in the capping BS!
My wife drives a model 3, been thinking about upgrading it for a performance but once again all I can think about is being bent over by Tesla.

A recent update is already capping P100Ds maximum power.It's the same update that increased new P100Ds maximum power when using the new launch mode. As soon as folks start posting actual cell voltages from canbus scans, I'm sure we'll see they've been range capped as well rather than having their range reduced by natural degradation.

A recent update is already capping P100Ds maximum power.It's the same update that increased new P100Ds maximum power when using the new launch mode. As soon as folks start posting actual cell voltages from canbus scans, I'm sure we'll see they've been range capped as well rather than having their range reduced by natural degradation.

I dont understand, this cant be right? My april S P100D got the new launch mode but not the "cheetah" stance. Got more power from the start. Haven`t experienced any loss in power. So what P100D`s got capped in max power?

....and there we have it!
Ouch!!
Yes, the range says something lik 470km full, don`t remember exactly. Few weeks ago I drove the car from 100% battery to 5%, over 3-4 days. Normal driving with 21" wheels. Some highway, some of the addictive accelerations, some city, and all in dry weather, with about 15-20 degrees celsius.
I got to 396km, which is about 420-430km for the full battery, and I see that as a realistic range. Average consumption was 199 kwh/km.
Change tyres and I could go 470 I think. Skip the accelerations and I should be close to EPA which is 509km. Not too bad, but 84-87kwh usable, maybe less, is low..

All numbers are approx, should not be far off.

December 2014 build. 214000 Miles. treated pretty badly. Been supercharged hundreds of times, charged to 100% who knows how many times. Accidentally left there a few times. Been to zero about four times. Get 195 miles at 80%. To say it has a 244 mile range is probably not realistic, as the charging for the last 5% is so very slow that the cap is effectively at 95%. still, one can get it to charge all the way up to 244 if you're very, very, patient. I still like the thing. Would like to buy a newer Tesla. Donations accepted!

I have also posted this on the Dutch part of the forum but here a translation. My wife and I went to Germany for the weekend to visit our friends. I charged the car fully to 100% resulting in a range of 372km. When we went back up the Netherlands we had to charge on our way back. Our stop was 80km away in Moers where we drove to with 150kmh on autopilot on the autobahn. I plugged the car in with 10% Charge left and I couldn't believe the screen. The car started charging at 10% with 130kw and of course it tapered but I was impressed. We went for a coffee and were able to resume our drive. I am on 2020.20.1.

Attachments

• IMG-20200629-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20200629-WA0000.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 100
  • Screenshot_20200626-145818.jpg
    Screenshot_20200626-145818.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 81
Hello All,

Newb question here: I am likely going to buy a very nice 7/2013 Model S with 80,000 miles later today. I inspected it at a small used dealership yesterday and love it. But it had a low state of charge and showed only 40 miles range when I test drove it. Dealer will charge it to 100% today and show me the rated range at full charge. He is trying to set low expectations low saying range of about 225 miles at 100% SOC is normal for seven years old and 80K miles. After reading this thread I have the sense that I should see something like 240 - 250 miles, or 9% - 6% degradation. I also read with interest about "capping" and sudden loss of range following the 2016.16.x update, and , of course, have no idea if that has been done to this car.

My question is: should I set a minimum number for range shown at 100% charge? For instance, should I require it to be 240 miles or higher? This concern is the only thing that kept me from purchasing the car yesterday and I am not sure how critical it is, or whether to make my decision to buy contingent on a reasonable looking range number. A follow-on question: I read about cycling the battery by discharging to 10% and slowly charging to 100% as a way to "reset" the BMS so it sees the full capacity of the battery -- how effective is this in increasing the range the car reports?

In short, if this dealer is correct and the 100% range is only 225 miles, A) should I buy the car? And, B) what it the likelihood that cycling the battery in this way would "improve" the range? Thanks in advance -- I hope to be joining you all in driving my very own new/used Tesla very soon!

My question is: should I set a minimum number for range shown at 100% charge? For instance, should I require it to be 240 miles or higher? This concern is the only thing that kept me from purchasing the car yesterday and I am not sure how critical it is, or whether to make my decision to buy contingent on a reasonable looking range number. A follow-on question: I read about cycling the battery by discharging to 10% and slowly charging to 100% as a way to "reset" the BMS so it sees the full capacity of the battery -- how effective is this in increasing the range the car reports?

In short, if this dealer is correct and the 100% range is only 225 miles, A) should I buy the car? And, B) what it the likelihood that cycling the battery in this way would "improve" the range? Thanks in advance -- I hope to be joining you all in driving my very own new/used Tesla very soon!

1. My seven year old S85 with 130K miles was down about 8%. (Originally the consensus was 5% the first year and 1% every year thereafter, which would make 11%, so it did better than the estimate.)
2. The charge rate on every older car has been reduced, so Supercharge time is double what it used to be.
3. What you are referring to is battery balance. The first step is to see if it actually needs balancing (there are some ODB port analysis metres (They have their own individual threads on TMC). Full cycling the battery is hard on it, so don't do it.
4. I now have a new X.

Jerry, thanks for that data point. I would be very happy if this Model S shows range like yours did. Taking your formula, an 11% loss should show 236 miles of range. If range is much below that should I pass on the car? I'm not clear that what I was referring to is balancing the cells -- I had the impression that if the car doesn't go through a large charging cycle now and then that it loses track of the actual capacity of the battery, and a deep cycle charge resets this. But balancing the cells is a question too, and I will look at those threads.

It's highly dependent upon how much supercharging the car had. That seems to be the big thing that degrades battery performance. Unfortunately without root access to the car (which you won't have), there is no way to tell how much it was supercharged.

So, range at 100% state of charge is a decent substitute for knowing supercharging kwh.

As an aside, a friend of mine that works at Tesla says that the battery engineers have told him that if you charge at about 20A (240V), over the life of the car you will see very little battery degradation.

Gents,
Following up: the dealer charged the car with their Tesla charger, and it came up to a 96% SOC showing 223 miles. The charger would not take it beyond that percentage. 100% charge would equal 232 miles, or slightly more than an 11% degradation from the rated 265 mile range when new. I went ahead and bought the car as I need a usable 180 mile range for a two-way commute several times a week, and I think this will do it. I may find an option to charge during the work day, so then I should be able to do the return 90 mile leg without any worries whatsoever. Thanks for your input!