Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7 years later what is your 100% on your 85kWh battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Signature P85 with a Type A pack here. 116k miles. Medium supercharger usage, maximum charge rate of 88kw, but derates to 50-60kw pretty quickly. I mostly charge up to 90% with a Siemens Versicharge at work at 6kw. I get 238-239 at 100% SOC, lately I've been charging to 205 miles at 90% SOC. Today I topped up using a 110V charger and charged to 209 at 90%. Is my BMS just giving me a slightly different reading? GOM taking a wild-ass-guess?

Gents,
Following up: the dealer charged the car with their Tesla charger, and it came up to a 96% SOC showing 223 miles. The charger would not take it beyond that percentage. 100% charge would equal 232 miles, or slightly more than an 11% degradation from the rated 265 mile range when new. I went ahead and bought the car as I need a usable 180 mile range for a two-way commute several times a week, and I think this will do it. I may find an option to charge during the work day, so then I should be able to do the return 90 mile leg without any worries whatsoever. Thanks for your input!

Congratulations & welcome to the family!

From your initial post, it looks like you've been doing your due diligence, so you should know that the rated range is achieveable but only under specific conditions (speed, wheather,...).
So either check the option to charge at your workplace or indeed, use a SuC on your way back. I guess your car comes with free unlimited supercharging?

Just finished charging to 100% ahead of a long day of driving. I have a 2012 Signature P85 Model S. My 100% charge is 406 km or 253 miles. I have an original "A" battery pack with 98,855 km or 61,427 miles. To date I have lost 4.7% of my total range from when the vehicle was new.

I personally think these numbers are really good considering that I drive with a heavy foot and I live in Toronto where the weather goes from one extreme to the next.

What do your numbers look like? Feel free to chime in regardless of Model or year, just provide as much detail as possible.

Thanks!

Just purchased P85+ right at 16,700 miles charged at home on Gen 3 wall charger 48amps 36Mph....full.charge 261 Miles ......Battery is D 85Kw 400V
Thanks for all the good info....going to Charlotte tomorrow for steering rack bolt recall...drive motor assembly replacement recall and upgrade MCU to new version and TPMS sensors.....AC fan motor squeek....battery test while im.at it......

Reactions: rafacq
BA67786B-EE13-49BC-9FB9-19F7B8D6430D.jpeg
Model S 85 2015

Nominal Full Pack 72.7kWh
Usable Full 68.7kWh

Full Range 453Km
Full Typical Range 363Km

total odo 170K km

BA67786B-EE13-49BC-9FB9-19F7B8D6430D.jpeg

Charged to 95% and discharged to 5%

Those are good numbers showing low degradation for a 5 year old car.
Your full typical range is 363 km. What was your full typical range when brand new, and also the spec full typical range?
I am guessing about 390 km when new?

I’m the second owner and I bought it with 167k km’s on the odometer. I used the km range prediction only the first week, but because I got nervous I switched to the percentage prediction.

this “record” was made with 100 km/h speed and charged to 94/96%. I was forgotten too noted it. Today I will do a new range test with the battery charged at 97% because I won’t charge at 100%. Anyway normally I drive not that much on one day. This is only
a test before I push a service at Tesla about the slow charging speed.

Must not have been clear. My 90% charge on my 7.5 year old original battery was 219; it was 245 when new. 90% on the new battery is 249.

Still interested as to why they replaced your battery under warranty since that amount of degradation isn’t out of the ordinary. I’m assuming they actually found something wrong with the battery pack.

I bought my 85D two years ago with around 44k miles and the 100% charge was 262 miles. Today it’s estimating 235 miles at 100% with about 57k miles, and 212 miles at 90%. The majority of that loss was from the updates that resulted in a cap/range loss, but it still seems to continue degrading faster than I expected, especially considering I only charge to 70%, usually maintain a very shallow depth of charge (around 55-70%), and I’ve only supercharged once.

Reactions: Mucall and ran349
IMG_0263.jpg IMG_0262.png
85D from March, 2016. 80,000 miles. 260 max charge (without range mode on). Supercharge 4 or 5 times a year. Only ranged charged about 7 times in car's life. Rarely charge above 70%. Supercharging will hit 115kw when SOC is very low, but quickly falls to about 80kw.

I don't believe that I am "capped", but I do believe Tesla is playing games with the numbers. I recently took a road trip and charged the car to 100%. Weather was perfect and I did not pre-condition. We left within minutes of the car topping off. After driving about 23 miles, and getting 266 Wh/mile (290 Wh/mile gives me rated range), I lost 30 miles and it says I burned through 6.1 kWh. Based on my math, I should have only lost 21 miles and had 239 miles left. The kWh seems correct and everything seems to level out after 100 miles or so, but I do believe that Tesla is inflating my top range a bit to make it look like I have not lost as many miles as I actually have.

• Informative
Reactions: Newscutter
Still interested as to why they replaced your battery under warranty since that amount of degradation isn’t out of the ordinary. I’m assuming they actually found something wrong with the battery pack.

I bought my 85D two years ago with around 44k miles and the 100% charge was 262 miles. Today it’s estimating 235 miles at 100% with about 57k miles, and 212 miles at 90%. The majority of that loss was from the updates that resulted in a cap/range loss, but it still seems to continue degrading faster than I expected, especially considering I only charge to 70%, usually maintain a very shallow depth of charge (around 55-70%), and I’ve only supercharged once.

I received "do not drive vehicle," "vehicle may not start" types of messages. Was traced back to an issue within the battery but I don't know the details, was simply happy to have it happen within the warranty period (barely) and receive a new battery. I did not find the range on the original battery to be abnormally low.

…was reading these 15 pages to feel better about my own beloved MS, but hallas; my story has the highest horror-level out here:

P85 Nov 2013 328k km; after some battery malfunction, received a replacement battery 2 years / 120k km ago. This was a DOWNGRADE from my otherwise perfect / non-degraded Spec B to a Spec A battery (yes, with a.o. the SC limitation from 120kW to 84kW). Tesla’s freaking lawyer would not even answer my inquiry for (payed) reinstatement of my old battery… Safe from this drama, Tesla has done a reasonable job in maintaining this intensively used car, with a fare balance between coulance and paying-through-the-nose..(and I'm still in love with this car like on day one..)

Back to today: “new” pack is well-treated; operating range 30%-90%, practically all AC charge and average consumption of 193wh/km (in miles: really low). Full (98%) charge this morning, battery-first-time ever I guess….down to…

198 miles or 318 km.

A 120km supercharge from near-empty takes half an hour; and if I need to run the battery down to <7% on dash I also need to call a tow truck, as the car shuts down. This degradation, (in kWh; range doesn’t count), is still within 30% warranty-limit, but way off compared to you concerned owners with 6% degradation…

This must be the current world record in untreated degradation…
Anyone had / knows of a similar case, where Tesla successfully helped out?
If nothing else, hope you feel better about your own MS's ;-)

IMG_3903.jpg

…was reading these 15 pages to feel better about my own beloved MS, but hallas; my story has the highest horror-level out here:

P85 Nov 2013 328k km; after some battery malfunction, received a replacement battery 2 years / 120k km ago. This was a DOWNGRADE from my otherwise perfect / non-degraded Spec B to a Spec A battery (yes, with a.o. the SC limitation from 120kW to 84kW). Tesla’s freaking lawyer would not even answer my inquiry for (payed) reinstatement of my old battery… Safe from this drama, Tesla has done a reasonable job in maintaining this intensively used car, with a fare balance between coulance and paying-through-the-nose..(and I'm still in love with this car like on day one..)

Back to today: “new” pack is well-treated; operating range 30%-90%, practically all AC charge and average consumption of 193wh/km (in miles: really low). Full (98%) charge this morning, battery-first-time ever I guess….down to…

198 miles or 318 km.

A 120km supercharge from near-empty takes half an hour; and if I need to run the battery down to <7% on dash I also need to call a tow truck, as the car shuts down. This degradation, (in kWh; range doesn’t count), is still within 30% warranty-limit, but way off compared to you concerned owners with 6% degradation…

This must be the current world record in untreated degradation…
Anyone had / knows of a similar case, where Tesla successfully helped out?
If nothing else, hope you feel better about your own MS's ;-)

View attachment 600794

Per what you are saying, you are on a replacement battery (I assume it's a remanufactured one) for about 120k km and your 100% charge is 198 miles, correct?

Going by range loss alone, your degradation seems to be about 25% (high). Your car might be capacity (voltage) capped by Tesla.

Do you know what your total kWh capacity is?

Do you know what your max. cell voltage is at 100% SoC?

Yes, recap correct, re-manufactured A-pack indeed...thx for benchmarking with a fresh battery; 25% is actually getting close to warranty level...

kWh approach yields same 25% degradation as range; (approx 58kWh left, derived from dash, on a usable design capacity of 77,5kWh)
Tesla can't retro-cap the voltage of the battery; it's voltage is by design; voltage output capping would not influence capacity or range, but would cap max power (V*I), which I still have (albeit a little short-and-tired).

There's no Tesla software conspiracy, just a gradually tired-out battery from 2012, when the MS was not even introduced yet here in the Netherlands...sounds like a conspiracy in itself ;-). So if your MS is out for service for more than a few days; take your Iphone, and do a blind picture underneath the car, behind your RF wheel. If it looks anything like pic below; consider yourself FUBAR...

Anyone near, or even close to this level of degradation, preferably with a solution as well?

IMG_0286.jpeg