Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

70 amp HPWC connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ViperDoc

Roadster 1305
Jun 24, 2011
Vermont
I am wondering if anyone has a kaput 70 amp HPWC for the Roadster or, more accurately, the cable or connector that attaches to the car that they are not using (eg, don't have Roadster any more). Tesla had a towing company pick up my Roadster for work on it. Besides towing the car BACKWARDS up the flatbed despite my talking to the driver and giving very explicit instructions (I was out of state but someone took a video and shared it with me), the flatbed driver pulled a Model X into my garage and RAN OVER the metal connector for the HPWC that he had removed from the Roadster and left on the floor. This broke the metal connector. Tesla can't seem to find parts. So I am looking for used parts!

Thanks for suggestions!

If you can find a replacement connector with cable rated for 70 amps so you can replace the whole cable, that would be straightforward. If you can only find a detached connector or one on a lower-rated cable, be aware that the procedure for attaching a new connector onto your cable is not simple. Let's hope that the power pins were not damaged, otherwise you would need to buy some new pins from Amphenol because they are crimped onto the wires. I can email to you Martin Eberhard's document showing how to disassemble and reassemble the connector if you PM me.

The heavy metal Roadster connector feels sturdy, but I have heard other stories about damage, too.

FWIW, a used UMC cable came up for auction on eBay recently and was discussed here. No idea how the auction ended up but, assuming you can procure the connector piece, @TonyWilliams w/QCP might be able to fashion one for you... though he mentioned he doesn't have the 70A cable in stock.

As a Hail Mary, you can try reaching out to Charlie Douglass at ClipperCreek ([email protected]) to see if they might happen to have one of the cables with connectors stored away from one of the few TS-70 J1772 conversions they may have performed back in the day.

If the Amphenol connector proves too hard to find, perhaps consider grafting a MS/X/3 connector end (much easier to find!) to your HPC cable and use a CAN-SR for your Roadster. Or... bite the bullet and just do the full upgrade to a new HPWC :cool:

That cable went for $121.95 with $40 delivery charges. Cheaper to buy a 1772 plug. If you already have a can Jr it would be a better way to go. I have yet to recieve my tesla model s plug so I’m not sure how easy that comes apart but I don’t think it will be easy. I would seriously consider moving away from the roadster plug or swap the cable for a 1772 until one becomes available, but that could be a long wait.

This guy is non-functional. Something died in the power-electronics/switch and I got a new one a few years ago. Held onto this one for spare parts. Any interest?

//dan.

IMG_20181001_170213.jpg IMG_20181001_170209.jpg