Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

70% degradation warranty or no warranty ?

70% warranty or no warranty?

• I would rather have warranty for 8-years or 160,000 km’s for 70% charging capacity

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • I would rather have no warranty for charging capacity

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Matias

Apr 2, 2014
Finland
Currently Tesla Motors offers no battery degradation warranty.

Several other EV manufacturers (e.g. Nissan, BMW, GM and KIA) offer some warranty (e.g. 8-year or 160,000 km’s for 70% charging capacity).

Those who are against such low value believe, that it is better for customers not to give such a low value guarantee and that Tesla will as a good will gesture replace battery with smaller degradation, even if there is no specific fault in battery (specific fault of course entitles battery replacement according to current Tesla warranty). They may also think that such a low value would be bad for sales and Tesla’s reputation.

Those who favor 70% degradation guarantee believe that it is better for customers to have some guarantee, than no guarantee. They may also think, that if it is not written, it does not exist.

Would you rather choose guarantee for 8-year or 160,000 km’s for 70% charging capacity or no warranty for charging capacity at all?

Last edited:
As a consumer, I would think having a warranty is better than none. Investors may disagree.

When I was going through the purchase decision making process, I asked Tesla for expected battery degredation over time since it was not warrantied and I was wondering how to differentiate between normal degredation and a defect. The response I recieved was that I should expect 10-15% reduction over 8yrs assuming 15k miles per year. Additionally, they indicated that the battery was expected to last at least another 8 years after that.

Knowing this, I decided to get the 85 over the 60 figuring after 8 years I would still be better off post degradation of an 85 than a new 60. With a cost of $8k more (would have paid the $2k for supercharger with a 60), it just seemed to make sense to me.

I also figured that 8 years from now the cost to replace the battery wouldn't be too bad (wild guess of $10-15k) so assuming Tesla's response remains accurate above I am not worried at all.