Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

70 or 70D - Is AWD Necessary In Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Beryl

Supporting Member
Feb 19, 2015
South of Houston
I'm looking to get the Model S instead of the X. Since I want to purchase a fully autonomous vehicle as soon as it is available, I decided to enjoy the base model 70 Tesla for a few years.

How important is AWD in Texas? I read comments about the AWD being a tad noisy as compared to RWD so if it is not necessary, I'd prefer an even quieter ride as well as saving $5K.

Pardon if this question is answered but I didn't see many comments from Texans in other threads.
70D or 85D, rear vs 4 wheel drive: owner experiences?
In Colorado, I prefer AWD with or without snow tires so it would be a no-brainer if I was still living there. Even when I do long-distance driving, I'll only do so during the summer months or where there is no snow.

Last edited:
I live in Dallas and have had my 85 for just over a year. I don't really see a need for AWD here except for the 2 or 3 ice storms that we tend to get every year. The Tesla is certainly much better on slick roads than my RWD Tacoma, but I don't drive the Tesla on ice days. There are way too many idiot drivers around here and I am not willing to risk one of them hitting my Tesla. On ice days we either stay home or drive our AWD Honda Pilot.

Personally, I don't think AWD is necessary here, but if I was doing it again, I would get a D. Not for icy road conditions, but for the higher acceleration, better handling, and slightly better range.

Either way, the Model S is a phenomenal car and you will love it either way.

I also live in Dallas, and range to me is King.
There is a bit more range with either a 70D or the corresponding 85D than the 70 or 85.
You would be giving up a slight bit of frunk space with the "D" models.
If you plan to only drive locally, then perhaps that extra amount of range is not a big thing for your daily and yearly needs.

I have had a chance to drive a couple of "Ds", and in my experience they track really well around corners.

I doubt Missouri City, TX gets more than a moment's notice (as opposed to days) of frozen precipitation a year, so a D gives you virtually no advantage there.

Thanks. After much thought and a lot of YouTube videos, I'm pretty sold on the 70D now. @Shortmanz - I remember those icy roads in Dallas!

This will be quite the savings over the 90D MX equivalent that I'd planned to get but I'll use some of that with an extended warranty and second charger. I can't wait to place my order and I can see doing it before my second test drive on Friday.

Then, I'll have even more questions about local electricians and such.

The main disadvantage of the D is that you lose so much storage space. If you use your car for trips, the extra space makes a big difference (You never have to have anything visible in the back seat.)

For what it's worth, I live I WI and opted to get a RWD car. For reasons exactly the same as ShortManz, when it is snowing here, I don't drive my super-nice car anyway. And not because I don't trust me...but rather because I don't trust everyone else.

Whether you can 'go' in slick conditions is way less an issue in RWD car than whether or not you can stop. And AWD is no better or worse at stoppi g than RWD.

I too have a snowstorm 4wd truck. The perfect combination of vehicles in the stable.

I'm looking to get the Model S instead of the X. Since I want to purchase a fully autonomous vehicle as soon as it is available, I decided to enjoy the base model 70 Tesla for a few years.

How important is AWD in Texas? I read comments about the AWD being a tad noisy as compared to RWD so if it is not necessary, I'd prefer an even quieter ride as well as saving $5K.

Pardon if this question is answered but I didn't see many comments from Texans in other threads.
70D or 85D, rear vs 4 wheel drive: owner experiences?
In Colorado, I prefer AWD with or without snow tires so it would be a no-brainer if I was still living there. Even when I do long-distance driving, I'll only do so during the summer months or where there is no snow.

Sent you a PM! Good luck with your decision! I went with the 85D myself. I tested out a 90 RWD and just wasn't satisfied with the lack of power. I will say that the RWD is noticably silent compared to the AWD, which has a high pitched noise from the front motor during hard acceleration. When you go for your test drive, turn down the music so you can listen. The RWD also has a much bigger frunk, if that makes a difference to you.

I've said it a million times, but I think the 85D (or 90D) is the sweet spot. Plenty of acceleration/power, unreal handling, and greatest range. Once you start losing your range due to degradation in the first year, you'll be glad you got as much range from the outset as possible.

I've said it a million times, but I think the 85D (or 90D) is the sweet spot. Plenty of acceleration/power, unreal handling, and greatest range. Once you start losing your range due to degradation in the first year, you'll be glad you got as much range from the outset as possible.

Great minds think alike :) I totally agree with the 85D/90D as the sweet spot for power, handling, range, and overall value (relatively speaking of course in a 100K car). I was apprehensive to go with the 90D upgrade due to the new silicon chemistry and reported crazy degradation early on.