Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

70 Point Inspection to Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems my delivery date is getting close and the closer it gets, the more EXCITED I am. I am a new user and this subject may have already been discussed, my apologies if it has. There are so many threads, it would take weeks to go through years of posts!

Here are some questions regarding the 70 point inspection:

1) Does anyone have an understanding of when the inspection and repairs are done?

2) What is the role of the delivery center? Do they just deliver cars? Or do they do the inspection and repairs there?

3) My CPO seems to be at an off-site facility near the delivery center. Are these off-site locations where they inspect and repair the cars when someone puts a deposit on them? In addition to store them until they are bought? Do they simply transfer the car from the off-site/repair center to the delivery center the day of delivery?

Can anyone provide an insight on the CPO 70 point inspection to delivery process?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Ralph

...1) Does anyone have an understanding of when the inspection and repairs are done?...

Tesla used to repair and clean cars before showing them to customers but lately, customers discovered faults and uncleaned cars as if there was absolutely no inspection.

...2) What is the role of the delivery center? Do they just deliver cars? Or do they do the inspection and repairs there?...

If you are good at Quality Controls and point out to Tesla what they missed, they used to be willing to repair them but I am not sure about lately.

...3) My CPO seems to be at an off-site facility near the delivery center. Are these off-site locations where they inspect and repair the cars when someone puts a deposit on them? In addition to store them until they are bought? Do they simply transfer the car from the off-site/repair center to the delivery center the day of delivery?

See above 2 answers. I don't know which ones did the inspections and repairs.

Reactions: rafacq
Tesla used to repair and clean cars before showing them to customers but lately, customers discovered faults and uncleaned cars as if there was absolutely no inspection.

If you are good at Quality Controls and point out to Tesla what they missed, they used to be willing to repair them but I am not sure about lately.

See above 2 answers. I don't know which ones did the inspections and repairs.

Big thanks for your response!

Tesla let Manheim Aution house take care of it, including the photos (which Tesla pays Manheim for them).

If you have about 15 minutes to learn how Tesla Used car system work:

I will lay down in bed and watch it right now! I got to see several round of photos of different cars I was interested in. Have to say I was not impressed at all! The quality of the photos are just UNREAL! They are so bad, colors are off, Titanium cars look like pink or orange, Blue cars look black, they are fuzzy and even those who had better definition and color quality (mine was one of the few) the amount of ceiling lamp reflections are horrible. I keep moving from one photo to the next, as what looks like a nasty scratch on a fender turns out to be a reflection when you look at another angle and it looks great.

I am surprised Tesla is allowing such poor quality when I normally think of Tesla with companies like Mercedes, BMW, Audi and Jaguar. Sad, very sad.I wonder if Elon has seen how these photos look like and how badly they are damaging his reputation!

• Love
Reactions: rjscoder

My car had a 2" dent on the hood. The San Diego delivery associate told me it could be seen in one of the photos I was sent. NO WAY it could be seen in my opinion. I could have fought it, but the car was only 12,004 miles and aside from the dent, in MINT condition. Sand Diego did a really good job detailing the car. Not perfect but it did look amazing! So I chose not to argue and took delivery. A local Tesla Service center in my area recommended a pointless dent repair person who did an incredible job. I did paint correction on the hood and it looks amazing.

IMG_1369.JPG
IMG_1371.JPG

IMG_1372.JPG

If Tesla would have wanted to make sure the buyer saw the paint defect, they should have posted this photo, taken with my phone! Can you see the defect on the previous photo of the hood?
IMG_1373.JPG

The photo shows lots of clear coat scratches, that I took care of with my TORQ DA polisher and some Clay, Chemical Guys 34 compound, followed by some 36 then 38 polish, and finished with Black Light. Now it looks really nice! It has been raining, so I have not taken any photos of the finished job! Stay tuned.

[QUOTE="Tam, post: 3529820, member: 11118"
If you have about 15 minutes to learn how Tesla Used car system work:

[/QUOTE]

Tam, your video was most informative. In light of the CPO buying process is so bad after pressing the BUY button, do you feel buying from a private sale could be much better if there are numerous high quality photos? In about 15 months, my pristine, low mileage ms comes off lease and wonder if I could make some $ by purchasing it, then selling. What are your thoughts?

The video was made by Rich Benoit (RichRebuilds) and is a great look at what can go wrong. The short answer to your question is "it depends". When I was looking for my Model S, I considered private sale/third-party dealer but ultimately went with Tesla because of the warranty offered on the car. These are complex cars with a lot of costly repairs if something goes wrong. If you buy private (especially from a third-party dealer), you would not get any warranty except for whatever is left on the factory warranty (if any).

Also in terms of condition, YMMV. My car was detailed, cleaned, and looked like it just came off the showroom floor brand new. Others have not had such good experiences. You have to use your head a little as well. For example, my 2015 had under 17,000 miles on it so I figured there couldn't be that much wear because it clearly wasn't driven much. Study the pictures carefully. Usually if you don't see any flaws highlighted it's a good sign.

Given that you are not allowed to see the car prior to delivery, there is always risk involved and their communication sucks but I would buy a used car from Tesla directly again.

Reactions: Hwood