Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"70" reg crew

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm wondering if I should postpone it until after Battery day... but, at the same time, anything they announce likely won't affect vehicles until well into next year at the earliest?

Its not unheard of for something new to be announced and then a comment made that 'all vehicles built since xx/xx already have this feature' and then it to be enabled in a software release.

It’s like everything these days. The new TV we bought 3 years ago is now out of date and it’s app no longer supported. The TV we bought a fortnight ago is probably No longer made and our 3 year old Outlander, well that’s archaic!
There will always be something better around the corner.
Buy now or miss out

Just out of curiosity... if something is announced on Battery Day that means future Model X's come with a better battery and/or other updates, are you still going to collect your car or cancel your order?

I'm also collecting my M3 on Monday 21st and now I'm wondering if I should postpone it until after Battery day... but, at the same time, anything they announce likely won't affect vehicles until well into next year at the earliest?

Gah! I thought after I finally made the decision to place an order, my fretting would be over but it's gotten worse!

I think I posted this elsewhere. My plan is as follows.

I am due for collection the day after battery day.
I had insisted with Tesla that I would not take delivery until after after the announcement.
They said “we will see what we can arrange”
It’s turned out well as the next day is perfect.
“Thanks Tesla”!

Onto my plan.

Battery day news;

1:New changes battery, range etc and all cars delivered post battery day including mine have it already installed or unlocked over the air = I will collect!

2: New changes battery, range etc but for all new cars within 6 months from now (Not mine) Ill cancel and re order a slightly different spec (You have too)

3: New changes battery, range etc but not for 12 months plus = I'll keep the order and take delivery. See where Tesla and the competition are in 12 - 18 months and make a decision based on that.

4: No changes battery, range etc and its all hot air (again) I'll keep the order and take delivery and accept that they are starting to take the Pi%%. They have to do something with the Model X and S - Its old and dated and IMHO it looks.. Well..... Old and dated. I am frustrated as again I have said this, currently Tesla has only range and super chargers going for them and I am not bothered about super chargers. Probably will never use them. There are a lot of great cars already out there (We know who they are) but the range is not 300+ at least not on the brands I like.

@ukevowner I like a plan! What I’m slightly confused about is your decision seems to hinge on whether your car will have updated/improved battery/range. Yet you don’t think you’ll ever use Superchargers, suggesting long distance travel isn’t a thing for you, so why worry about the battery/range?

Just to add some excitement, a Model S battery pack in a car built in Jan is revision F. Mine, built at the beginning of July is revision G. I wonder what difference that makes? :cool: Could be your first bullet point!

@ukevowner I like a plan! What I’m slightly confused about is your decision seems to hinge on whether your car will have updated/improved battery/range. Yet you don’t think you’ll ever use Superchargers, suggesting long distance travel isn’t a thing for you, so why worry about the battery/range?

Just to add some excitement, a Model S battery pack in a car built in Jan is revision F. Mine, built at the beginning of July is revision G. I wonder what difference that makes? :cool: Could be your first bullet point!

Range is important to me in fact its very very important to me, but the thing is my long drives that I'll be doing are regular family trips to see family and the drive is 290 miles we get a driving brake but its on a car ferry and as stupid as it is the Ferries do not have charge points! Which is so dumb. Anyway based on the current UK range of the Model X LR being 314 I would really like a range of say 400+ to do it without a worry or need to charge until arrival at destination. The same on the return leg. I know I could probably get the 290 I need and will have to if there is no changes announced, but if there was a longer range option I would go for it even if it was a paid upgrade.

This sound interesting, but I am not that educated on the impact of battery revisions, please feel free to educate me! In fact I beg you!!

This sound interesting, but I am not that educated on the impact of battery revisions, please feel free to educate me! In fact I beg you!!

I wish I knew! I tried googling it and dint get far. It cropped up on the FB Group after a new owner posted a pic of his battery sticker, which had F at the end. Mine is G so something has changed between Jan and now.

I have no idea why the pic is rotated in this way either!
E4751934-CF8F-4409-91CA-28F6A87D727C.jpeg

@ukevowner Based on your posts you need to research EV's and charging some more.

You wouldn't need to charge at destination if you plan sensible stops (unless there are literally zero 50kw+ options on your route).

Which ferry port and assume travelling from manchester ?

Even if you see news saying Range is xyz from any announcements - take 20% off that figure for real world and other factors for safe range.

Hence you still need to think about charging en route, recommend you adjust the thinking ! Learn to appreciate the calmness of a planned route stop, charging, having a coffee, pondering life and avoiding dog poo on the verges of our delightful service network.

I agree with the above re: range. The theoretical range of my Model 3 is over 300 miles. I would never, ever, think of doing more than 250 miles without a planned stop, and only then in good weather and if I knew the route. Most of the time I'd work on somewhere between 200 and 250 miles being a reasonable range, depending on route and conditions.

4: No changes battery, range etc and its all hot air (again) I'll keep the order and take delivery and accept that they are starting to take the Pi%%. They have to do something with the Model X and S - Its old and dated and IMHO it looks.. Well..... Old and dated. I am frustrated as again I have said this, currently Tesla has only range and super chargers going for them and I am not bothered about super chargers. Probably will never use them. There are a lot of great cars already out there (We know who they are) but the range is not 300+ at least not on the brands I like.

Maybe a controversial question to ask, but why are you buying an X if you think it's old and dated and there are other great cars out there? If you're making a compromise to buy an X just because of stated range then could you find yourself pretty dissappointed when you don't get that range because of your particular circumstances (location, hills, route, driving style, temperature etc). Whilst Tesla currently hold the top 3 maximum range slots, the Jaguar i-Pace is a close 4th with only 20 miles range less than the Model X.

Range is important to me in fact its very very important to me, but the thing is my long drives that I'll be doing are regular family trips to see family and the drive is 290 miles we get a driving brake but its on a car ferry and as stupid as it is the Ferries do not have charge points! Which is so dumb. Anyway based on the current UK range of the Model X LR being 314 I would really like a range of say 400+ to do it without a worry or need to charge until arrival at destination. The same on the return leg. I know I could probably get the 290 I need and will have to if there is no changes announced, but if there was a longer range option I would go for it even if it was a paid upgrade.

Personally speaking, what I thought my experience would be pre-EV is different from my actual experience now I've got one. Charging for me has been a welcome break (if only from life!), chuck on some Netflix, have half an hour peace and quiet. Pre-EV I feared that this would just be wasted time, a burden, and constant anxiety about range and broken chargers. Obviously YMMV (in every sense :D), but if it was me I'd not be expecting to do that 290 mile trip in a car rated for 314 miles without a charge.

Erm. Have you checked your trip in ABRP A Better Routeplanner ?

Suggest that you change the settings to add some battery degradation but more importantly, driving conditions such as temp, rain, headwind - be pessimistic with these, those conditions do exist in real world trips. Also, you need to consider arrival charge and/or turnaround time.

If you car has a range of 314 miles, based upon our Model 3 LR experiences (slow final charge speed), then 240-250 miles between charges may be a more comfortable estimate.

Reactions: Lucanesque
How accurate have you found ABRP? I'm planning a trip up to Scotland and the Tesla navigation is suggesting 13 hours with ABRP suggesting just 10 and a bit. I'm wondering if the lack of real time traffic in the free version accounts for the difference?

Its excellent at route planning for battery use and charging but I don't read too much into the timings. On a decent run though, the timings are not too bad - they are probably just best guess timings - lots of variations it cannot predict.

I take the attitude that if ABRP says I can do it (I always put worse case scenario in, ie heavy rain and head wind plus a representative temperature) the car will do it but its timings won't be 100%. Charge times are normally pretty representative though which is useful to know if its a pee or snack stop.

I wish I knew! I tried googling it and dint get far. It cropped up on the FB Group after a new owner posted a pic of his battery sticker, which had F at the end. Mine is G so something has changed between Jan and now.

I have no idea why the pic is rotated in this way either!
View attachment 588641
Revision G gets you faster charge rates at supercharger - according to Bjorn anyway

Reactions: DJP31
I think I posted this elsewhere. My plan is as follows.

I am due for collection the day after battery day.
I had insisted with Tesla that I would not take delivery until after after the announcement.
They said “we will see what we can arrange”
It’s turned out well as the next day is perfect.
“Thanks Tesla”!

Onto my plan.

Battery day news;

1:New changes battery, range etc and all cars delivered post battery day including mine have it already installed or unlocked over the air = I will collect!

2: New changes battery, range etc but for all new cars within 6 months from now (Not mine) Ill cancel and re order a slightly different spec (You have too)

3: New changes battery, range etc but not for 12 months plus = I'll keep the order and take delivery. See where Tesla and the competition are in 12 - 18 months and make a decision based on that.

My plan is exactly the same, except that I am hedging on the 7 day return policy. So I delayed my MS p pickup to tomorrow. And will see what happens on Monday. If its game, keep it. If not, return it or call them and negotiate a plan!

The delivery agent I spoke to at tesla said confidently that there will be no new model S for the UK at all this year. Mine was apparently destined to be a demo car for their showrooms, but I snatched it before it arrived the UK.. Will see if he is legit!

Can't wait till tomorrow!

Reactions: JS77
Revision G gets you faster charge rates at supercharger - according to Bjorn anyway

Many thanks for that, really interesting. I stopped at a V3 today having driven at motorway speeds for 2 hours, arriving at the SuC on 21%. It went up to 135kW at 33% and then I was distracted by someone who came over for a chat - he now has a referral code! I didn't watch how the charge rate tapered down, but I was at 70% in the relative blink of an eye.

I'm also amazed at the efficiency of the Raven compared to my old S75D, the Wh/m is markedly lower.

Is there a way of telling which chargers are v3?

Physically they only have the one cable/charge head, whereas V2 have two - the Type 2 and the CCS. Any sites that are only V3, e.g. Wyboston (and probably all future new ones) will only show up in your car if you can use them i.e. older S/X without the conversion won't see them.

The max charge rate will also show as up to 250kW in the nav.

• Informative
Reactions: Lucanesque