Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"70" reg crew

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Collected from Manchester South on 1/9. Bit of a wait as everyone seemed to have the same collection time. Was expecting the worst having read all about the panel gaps etc (that'll teach me to read internet posts). Found 6 cosmetic issues with the car, 2 I'd probably have lived with if it wasn't having to go in for the other 4. Damage to chrome on driver's side (not adhesive), paint chips (which look like they've been very badly touched up) on right front corner, scratches on glass on lower lights both sides, bubbling of paint inside driver's side rear door, pain looks a bit thin on other front corner where bumper meets the car and tiny blemish on paint on rear bumper. Booked in on 30th for service repair so hopefully will all be sorted without issue (although the 40mile journey and day without car is a bit of a PITA). Other than that, delighted with it

Which Model Tesla did you pick up? I am due for my Model X LR from Manchester this month.. Just seeing if they have started the Model X deliveries / collections..

Picked up my M3 LR today from Southampton. Arrived 10 minutes before my allotted time and I was the only customer there to my surprise. Car looked almost perfect other than a couple of places with glue residue. There is a slight misalignment of one of the rear doors but wondered if I need to get this sorted or would it be within tolerance?

View attachment 585887

I often get confused when I see people post their brand new cars on here, literally brand new very expensive cars with panel gaps like that and ask "Is this within tolerance" ?

The simply answer is NO it is not within tolerance, it is far from within tolerance it is miles away from within tolerance.

They move the "within tolerance" further and further away because people do not stand ups and say "I am not happy with that"

Yes there is definitely "within tolerance" with most car manufacturers, but come on guys Tesla's bloody "within tolerance" is starting to take the Pi55.. If my Model XLR comes with a gap like that then ill be saying "Thanks ill come back when thats sorted" and leave the car there.
I am not spending £97,000 to have them pass of a car with that, its not just a slight misalignment its unacceptable for them to hand the car over like that. I understand Tesla is not Audi and they have there points in other areas, well in fact only Two main areas.

1: Range
2: Charge Infrastructure.

Over the air updates is soon to be the norm across all companies, in fact even range is up for discussion. Unless Battery day lives up to the rumours.

I just don't think given the competition that Tesla can keep using this "within tolerance" angle we all accept. It would be really cool if for once at the end of a quarter sales delivery, Right in the last few days we all just said nope thats no good thanks and where a little bit more honest with Tesla on pick up and declined cars in masses.

I'll tell you this if in one delivery quarter 50% of pick ups was refused based on "within tolerance" they would certainly pay attention to their customers and maybe just maybe they would address the issue and stop pushing out sub par built cars.

Don't get me wrong I am a Tesla Fan boy, I know it may not look that way! I truly am though, I keep seeing this kind of work being pushed out by them and just wish people would make more of a point that it's not "within tolerance"!!!!

Few Rant over!

@ukevowner I agree completely and there is definitely a bigger tolerance with folks collecting their cars on what they may have previously rejected when buying other cars, I think Tesla get away with far too much because they have this pretend threat of "off to the back of the queue you go then".

Unless folks stand up for product quality at point of collection, what incentive do they have to unlearn this newfangled behaviour ? None.

If I had encountered anything significant during collection that they refused to sort on the day, I would have phoned our fleet leasing setup and told them they needed to sort it out, if that had failed I wouldn't have taken the car - but that is an empty point as the car was 99+%, really nothing to complain about. In fact my only complaint is 2 rattles, one of which I have sorted out myself and the other I can do with some faffing about - exactly the same as any other new car/dealer situation.

Thought it allowed you to select a home visit or SC visit when selecting a date for the appointment?

When I entered my home address in Poole, Dorset it didn’t offer the mobile service but suggested the nearest SC as Bristol or Heathrow. I contacted Tesla and they asked me to enter the request in the description of the issue and they will then schedule a mobile service visit. Expecting a call tomorrow to arrange.

Reactions: Cyclone1
check for a rattle in the rear door card where the outer edge of the door card touches the metal door panel. apply firm force to several (non-bending) areas around the edge of the door card to ensure clips are fully in - same with C pillar trim and seat trims. I've found 8 or 9 areas in the car so far where stuff wasn't really tight in from factory. centre console edge trims, door cards, frunk light area, seat lower surrounds etc
Got to ask did you notice the pocket lights present when you opened the door cards? Also, did you follow any specific guide to opening them?

have only done rear so far, I think I just searched door card removal model 3 on YouTube. will try and find the video and will video removing the front card when I get round to it to show the full process. All 4 will be done by me over a period of time as they will all develop rattling plastic-plastic noises based on the design I've seen and the lack of soft coverings for all the internal had plastics for connectors, housings etc.

... ok so have now covered 602 miles since collection. A few more random thoughts :

Starting to get used to the feel of the car now, it takes some time especially with regen braking being a new thing to me. I prefer using the brakes some of the time and have felt more comfortable learning regen in the lower setting. Even in this setting the behaviour can be very subtly modified depending on how sharply or softly you lift off and it’s possible to be pretty accurate with judging lift-off slowdown. Am sure loads of folks will want to tell me to use full regen, but I just don’t like the full setting. Have had several occasions now where I’m judging things well enough to see the %remaining increase after being able to balance between flat and downhill sections, in fact in the first 6 miles from leaving home today I saw 89wh/m on the energy chart including a bit of uphill.

Charging - has proved to be zero hassle so far. I'm mixing it up between 16A and 32A home charging locations to give the car some variety and keeping it topped it to 90% every couple of days. Once you have switched to a new regime it really is minimal effort for daily local use, and for longer stuff I'm lucky to have options where I need them - range anxiety not an issue.

Steering - set to comfort most of the time. Standard 'feels best' to me in terms of weight of the wheel but then less relaxed for longer cruises. Comfort is the most relaxed, least effort - so there it stays.

Brakes - pedal feel has improved hugely over mileage done so far. They are never going to feel like competition brakes but they are progressive enough, I reckon I’m using them about 30% of the time that I would have used brake effect in previous cars. Maybe not the EV-perfectionist approach but that's my current comfort level. PS4 tyres are superb.

Ride comfort - this is the bit that has surprised me the most. It’s actually very competent and irons out a lot of shabbier, undulating roads. However I have noticed it doesn’t have the compliance of other car’s I’ve owned when it reaches limits of travel - so you get the odd ‘clonk’ when worst rutted sections appear. Not a problem as such, just an indication that improvements could be made - but it’s very infrequent. Overall the suspension has beaten my expectations. Tip - have a small amount of weight stored in the frunk - I have about 5-10kg. You can feel the difference compared to an empty Frunk, a bit of weight helps calm the front end down.

Performance - you can feel the savagery of the shove from both motors drop off a bit as charge reduces - but this is a rapid car, it’s ability to surprise is very impressive. What is lovely is it’s a really linear delivery with right foot angle, so you get rewarded for 30,60,90% throttle and anywhere in between - it has enough torque to propel you rapidly even without full beans. Does use the juice though if you get a bit keen with the (quiet) loud pedal.
Chill mode is actually very useful, not a gimmick at all and has its place in the armoury for getting the best out of the car in different situations.

Road/Wind noise - you do get some flutter-noise from the tops of the front windows but mostly around 50-70mph in mine. Disappears between 70 and 80 for motorway cruising. Silicon spray on order for the door/window rubbers.

Controls/Operating - All the tech is pretty intuitive - navigation excellent, radio also good, audio system very high quality for OEM, driver displays and controls need very little adjustment time to get comfortable. Have not used voice control yet and probably won't bother / need to. I have found the key fob invaluable alongside the phone app.
Wipers are slightly too sensitive, I would prefer Auto to wait just a little longer before the first and subsequent wipes in light/medium rain.
Headlights - not had chance to fully test, I did the adjustment/calibration to check levels so will see how they go.

Overall build quality - I would like the frunk to have more solidity for the press-close action as described in the manual. It's a bit flimsy. Other exterior - most things are aligned correctly and nothing falling off. One rear light and one headlight are a few mm off for bodywork alignment but you have to look closely. Glass all aligned perfectly.
Interior - I have a couple of rattles but plan in place to address involving me taking it apart rather than running the service centre gauntlet.
Paint - seems fine to me. Ceramic coating going on in a few weeks so choosing not to wash it for time being, just hosing off Welsh roads dirt every few days.
Seats excellent, carpets less so but all-weather mats all-round removes the issue. Overall I'd say 7.5-8/10 for feeling of quality. My previous BMW 6 GT was beautifully put together and would have scored 9 or 9.5 as a reference. But that also rattled from the boot area and never got solved. For a company car the model 3 is easily good enough to make you feel like you are getting something of quality for your benefits package. In fact several steps beyond just "good enough".

I'm intrigued to see whether the above still holds true at 6k miles and then beyond. So far - so good, it's a car that works as it should and makes you smile walking up to it, getting in it, driving it and looking back at it once you have got out.

Almost everyone that has seen the car just can't process the whole interior layout and a lot of them think it must be some sort of hybrid.

Reactions: Lucanesque
Just had the text and email. Picking up Model X LR from Manchester SC day after battery day.
23rd September. Uber excited now!

Just out of curiosity... if something is announced on Battery Day that means future Model X's come with a better battery and/or other updates, are you still going to collect your car or cancel your order?

I'm also collecting my M3 on Monday 21st and now I'm wondering if I should postpone it until after Battery day... but, at the same time, anything they announce likely won't affect vehicles until well into next year at the earliest?

Gah! I thought after I finally made the decision to place an order, my fretting would be over but it's gotten worse!

Just out of curiosity... if something is announced on Battery Day that means future Model X's come with a better battery and/or other updates, are you still going to collect your car or cancel your order?

I'm also collecting my M3 on Monday 21st and now I'm wondering if I should postpone it until after Battery day... but, at the same time, anything they announce likely won't affect vehicles until well into next year at the earliest?

Gah! I thought after I finally made the decision to place an order, my fretting would be over but it's gotten worse!
There will *always* be something better just around the corner. I deferred my delivery until after lockdown, got QI charging as a bonus. What I'd be thinking about is how long it will take announcements from battery day to make it in to models that you can take delivery of here in the UK?

2 years+

It's almost ideal to be leasing current build spec now - as in 3 years there could be more improvements available and will have had time potentially to bed in.
That's my supposition also, if anything NEW is announced we won't see it for several years in Europe, so i'll be happy with my M3 LR until my lease comes to an end in 3 years, then i'll see what's around at that point (Possibly a Y LR)