TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

70 to 75 Who upgraded?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ZoomFPV, Apr 19, 2017.

1. ZoomFPV

ZoomFPV Member

Now that its $500, is it worth it? My 70 (non D) currently charges to 227 with 11K miles on it. How many miles should I expect if I upgrade to 75?

2. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

Well, if you hypothetically were able to charge another 20 miles (so your current 100% is now 93%), what ways would that benefit you?

I think that's the $500 question to answer. I feel like for most people, the answer is "it wouldn't".

3. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

I'm strongly considering it for my 70D.

4. ZoomFPV

ZoomFPV Member

mostly just for the higher number written on the dash and possible better resale? :)

5. Mattzilla

Mattzilla Member

I upgraded my 70D to 75D at the end of October 2016 for $3,250 (ouch). But I live in rural Washington and those extra 19 miles have actually saved my ass a few times on long trips through the mountains on cold days.

Just depends on your situation. For me, if I were still driving a 70D there are a few (very few) scenarios where I wouldn't have felt comfortable. Those few times where I rolled into a Supercharger with 4 rated miles left probably wouldn't have worked out.

• Like x 1
  6. NYEVDriver

NYEVDriver Member

I performed the upgrade yesterday and have no regrets. I drive @ 600 miles per week and can use the extra 19 miles (almost an extra 100 miles of capacity per work week). If I didn't drive as much I may not have performed the upgrade.

• Like x 1
  7. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

I frequently have to charge off a 120V outlet when traveling — being able to charge up an extra 19 miles before I leave home or at a Supercharger could be a big time saver on the return trip.

8. Lee_B

Lee_B Supporting Member

Upgraded as soon I found out. I still havent done a 100 percent charge but my 80 percent charge netted me 22 miles

9. jmanning

jmanning Member

I have followed Tesla for many years now....embarrassed to say this. I knew some of the batteries were software limited. My 70D I thought was it....is it really a 75? After reading the OP entry again, it sounds like they currently have a Model S 70 and can software unlock to a 75 by paying $500. Does this work for my 70D, can I software unlock it to a 75D, if so how much anybody know?? Very interesting.....

10. Mickie

Mickie Member

It will work sir, and it is $500 dollars, according to other 70 owners. You do have a 75 battery.

11. MIT_S60

MIT_S60 Member

If you have the updated front end from April 2016 onwards the you actually have a 75 battery software limited to 70 and can upgrade. If you have the older nose-cone you have a 70 battery.

12. jmanning

jmanning Member

Damn !!!!! Got an early 70D version !!!! Well guess this gives me ONE thing to bitch about the car...For those interested I looked on the Tesla website and if you have a newer 70D version w/new front end look at your my tesla account and there will be a section "available upgrades".
    I didn't see such an available upgrade section on my so assuming I can't do it. Thanks for the heads up MIT_S60.

13. EKnight47

EKnight47 Member

I should have just kept my 85.......

• Like x 1
  14. Smarty McFly

Smarty McFly Member

I upgraded as soon as I found out about the price drop. I had felt that the original price ($3000) was absolutely unreasonable, but $500 was a slam dunk. I have occasionally found myself in situations where the extra 20 or so miles would have made a difference relative to charging time or driving speed, or at least offered some peace of mind. Only you can decide if the same can be applied to your situation.

15. matrix4123

matrix4123 Member

I upgraded as soon as I saw the price drop. It comes in handy on longer trips when you might want to divert a bit from your path.

16. Middleseat

Middleseat Member

I upgraded a couple of months ago when it was $3k. (Boo!)

90% went from 205-207 to 218-222
    100% went from 223-227 to 242-248
    Currently at 16k miles, almost a year old (June 2016 delivery)

I needed it when taking a road trip where I had stretch of 215 miles (Jackson, MS to Memphis, TN).

I think it's TOTALLY worth it for $500. No brainer!!

• Like x 1
  17. MIT_S60

MIT_S60 Member

My S60 now S75 only charges to 217 at 90% with 3500 miles. Perhaps it's time for a few 100% cycles to balance out the cells.

18. Zeromus-X

Zeromus-X Member

I upgraded the night it became available. And I'm glad I did - I'm currently finishing up a cross country round trip and have 9 miles remaining until my next charger and a projected 11 miles of range to get there with. Hit some bad storms and worse headwinds. Without that extra bump I likely would need to stop at an RV park!

19. Bullet1

Bullet1 Electric - way of the future

I upgraded from 70D to 75D for better resale value only. The extra range makes little difference to me.
    In Australia the upgrade is $750 which is far less than the original price of $4500

20. ShockOnT

ShockOnT Quickish

I upgraded immediately.
    Car resale goes up and I do a lot of long trips.