TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

70D 0-60 in 5.2 sec

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by wndrful, Apr 9, 2015.

1. wndrful

wndrful Member

#1 wndrful, Apr 9, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
    Interesting to note that 70D does 0-60 in 5.2 but 60 took 5.9 secs to get to 60mph. Surprised that the difference is so large.

2. dpodoll

dpodoll Member

"D" explains that

3. wndrful

wndrful Member

We are just going in straight line. How should it help?!

4. gordo

gordo Member

second motor = more torque and HP.

5. vchadha

vchadha Member

70D is a 85D killer. 85D does not make sense i feel.

6. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

Not everyone is concerned all that much about price -- and history tells us that more people are willing to pay for extended range rather than pinch pennies. I guess only time will tell but I'd sure like to bet you that not only will the 85 not die (as you claim that it will be killed by the 70), but it will outsell the 70. Let's check back later to see who is right.

7. Rama

Rama Member

It's even more interesting when you consider that the 70D's two motors combined give up 51 hp to the 60. Not to mention the 70D must be a bit heaver.

8. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Active Member

Huh?

9. jandkw

jandkw Member

I predict the S85 or S85D will be replaced by 90KW or 100KW soon because it makes sense to differentiate the two models.
    Battery costs less each year so we can expect the improvement of range with minimal price increase. Hope this is Tesla's product strategy since they claim they are the technology company and happened to build cars. Technology advancement always favors consumers in price.

10. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

#10 gavine, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    The 60kWh does 0-60 in 5.1 seconds (real world) -->

11. Thud

Thud Member

85D fills the performance gap between the 70D and P85D. I still think 70D is now the sweet spot though. I'm sure the 5.2 is underrated, since every non-P Tesla model prior has been underrated (MS60 has proven to get 0-60 in 5.1 seconds, and 4.9 seconds for the MS85). So if they're advertising 4.4 on the 85D now, I would bet the real number is 4.2 or so.

There are some unscientific videos showing the early 85D's going 0-60mph in 4.4, but using a video of a speedometer is going to have a large margin of error. We need some VBox testing to see if the earlier 85D's match the 4.4 rating of the current ones on Tesla's site.

12. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Member

Also, there is always the possibility that people have timed a down hill, or tailwind run to obtain those quicker times.

13. Thud

Thud Member

I supposed you need to do 2 runs back to back in opposite directions and then average the result. Or go to a dragstrip which is confirmed to be flat. Even a slight incline/decline can make a difference, even if it's not perceptible from the driver's seat.

14. Stoneymonster

If this car isn't 4.4 or faster, I'll eat my hat. See my new power draw figures here: Upgraded 85D? - Page 6

15. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

I have believed for a long time that 100-110kw battery is inevitable. What I didn't stop to consider until recently was charging times. Tesla has to be reluctant any a larger battery since their SC network peaks at 120kw. If you had a larger battery of that size, you could be looking at 1.5hrs or more to charge to 100% and I think that goes against this idea that supercharging is fast and convenient. Ideally they may want you to skip every other charger though and that may force you to stay the full hour or more to get there. And I didn't even mention the times on a single home charger. 12hrs for a full charge is sure cutting it close.

16. Stoneymonster

But, a larger capacity battery can stay at the higher part of the charge curve for far longer. So you refill more miles per unit time than a lower capacity battery. For a road trip, you might only charge to 60% before leaving the supercharger.

17. chriSharek

chriSharek Member

Jandkw, do you want to put a date on your prediction? I'm with you - and in Florida, I don't want or need AWD. But, I will go ahead and get the larger battery.

I'm on the fence at the moment between the 70D and the 85, but leaning towards the 85 just because of the additional range.

18. GSP

GSP Member

A 70 kWh battery has 7/6 times as much power as a 60 kWh battery at the same C-rate.

GSP

19. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

Isn't the combined torque and hp of the two smaller motors of 70D the same or less than the 60's big motor? Still, delivering torque to the road via 4 tires instead of 2 should be more efficient.

20. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

Possibly, but the 60kWh battery and inverter can't feed enough electricity to the motor to take full advantage of the power of which the motor is capable. Case in point, the P85 has the same motor as the 60 but much more power. The S85 also has the same motor but more power. So the assumption is that the 70D has more power output from the battery than the 60.