Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

70D, 85, or 85D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't see any advantage in getting the 85D (270 rated miles) over the 70D (240 rated miles) because 90% of the time I drive locally, and when I do drive out of town it appears as though "every other" supercharger on my routes are approximately 250 rated miles apart according to evtripplanner.com. Less than 20 miles rated range left seems like I'd be cutting it too close in an 85D so I might as well just stick with the the 70D if I'm going to have to stop at nearly every supercharger anyway. What am I missing?

I don't see any advantage in getting the 85D (270 rated miles) over the 70D (240 rated miles) because 90% of the time I drive locally, and when I do drive out of town it appears as though "every other" supercharger on my routes are approximately 250 rated miles apart according to evtripplanner.com. Less than 20 miles rated range left seems like I'd be cutting it too close in an 85D so I might as well just stick with the the 70D if I'm going to have to stop at nearly every supercharger anyway. What am I missing?

Clearly given my signature...I am biased. But this above is my exact thought process. I wanted to keep it to under/around $100K and got all of the bells and whistles that I enjoy everyday and sacrificed the extra 30ish miles I never used in my 85. I really enjoy the handling of the AWD and by losing the third row seats this go 'round, I make up for some of the room I loose in the front with the D.

I was told at the Tesla store in Dedham MA that the 70D accounts for about 30%+ of their orders.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone in this thread, we're going to save $10K and are changing our order which is confirming on Thursday from a 85D to 70D! Like many others, our normal use is just driving around town, and most of our road trips are during the summer, with more than enough superchargers en route. And my wife, who will be the prime driver, prefers not to have the extra acceleration...

I went with a 70D, but I did one final side-by-side test drive of a 70D and 85D, and I can tell you that the standing and rolling launch power is noticeably better in the 85D than the 70D. I was hoping to not notice a difference, but unfortunately, I really did. And that ready power at low speeds is enough for me to lean towards an 85D or 90D if/when I get another. The range, for me, is inconsequential. The 70 is plenty range worthy so far.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks to everyone in this thread, we're going to save $10K and are changing our order which is confirming on Thursday from a 85D to 70D! Like many others, our normal use is just driving around town, and most of our road trips are during the summer, with more than enough superchargers en route. And my wife, who will be the prime driver, prefers not to have the extra acceleration...

Given all you just said, 70D is totally the right call. You will be thrilled!

I went with a 70D, but I did one final side-by-side test drive of a 70D and 85D, and I can tell you that the standing and rolling launch power is noticeably better in the 85D than the 70D. I was hoping to not notice a difference, but unfortunately, I really did. And that ready power at low speeds is enough for me to lean towards an 85D or 90D if/when I get another.
Agreed. IMO, the performance differences are more significant than the range and the latter was my primary reason for getting the 90D.

My initial plan was to get the 70D. I tested the 70D, 70, and p85+ (they didn't have a 85D or 90D for a full 24hr test). All are fine cars with sufficient power and range. I would have been happy with the 70D (or even the 70).

I tested the 70D, 70, and p85+ (they didn't have a 85D or 90D for a full 24hr test).

Did they let you test each of the three for 24 hours each??

We thought we could only test one and are getting an 85D to test even though we're now planning on ordering the 70D... (though the biggest question we have now is whether or not we need the air suspension for our driveway, and the 85D loaner has the air suspension and 70D doesn't)

Be patient and track down an INVENTORY 85D. I had a similar dilemma last year when I was comparing a Build-To-Order ("BTO") 90D... but I really wanted a P90D. Hunted for a year and finally found the PERFECT "fully loaded" inventory P85D which had every option I wanted... and a price similar to the 90D. WIN-WIN and SO glad I was patient now that I have the P85D.

Did they let you test each of the three for 24 hours each??

We thought we could only test one and are getting an 85D to test even though we're now planning on ordering the 70D... (though the biggest question we have now is whether or not we need the air suspension for our driveway, and the 85D loaner has the air suspension and 70D doesn't)

I tested the 70 RWD for 48 hours and the P85+ for 24 hours. The 70D was just the simple 40 minute test drive.

You definitely want to test Air Suspension to determine if it is worth it but I think you should also try to test coils at your home even if you don't get to keep it for more than a couple of hours.

I went with a 90D because I thought that maximum range would be a good thing when traveling in Canada where there are few Superchargers, at least to the east of where I live. I have had the car just 2 weeks and made one long trip, on a trip to the west coast (of Canada) with Superchargers. The first legs of the trip it was pretty cold and I had charged only up to 85% at the first Supercharger. Range dropped quickly and the trip meter said that I would not make it 250 km to the next SC. I had to stop at a conveniently located gas station where they had an 80 amp EVSE. Next time I will charge to 100% and take full advantage of my 90 kwh.

I went with a 90D because I thought that maximum range would be a good thing when traveling in Canada where there are few Superchargers, at least to the east of where I live. I have had the car just 2 weeks and made one long trip, on a trip to the west coast (of Canada) with Superchargers. The first legs of the trip it was pretty cold and I had charged only up to 85% at the first Supercharger. Range dropped quickly and the trip meter said that I would not make it 250 km to the next SC. I had to stop at a conveniently located gas station where they had an 80 amp EVSE. Next time I will charge to 100% and take full advantage of my 90 kwh.

Yikes!

250km = 155 miles. On an 85% charge I would have said that's a no brainer unless you were pulling >475 Wh/mile.

How cold was it? How fast were you driving? Wind? What was your Wh/mile (Wh/km)? Range mode on?