Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

70D and Winter Performance/Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, first congrats to you! I lose about 10% of my range using the AC in my Volt. I figured it would be about that or more with the MS. Again, in FL, using the heat is not as much of an issue - especially with the heated seats.

Thanks! It's pretty surreal to finally own an MS. We have a road trip planned already this winter within Minnesota and the MS will be "accessorized" with a cargo box for our outdoor gear (xc skiis, snow shoes, snowboards, etc). I will be detailing out the experience when it's done.

Of particular note from that thread is to try EV Trip Planner:
EV Trip Planner

It doesn't have a 70D yet though, but you can toggle between 60 and 85D to get an idea. It seems pretty reasonable if not conservative. [...]

FYI I just noticed today that evtripplanner.com now DOES have the 70 and 70D in the popup settings
They must have added it very recently, it wasn't there when I last used it a couple weeks ago

Thanks! It's pretty surreal to finally own an MS. We have a road trip planned already this winter within Minnesota and the MS will be "accessorized" with a cargo box for our outdoor gear (xc skiis, snow shoes, snowboards, etc). I will be detailing out the experience when it's done.
Congratulations. A word of warning: Accessories outside the car can create a huge wind resistance and really blow your range. We put a bike rack and two bicycles on the back and it probably reduces range by 30%. I don't really remember, but it was significant enough to cause us to reduce our driving speed.

Congratulations. A word of warning: Accessories outside the car can create a huge wind resistance and really blow your range. We put a bike rack and two bicycles on the back and it probably reduces range by 30%. I don't really remember, but it was significant enough to cause us to reduce our driving speed.

Thanks.... I plan on doing a 30 mile test at freeway speeds to get an idea of how wh/mile is impacted.

- - - Updated - - -

FYI I just noticed today that evtripplanner.com now DOES have the 70 and 70D in the popup settings
They must have added it very recently, it wasn't there when I last used it a couple weeks ago

Awesome.

Wish I had more to contribute to this thread but it's been crazy warm in Toronto this winter, I don't think I've even experienced one complete and total subzero cold soak yet...

I'm now in a P85+ loaner and ya, it's 1 sec. faster 0-60 (which is plenty faster) so I'm probably pushing it harder than my 70D but as a person who monitors % instead of rated range, I'm surprised to see that, at least for in and around the city use, it's been about the same % use as my 70D...

Nice !

It's shocking how much of a difference outside temperature makes. I picked my 70D in December and the Temps in Boston have been in the 15-35 degree range. I've been getting half the rated mileage with a full charge taking me roughly 120 or 130 miles.

The temperature this morning was 58 degrees when I left the house. For the first time my Wh/mi averaged just under 300 when it has always been over 460.

Can't wait to see what it's like in the summer. It will be good to get the full 240 miles of range.

Haven't taken a big trip yet. But.... this morning was stupid cold in Minnesota: -7F / -21.6C.

Here's my first (but not last) contribution to this thread that I started:

- Warmed up the car for 20 minutes in the garage.
- 30.8 miles of driving
- 41 minutes of driving
- For approx 80% of the miles speed was around 60-65MPH
- 432 Wh/mile

Haven't taken a big trip yet. But.... this morning was stupid cold in Minnesota: -7F / -21.6C.

Here's my first (but not last) contribution to this thread that I started:

- Warmed up the car for 20 minutes in the garage.
- 30.8 miles of driving
- 41 minutes of driving
- For approx 80% of the miles speed was around 60-65MPH
- 432 Wh/mile

Forgot... Range Mode = Off

You need range mode on..... Did 81 miles on Saturday at -2 to -5F, 65 mph, cabin set at 67 (felt a little cold), averaged 411 Wh/mi. We need a supercharger in Minneapolis...

Not having range mode on for the test was a rookie mistake. FWIW... On Saturday morning 67F was comfy in our 70D with the heated seats and steering wheel on. If needed, could have easily done 65F for cabin temp.

It will absolutely be nice having the one slated for the northern cities in place (snip is from 2016 Tesla SC Map). Making the jump from Eau Claire, WI to Hinckley, MN (~160 miles) or Albert Lea, MN to Hinckley, MN (~175 miles) when it is subzero would be really dodgy in a 70D. I calculate you'd need to average around 400 Wh/mi to make it in subzero temps.

snip_20160215083802.jpg

Wife took the 70D out today for a good long drive at freeway speeds.

- Range Mode On
- No pre-warming of cabin or battery
- Temp ~34F / 1C with minimal wind
- Elevation changes were minimal
- 120 miles round trip (80 miles was at 72 MPH) that followed the same route to and from the destination
- 337 Wh/mile and 40.8kWh consumed

There is a 70D owner in Michigan who has posted some very nice videos on YouTube about some winter driving. He posts as Tesla EVangelist. Here is a link to one of his videos about 70D's range, at 75 mph: tesla 70D energy use: Range mode at 75mph - YouTube

Follow that one and then find his other videos, including one for along trip across country, Michigan to California, and another one that tests energy consumption at freeway speeds with various heating conditions.

I also posted a report on my 70D's energy use in short, local trips which generated quite a lot of useful dialog (and some disagreements!), and some good data posted by others. That thread is here:
Some practical observations about the range of a 70D in winter

Last edited:
Drove from St Paul to Chicago in mid January. P85D w/ 19" wheels driving about 1.05% speed limit with an estimated 600 lbs of cargo (me, wife, suitcases, gobs of camera gear). I think wind was from SW so slight tail/side wind. Used AP (v7.0) a good portion of this drive.

St Paul > Eau Claire: 470 Wh/Mi, -9f,
EC > Mauston: 428 Wh/Mi, - 6f
Marston > Madison: 430 Wh/Mi, -5f

Overall amazingly close to EVTripPlanner predictions.