TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

70D confusion...

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Spit, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Spit

Spit Member

What extras come as standard? Keep reading places that it's the most featured Tesla that comes as standard. I want to get one with the HiFi pack and next gen seats. Would that make it a pretty full featured Tesla?

Range isnt a huge issue so I would rather have a more decked out 70D than a standard 85.

2. DougH

DougH Active Member

Next Gen seats and the upgraded sound is not going to be standard. Did you build one on the Tesla site?

3. davidc18

davidc18 Member

go to teslamotors.com and configure the car. pretty easy.

4. Spit

Spit Member

Sorry I meant the seats and HiFi I would select as extras on top. Are the next gen seats parts of the premium interior and lighting pack?

5. gizmoboy

gizmoboy Member

No, that is extra. Big deal in the premium interior package is powered rear lift gate.

6. gizmoboy

gizmoboy Member

As someone mentioned, look at the configuration on the tesla motors site. There are about 5 packages total, heated steering/subzero, premium interior, smart air suspension, autopilot, and third row seats, iirc.

Panoramic roof and next gen seats are options, not packages.

7. Spit

Spit Member

Ah right, sussed it now and they don't look that different. Think a standard 70D with sound upgrade will be good for me :)

8. tstafford

tstafford Member

If the range and acceleration don't matter much to you, then 70D is the call. They are the same car in all other ways.

9. Spit

Spit Member

As the 85D?

10. davidc18

davidc18 Member

Yes, the 70D and 85D are the same except for 70D (two smaller motors) and 70D (smaller battery pack)

11. travwill

travwill Member

From what has been seen, same motors on 70D & 85D, just limits on power to them for efficiency - thus reducing the 0-60 time, etc. The 70D is still more than fast compared to most cars on the road.

12. Spit

Spit Member

Yeah I timed my 0-60 in my BMW 320D today and it was about 11 seconds. The 70D is half that!

13. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Member

My brother and I will get our 70d's at the end of December :biggrin:
    As business owners we're looking at our Model S's as the same quality and performance as BMW M5's with lower running costs and a BIK of £70 a month compared to £550'a month
    £55,000'for the basic car but then I've added £13,000 of options :scared: hopefully by December the Stockport service and delivery centre will be open so we don't have to go all the way to Birmingham :wink::wink:

14. Ingineer

Ingineer Electrical Engineer

The 85D/70D have the same motors, but due to the lower cell count in the 70 the voltage is lower, and thus the power to the motors is reduced.

15. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Member

We've gone 70d as the extra £8000 for the bigger battery seems a lot and when the gigafactory gets going we expect battery prices to drop so if we feel the need we hope it'll be a lot cheaper to upgrade in a few years

16. davidc18

davidc18 Member

This is really interesting. I had assumed they were just different/smaller motors.

17. Ingineer

All cars have the same front motor, and the base 70D/85D have the same size motor in the rear as in the front (with a different final drive ratio), only the P models have a larger motor, so there is only 1 type of front drive unit (motor + inverter), and 2 types of rear drive unit. All else is just software.

18. kenkamm

kenkamm Member

...and battery voltage...

19. Ingineer

Yes, I clarified that above already.

20. JonG

JonG Member

The next gen seats are very different. Don't just go by a picture.