Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

70D deliveries starting H2/16

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rdalcanto, you are missing the point. I put the money down over 2 ½ years ago based upon what the nice young man in his nice Tesla logo’d polo said that I would be the 3575[SUP]th[/SUP] person to take delivery of the Model X. Tesla didn’t know the configurations and they told me I could choose the one I preferred on their website. He sat me down and took me through the configuration of my husband’s Model S and said that I could do the same thing when the Model X would arrive.
Do you really think that some clause or some legal argument is going to make someone that has waited 2 ½ years feel they have been treated fairly when after that long a wait, Tesla says, you have to pay 35k for stuff you don’t want or you have to go to the end of the line? Really? The nice young man told me I could build my Model X according to what I wanted, not according to what Tesla wanted or what someone else thinks I need. I know what I want when I buy a car, no help needed or requested.
I have very little to do every day. What excites me now is to get up every day and tell my story of how I was treated by Tesla. I was at Orange Theory today and they let me take the microphone before class and I told my story and everyone stood up and boo’d. I spent 2 hours after class telling people my story. One was from a very popular talk show and she thinks I can tell my story there.
Elon Musk brought the electric car alive and I have great respect for the tenacity that it took to do that. He is worth 10 billion dollars now, I am not worried about his financial status. What he did to me was evil in my opinion and I intend to share that with as many people as I can. Every day, I have committed to tell 5 people (I reached 60 today) my story, post my story on 3 blogs and post here every day until my car is ready and then I am going to merely park it on the street in Santa Monica with a sign that says “Tesla treated me unfairly and I bought the car just to hang the sign”.

So you would willingly try to sink a company that's trying to change the world, because their sales guy was overly eager and promised you the moon and wasn't able to deliver? We're looking at the choice between waiting an additional 6 months, because the sales guy made a bad promise of being 3575th in-line to receive her model X, OR not being able to get the 70D as desired, because that model won't be released for purchase until 6 months later.

That strikes me as cutting off the nose to spite the face doesn't it? By all means, Tesla has wronged you by failing to keep their promise, but your retaliatory action seems counter-productive.

As for Elon Musks personal worth, I'd be more concerned about the thousands of engineers and workers that worked tirelessly in designing and building your model X. Their livelihoods are at stake as well.

Last edited:
Rdalcanto, you are missing the point. I put the money down over 2 ½ years ago based upon what the nice young man in his nice Tesla logo’d polo said that I would be the 3575[SUP]th[/SUP] person to take delivery of the Model X. Tesla didn’t know the configurations and they told me I could choose the one I preferred on their website. He sat me down and took me through the configuration of my husband’s Model S and said that I could do the same thing when the Model X would arrive.
Do you really think that some clause or some legal argument is going to make someone that has waited 2 ½ years feel they have been treated fairly when after that long a wait, Tesla says, you have to pay 35k for stuff you don’t want or you have to go to the end of the line? Really? The nice young man told me I could build my Model X according to what I wanted, not according to what Tesla wanted or what someone else thinks I need. I know what I want when I buy a car, no help needed or requested.
I have very little to do every day. What excites me now is to get up every day and tell my story of how I was treated by Tesla. I was at Orange Theory today and they let me take the microphone before class and I told my story and everyone stood up and boo’d. I spent 2 hours after class telling people my story. One was from a very popular talk show and she thinks I can tell my story there.
Elon Musk brought the electric car alive and I have great respect for the tenacity that it took to do that. He is worth 10 billion dollars now, I am not worried about his financial status. What he did to me was evil in my opinion and I intend to share that with as many people as I can. Every day, I have committed to tell 5 people (I reached 60 today) my story, post my story on 3 blogs and post here every day until my car is ready and then I am going to merely park it on the street in Santa Monica with a sign that says “Tesla treated me unfairly and I bought the car just to hang the sign”.

Most people are going to hear your story and think about the fact that you are whining about when you will get the opportunity to purchase a $100k car and promptly dismiss everything you have to say. In today's world of participation trophies and me me me I can see how you've developed this attitude, but I doubt anyone is going to care that much when/if you ever get to buy a Model X.

I agree, it would be nice to get some better communication from Tesla. But at times I think "they're flying by the seats of their pants" and they honestly don't know or haven't figured out the timings yet.

You give them too little credit. Tesla has been using the impatience of its prospective customers to nudge them towards ordering cars from the top end of their line-up. They know full well what and why they are setting the timing expectations like they do. Where they don't have figured things out is how to keep themselves to their deadlines.

You give them too little credit. Tesla has been using the impatience of its prospective customers to nudge them towards ordering cars from the top end of their line-up. They know full well what and why they are setting the timing expectations like they do. Where they don't have figured things out is how to keep themselves to their deadlines.

Tesla revised 2015 delivery estimates down numerous times, I don't see how they can get by with doing it again in 2016 before the market loses faith in them completely. They need to deliver about 30k Xs in 2016, and if they are only delivering P90Ds in the first half, that's a tall order. Most people get why they are prioritizing P90Ds to the front, but what is more concerning to me is the fact that they are publicly stating that deliveries of the regular 90D will happen in the second half.

I do not personally see any way that they can deliver 8-12k P90Ds based on the current reservation backlog, so either they will REALLY be able to ramp production in the 2H of 2016 they will most likely miss their 2016 delivery estimates. Or they will simply start delivering the 90D earlier than the 2H of 16 which would constitute the first time they have delivered anything early.

Hey, there's a first time for everything!!!

I agree with a lot of the frustrations that have been aired thus far.

Ive have this idea of a pseudo solution that I thought I'd share.

Like many of you, I feel like delaying the 70D is shortsighted when weighed against pissing off your most loyal followers. But I can kind of wrap my head around it.

But what I *really* can't stand, is that if you don't want a P90D, your reservation spot almost becomes meaningless. By NOT confirming an order for a Model X the minute you're invited to configure, you're basically stepping aside and letting not only everyone who does want a P90D ahead of you. But you're also letting everyone who's willing to confirm a 90D or 70D (and hence commit their 5k) step in front of you too.

There should be a fair way to preserve order for the 90D and 70D folks without them having to commit their 5k. It just seems wrong to have to promise your 5k at the same moment as a P90D purchaser, yet tesla won't even begin producing 70Ds till who knows when.

My idea would work like this:
lets say there are 30k X reservations
let's say tesla wants to produce all P90Ds, then 90Ds and then 70Ds (ok this isn't hypothetical)
it sounds like history shows around 15% choose the P, but let's say 20% to be safe (that's 6000 P90Ds)
im just gonna guess of the remaining 24k reservations, 12k would be 90D buyers and 12k would be 70D
what tesla should be doing now, is inviting people to configure in waves (as they are), and the configurator
should be up and running so you could "build" all three styles: P90D/90D/70D so you can know the prices.
Then, your only 2 choices would be:
1) commit to ordering a P90D OR
2) commit to NOT ordering a P90D
once you select #2, your $5k is STILL refundable. But, you get placed on a new list according to your original reservation #.

then, when tesla is ready to start building 90Ds, they start over with that new list, and invite people in waves and your choices become:
1) commit to a 90D OR
2) wait for the 70D

what this does, is allows you to preserve your order as best you can, while not forcing you to commit your 5k until tesla actually starts building your style

let's take a very early (i.e. 4000) reservation holder. Ok, it sucks, 6000 people will get to go before you with a P90D, but, then you'll still get a super early crack at the 90D. If you happen to want a 90D, well then you're probably not too pissed.

in fact, logistically, it may be for the greater good that tesla be able to slam through 6000 P90Ds orders early. This may streamline production and allow them to work through some kinks without the trouble of having to juggle P90Ds/90Ds/70Ds all interleaved in production.

For people like me who are interested in a 70D, it sucks the most. But at LEAST, I could know that within those final remaining 12k reservation holders who are waiting for the 70D, I will maintain my relative priority without having to promise 5k subject to forfeit like a year in advance!

anyway, this is something that would actually make me feel a lot better. Right now tesla is not only strong arming us to upsell to a P90D, but they are also saying if you don't want that, you better commit your 5k to a 70D or else you fall WAY back to the very end of the line and the time your money has spent on the waiting list thus far gives you nothing.

I agree with you that Tesla has (from the beginning) planned on building the highest cost P90D first. They did that with the Model-S too. Everyone seems to agree it makes good business sense, and it has the potential to convert more people to buying a more expensive model, thereby maximizing profits.

However, I don't believe that the rest of the roll-out was well thought out. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to build a 70D version until sometime after the Sept 2015 reveal. I still think that the seat configurations are still up in the air and being figured out, and I'm hoping that a folding seat option is being designed right now. This is not a fully planned, well thought-out roll-out. They're figuring this out on the fly.

I'm not criticizing Tesla, just making an observation. I probably would have done it the same way because I wouldn't have the experience and understanding on how to do it properly, so being light and nimble with the decision making is the best way to compensate.

I do not normally respond to this kind of thing, but I think you are missing the point and are buying a Tesla for the wrong reasons. I agree with the lack of communication and frustrations on the delivery of the Model X. I tend to look more at the big picture and for me it is more about helping Tesla get to the Model 3 mass market vehicle. So we have lots of growing pains along the way, it is unfortunate that someone who can afford this car has such a selfish attitude. You need to think more about what is happening with this company and the future of the electric car and how that will effect everyone down the road. You sound like one of my employee's who when I wanted to improve our company for not only the customer but everyone some would automatically say "what's in it for me". How could you even think that 2 1/2 years ago a nice young man said something that no one knew about and now you feel you cannot get your car when you want it with just exactly what you want. It is unfortunate that now because like a 3 year old that did not get his binky fast enough to you are crying to everyone about how bad Telsa is. The fact that there is going to be a Model X is amazing and it is a stepping stone to the real disruption when the Model 3 is produced. Will Telsa have to improve everything to make this happen, of course. I wish everyone could step back and remember how old this company is and how if it is successful it will change the automotive field and help the environment.

Word of mouth works both ways.

OP Sbkirkland

"Do you really think that some clause or some legal argument is going to make someone that has waited 2 ½ years feel they have been treated fairly when after that long a wait, Tesla says, you have to pay 35k for stuff you don’t want or you have to go to the end of the line? Really?"

You're clearly not alone in your feelings. The idea that TESLA, and EM are so superior to all other automobile companies is greatly undermined by the way this Model X pseudo rollout has unfolded. Lots of obfuscation and very little transparency is frittering away alot of goodwill :frown:

Last edited:
Most people are going to hear your story and think about the fact that you are whining about when you will get the opportunity to purchase a $100k car and promptly dismiss everything you have to say. In today's world of participation trophies and me me me I can see how you've developed this attitude, but I doubt anyone is going to care that much when/if you ever get to buy a Model X.
I care. It bumps me up one spot in the line. :)

My idea would work like this:
lets say there are 30k X reservations
let's say tesla wants to produce all P90Ds, then 90Ds and then 70Ds (ok this isn't hypothetical)
it sounds like history shows around 15% choose the P, but let's say 20% to be safe (that's 6000 P90Ds)
im just gonna guess of the remaining 24k reservations, 12k would be 90D buyers and 12k would be 70D
what tesla should be doing now, is inviting people to configure in waves (as they are), and the configurator
should be up and running so you could "build" all three styles: P90D/90D/70D so you can know the prices.

I think the system as it stands to basically does this. They are inviting reservation holders in groups of about 2500 at a time. For each type P90D, 90D, 70D there ends up a separate queue based on the order your configure. So if you want a 70D and get a chance to configure early, when 70D's start their production you car will come out sooner than others who configured later. Sure you will get beat by the P90D and 90D's but that is in your scenarios too.

Note if you defer the configuration, then your place naturally gets put back because the list is ordered by when you configure, not when you made your reservation. The configuration queue is by reservation date (number).

I think the system as it stands to basically does this. They are inviting reservation holders in groups of about 2500 at a time. For each type P90D, 90D, 70D there ends up a separate queue based on the order your configure. So if you want a 70D and get a chance to configure early, when 70D's start their production you car will come out sooner than others who configured later. Sure you will get beat by the P90D and 90D's but that is in your scenarios too.

Note if you defer the configuration, then your place naturally gets put back because the list is ordered by when you configure, not when you made your reservation. The configuration queue is by reservation date (number).

Not quite the same thing as Superloud is suggesting. The problem is, when Tesla invites one to configure, they don't know what you will choose (P90D, 90D, 70D). Once a choice is made, you're locked in regardless of choice. The problem is if you choose 70D, you're locked in for the next 6 months until they get around to building your vehicle.

What he did to me was evil in my opinion and I intend to share that with as many people as I can. Every day, I have committed to tell 5 people (I reached 60 today) my story, post my story on 3 blogs and post here every day until my car is ready and then I am going to merely park it on the street in Santa Monica with a sign that says “Tesla treated me unfairly and I bought the car just to hang the sign”.

Good luck with your campaign.... :rolleyes: You can meet up with the guy who's handing out these flyers and work together in your joint mission...

teslafyler.jpg

Last edited:
I too am disappointed with 90D and 70D delays but Tesla knows alot about its customers. Alot of us can spend 40K more and because of instant gratification problems, many of us will. Everyone in sales knows this trick does indeed work to boost someone considering a lower priced model.

I almost went all in but finally configured a 90D yesterday. I decided the third Tesla could wait and the first two are fast enough . . . First world problems.

Bottom line, Tesla has always communicated horribly and has repeatedly made many fundamental errors in customer service, but trying to get us all to give them 40K more wasn't a customer service decision, it was a stockholder one.

Not quite the same thing as Superloud is suggesting. The problem is, when Tesla invites one to configure, they don't know what you will choose (P90D, 90D, 70D). Once a choice is made, you're locked in regardless of choice. The problem is if you choose 70D, you're locked in for the next 6 months until they get around to building your vehicle.
OK. Then why choose at all unless you are going to pick the 90D? If you are wishy washy (like I am) then you have to pay the piper a bit over those who are certain what they want.

I suspect Tesla is doing all of this to somehow try to gauge acceptance of the product and test some theories. Depending on how the responses go (who orders/does not order and what they order) they may unbundle features, add features or even get rid of features. We had one comment from a DS that at least 200 sigs never configured at all. That has to tell you something.

I would state unless you really like what you see -wait. That is what I plan on doing. And at some point the $5k reservation becomes moot because I will have waited until everyone else has decided and moved above me. That is the price I pay for not aligning to Tesla.

When did Tesla ever say that they would deliver all possible models of the X at the initial rollout? We did not even know a 70 version existed until several weeks ago when the regular production reservation holders were asked to Configure. In fact I recall Elon saying something like a more affordable 70 or 75 would come out in about a year after initial deliveries.

Making people buy a P90D to get a car before August 2016 is to me a bigger slight to the reservation holders

The people that want 70D and are canceling their reservation are short sighted in my mind. I believe there is still an advantage to a reservation holder confirming a 70 now as opposed to a new person making a new reservation today. The quoted post below states what I believe to be the reality of the reservation situation. Another side of the issue is fact that Tesla's first 10,000 +/- X's being Sig or P90D is that all those people that are not as vested or obsessed as people on this forum will have their first Model X experience a one of a kind rocket ship when we take our friends to the onramp and punch it. Think of the word of mouth and once again 0$$ on advertising.

"I think the system as it stands to basically does this. They are inviting reservation holders in groups of about 2500 at a time. For each type P90D, 90D, 70D there ends up a separate queue based on the order your configure. So if you want a 70D and get a chance to configure early, when 70D's start their production you car will come out sooner than others who configured later. Sure you will get beat by the P90D and 90D's but that is in your scenarios too.

Note if you defer the configuration, then your place naturally gets put back because the list is ordered by when you configure, not when you made your reservation. The configuration queue is by reservation date (number)."

Oil4AsphaultOnly, I have great respect for Elon Musk, he was really the guy that busted the doors down for the electric car, but news flash, the doors are busted down. Every car manufacturer in the world produces a plug in vehicle and they are all in high demand. The demand for engineers is fierce, don’t worry about them, the industry is exploding forward even if Telsa explodes on the launch pad. I test drove the Porsche Cayenne plug in today. It was at the Beverly Hills Porsche dealership and I dealt with Mat a very nice young man from Ohio and I told him my story. He said, you buy a car from us, you will have to wait 3 or 4 months to get it, but no one is breaking in front of the line, I give you my word. Tell him Tesla X Reservation number 3,575 sent you. He said everyone will get $2,000 off the Porsche Plug in by mentioning my number.

So you would willingly try to sink a company that's trying to change the world, because their sales guy was overly eager and promised you the moon and wasn't able to deliver? We're looking at the choice between waiting an additional 6 months, because the sales guy made a bad promise of being 3575th in-line to receive her model X, OR not being able to get the 70D as desired, because that model won't be released for purchase until 6 months later.

That strikes me as cutting off the nose to spite the face doesn't it? By all means, Tesla has wronged you by failing to keep their promise, but your retaliatory action seems counter-productive.

As for Elon Musks personal worth, I'd be more concerned about the thousands of engineers and workers that worked tirelessly in designing and building your model X. Their livelihoods are at stake as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Does the Thor in your screen name come from the super hero Thor? Anyway, what you call whining I call fighting back. I can tell you first hand, everyone that I have told my story to in person says that what Tesla did to me and many like me is fundamentally unfair, whether it involves a $100k car or a $4 burger. Wait in line for an hour to get your seat at a table and be told, the person that just arrived is going to purchase a more expensive meal, go to the back of the line. Thor, you may go to the back of the line, SbKirkland swings back.

- - - Updated - - -

As a general matter. I go to Orange Theory in Santa Monica and they had a party tonight for all the members, it was a lot of fun, mention Tesla Model X reservation 3,575 and they will give you a discount. Anyway, I digress, all of the complainers to my very valid complaint about how I was treated unfairly by Tesla as a customer seems to stem from the Stock Promoters. My suggestion, go to the stock promotion sites not the customer sites, you are generally preaching to the choir here. I appreciate everyone's comments and feel free to keep them coming. I will respond to them when I am not promoting my primary mission of telling everyone about the fantastic new plug in alternatives to the Tesla and how I was treated unfairly by Tesla. As always, thanks is owed to Elon Musk for bringing the electric car to the world, my humble suggestion, Elon stop focusing on this short term wall street fixation about your stock price, it will take care of itself if you take care of your loyal customers. Ask a guy named Warren about that.

I said that it was 3 in out tonight, but Merrill, I assume as in Merrill Lynch, here is the big picture. The world needs to get off Oil, burning it pollutes the earth and that causes untold problems and cars burn a lot of it. The big picture is not Tesla.

Tesla is losing sight of the big picture, the world’s car companies are in an all out sprint to the electric car. Yes, it is because of Elon Musk’s incredible drive to bring the electric car to market against the big oil money and their propaganda machine they generated to make people think that an electric car is evil. I love the movie “The Death of the Electric Car”, I will always respect that man, he really did cut the path. But, the path, thanks to him, has been cut and now it is about the money, not the big picture, for Tesla.

Now, I was a person that preached his story to many for many years. My husband is from the south and I am originally from New Orleans. As a general matter, that part of the country listens to Fox (Big Oil) News who says that electric cars are bad. I will still preach that everyone should get an electric car and that is the Big Picture. Tesla was a pioneer in the big picture, they are not the Big Picture. They will sell a handful of cars, they have raging fans, and they took a fan like me and treated me with disdain.

I am not Telsa's employee, I am its customer, you seem to have confused the two. I don’t get it. Really, is this just a stock promotion? Does Elon really need more money? I don’t get it. I went to the factory about 2 years ago for this announcement made by Elon about the battery exchange, people were so excited to be there, why would they want to upset that fan base?

You are a business man, do you upset your most loyal customers because it is in your short term best interest? I bet you don't. Why do you think it is different for Tesla? They need they their loyal customers to be a long term success.

I do not normally respond to this kind of thing, but I think you are missing the point and are buying a Tesla for the wrong reasons. I agree with the lack of communication and frustrations on the delivery of the Model X. I tend to look more at the big picture and for me it is more about helping Tesla get to the Model 3 mass market vehicle. So we have lots of growing pains along the way, it is unfortunate that someone who can afford this car has such a selfish attitude. You need to think more about what is happening with this company and the future of the electric car and how that will effect everyone down the road. You sound like one of my employee's who when I wanted to improve our company for not only the customer but everyone some would automatically say "what's in it for me". How could you even think that 2 1/2 years ago a nice young man said something that no one knew about and now you feel you cannot get your car when you want it with just exactly what you want. It is unfortunate that now because like a 3 year old that did not get his binky fast enough to you are crying to everyone about how bad Telsa is. The fact that there is going to be a Model X is amazing and it is a stepping stone to the real disruption when the Model 3 is produced. Will Telsa have to improve everything to make this happen, of course. I wish everyone could step back and remember how old this company is and how if it is successful it will change the automotive field and help the environment.

Oil4AsphaultOnly, I have great respect for Elon Musk, he was really the guy that busted the doors down for the electric car, but news flash, the doors are busted down. Every car manufacturer in the world produces a plug in vehicle and they are all in high demand. The demand for engineers is fierce, don’t worry about them, the industry is exploding forward even if Telsa explodes on the launch pad. I test drove the Porsche Cayenne plug in today. It was at the Beverly Hills Porsche dealership and I dealt with Mat a very nice young man from Ohio and I told him my story. He said, you buy a car from us, you will have to wait 3 or 4 months to get it, but no one is breaking in front of the line, I give you my word. Tell him Tesla X Reservation number 3,575 sent you. He said everyone will get $2,000 off the Porsche Plug in by mentioning my number.

If you think the Porsche Plug-in is an indication that market has changed, then we have very different perspectives on the market. The EV1 was released in 1996 and discontinued in 2000. The Honda EV plus was released in 1997 and discontinued in 1999. The first Rav4 EV was released in 1997 and discontinued in 2002. They were all cancelled by the manufacturers who claimed that EV's weren't "in demand". With gas prices at all time lows, who's to say the car manufacturers won't revert back to that same argument and keep EV's as "niche" products?

Until the model 3 is released, Tesla's job isn't done yet. So by all means, make a stink to Tesla about how they have strayed from their customer service claims. But most people need more daily AER range than you do, and steering them towards such a weak "plug-in" is counter-productive.

Last edited:

Sbkirkland; I am confused. You have a Model X on order, you are unhappy that a salesperson gave you incorrect information, you are trying to get as many people as possible not to buy a Tesla, but you have not cancelled your order? What is the goal of your efforts? It seems that you are in a constant state of anger (which is really unhealthy for you). Why not cancel you order and buy the Porsche plug in you are recommending to everyone else?

If you don't cancel your order I hope Tesla does (just like they did for the guy threatening a lawsuit). It seems they will get the same amount of bad press and you won't have a Model X to hang a sign on.