Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

70D deliveries starting H2/16

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oil4AspahultOnly, I like the screen name, a little hard to type, but it is cool. Here is the point that you are missing, all of the examples you have given are about car companies that released an EV vehicle in the 90s. Elon Musk was able to penetrate the Fox News (Electric Cars are Evil) noise and make enough people want to buy an electric car because he made it cool and pushed hard. I applaud and respect him for that. Just google “SUV Plug In 2016” and every car manufacture will show up in the list. Go and try to buy one and they all have a waiting list. Tesla doesn’t own the EV market. Elon made it happen, but, it has now happened.

Here is the real point. I am a customer that was treated unfairly. Everyone I tell the story gets it within 10 seconds. I put $5k down to buy a car that I knew would take 9 months to a year to produce and they delayed me 18 months and when it came time to get the car, they said, move to the back of the line. People get that simple message instantly. Stand in line patiently and when it is your turn, they tell you to go back to the end of the line. Whether it is for a $100k car, an $11 movie ticket or a $4 dollar burger, people get upset. It is fundamentally unfair, all people, rich, poor, male or female, of any ethnicity feel the same emotion of unfair play. What Tesla did to me and many others is not fair play. They said it is better for them 2.5 years later to let someone else to go in front of me because they are willing to pay more. That wasn’t the deal 2.5 years ago when I put my money down. No normal person believes that is fair or just. I get you love Tesla, I loved them, but if you are treated with disdain, it is time to stop loving and stand up and say “This isn’t fair”. I am standing up and saying “This isn’t fair”.

- - - Updated - - -

Beths11, are there eleven of you? Anyway, let me clear up the confusion and directly respond to your veiled threat. I put the deposit down 2.5 years ago because I wanted to buy the car. I waited patiently and then it was my turn and they said, “sorry, go to the back of the line”. I live in Santa Monica with the beach in site, wonderful family and friends, but that doesn’t mean that I don’t stand up when I am treated unfairly. Standing up to injustice is the backbone of America and your veiled threat that Tesla is going to cancel my order only fuels my fire to tell my story. It is the people that stand up that makes a difference, kinda like Elon did . . . uhmmm. Do you watch Fox News?

You sound like a little girl (assuming that you are a girl, otherwise read child) who did not get what she wanted in the way that she wanted. Crying.....But it isn't fair!
Life isn't fair. Sometimes business is business. Maybe Tesla needs the additional cash from the more expensive models in order to keep the business going well. Would you rather have a 70 but no supercharger network or wait a few months for what will probably be a better car (tesla keeps improving). I put down 40k and am still waiting.

You realize that you decided to buy a car from a startup company with all the uncertainty that comes with it. You can't compare this to established companies that already have manufacturing in place and are making minor changes at most to a new product.

Grow up. Stop complaining and try to learn what the phrase "deferred gratification " means.

SMH at the gnashing of teeth in this thread and happy to read that there are many who have perspective.

Although I canceled my X reservation (to all reservation holders above 15960 - you are welcomed), I would've been waiting longer because I favor range over performance.

Tesla has done a few questionable things in regards to this car (like hiding that 72A feature) but prioritizing model builds is not one of them, IMO.

Maybe I am not up to date on the current nomenclature since I live on the east coast. I thought that husband implied male (or identifies as one) , wife female (or identifies) and partner (or spouse) is gender neutral.
But just because you have a husband doesn't mean that you are female. So the poster mentioning a husband doesn't necessarily mean that they are female.

Maybe I am not up to date on the current nomenclature since I live on the east coast. I thought that husband implied male (or identifies as one) , wife female (or identifies) and partner (or spouse) is gender neutral.

Sorry the nomenclature changed again with the SCOTUS marriage decision. Many gay men are "husband and husband" and many lesbians "wife and wife".

No idea how those passes work, but wouldn't signature vs. regular reservation be a better comparison?

No, because you can't buy the signature model after the initial introductory period (that would be more like a limited time offer Star Wars pass vs. other season passes). It's the line jumping that sbkirkland has issues with.

In either case, the point was to show that there are countless examples of people getting better treatment, because they paid more.

I think the most relevant point was about how _IF_ Tesla had announced this priority queuing system _BEFORE_ accepting deposits would've yielded no complaints about fairness. You can actually see that they did this continuously with the production of the P85D coming before the other models at the beginning of the year, where you would get your model S sooner if you bought the P85D versus any of the other models. This is a function of how they batch production both by model, and by region.

So complaining about it being unfair now is only because of the surprise factor. The expectation on TMC is that they're going to do this with the model 3 (since well before the model X 70D was announced) as well, and I hope that Tesla gets this expectation made clear or there will be more miffed deposit holders.

Yes, I know what deferred gratification means, that is why I have been patiently waiting since May 2013 for the Model X. When I put down my money I was planning on getting a new car at that time because I had been driving a mini van for 8 years. I was so excited that Tesla was going to come out with a car that would seat 7 and be all electric I was willing to defer getting a new car for 15 months. I also knew it was a start up company and realized it would probably be longer that the 15 months. I am still willing to wait for the car taking longer if it is based on the issues with the design and suppliers. What I am not willing to wait on is being put in the back of the line behind other people who have not been waiting the 2 1/2 years I have for the car. By the way I still don't have a new car, I am still driving a 2005 Honda Odyssey that is on its last leg. Don't assume I don't know what deferred gratification is, I have been deferring my gratification since May 2013. In November of this year when I called in to get an update, I was told based on my number I would be getting an email the beginning of December to configure my car. I was ecstatic, but when I asked him directly how long it would be from the date my car was configured till when it would be delivered he said and I quote "We haven't made the information public yet". I am thinking it is because they still haven't ironed out all the production issues. I figured it would probably be March. He never mentioned to me we have several models and it will depend on which one you select and please don't tell me Tesla didn't know in November how they were going to do the roll out. It is hard to continue to trust and believe in a company that is intentionally misleading.

Also everyone please stop saying that Tesla needs the sales of the higher priced cars for cash flow. That is just ********. When I called in last week they told me they don't expect to sell that many of the P90s and P90d so it shouldn't take that long to get to the 70s. Problem is I don't believe anything they tell me anymore. For all I know it could be another 2 years before I get the Model X.

You sound like a little girl (assuming that you are a girl, otherwise read child) who did not get what she wanted in the way that she wanted. Crying.....But it isn't fair!
Life isn't fair. Sometimes business is business. Maybe Tesla needs the additional cash from the more expensive models in order to keep the business going well. Would you rather have a 70 but no supercharger network or wait a few months for what will probably be a better car (tesla keeps improving). I put down 40k and am still waiting.

You realize that you decided to buy a car from a startup company with all the uncertainty that comes with it. You can't compare this to established companies that already have manufacturing in place and are making minor changes at most to a new product.

Grow up. Stop complaining and try to learn what the phrase "deferred gratification " means.

- - - Updated - - -

Correct Oil4AsphaultOnly, Had they said from the very beginning when I put my money down that they were going to roll it out based on model and battery then I would not be complaining now. I would have been able to make an informed decision at that time and set my expectations as such.

Of course there a million examples of people getting better treatment for paying more money, the difference is that everyone knows ahead of time that is how it is going to be, it is not sprung on them at the last minute after they have already been waiting for 2 1/2 years. When you buy your Disneyland ticket you know that there are people who are willing to pay more to get to the front of the line.

Yes it is the jumping ahead of line that has pissed me off and their complete and total intentional withholding of information.

No, because you can't buy the signature model after the initial introductory period (that would be more like a limited time offer Star Wars pass vs. other season passes). It's the line jumping that sbkirkland has issues with.

In either case, the point was to show that there are countless examples of people getting better treatment, because they paid more.

I think the most relevant point was about how _IF_ Tesla had announced this priority queuing system _BEFORE_ accepting deposits would've yielded no complaints about fairness. You can actually see that they did this continuously with the production of the P85D coming before the other models at the beginning of the year, where you would get your model S sooner if you bought the P85D versus any of the other models. This is a function of how they batch production both by model, and by region

I think the most relevant point was about how _IF_ Tesla had announced this priority queuing system _BEFORE_ accepting deposits would've yielded no complaints about fairness. You can actually see that they did this continuously with the production of the P85D coming before the other models at the beginning of the year, where you would get your model S sooner if you bought the P85D versus any of the other models. This is a function of how they batch production both by model, and by region.

So complaining about it being unfair now is only because of the surprise factor. The expectation on TMC is that they're going to do this with the model 3 (since well before the model X 70D was announced) as well, and I hope that Tesla gets this expectation made clear or there will be more miffed deposit holders.

He never mentioned to me we have several models and it will depend on which one you select and please don't tell me Tesla didn't know in November how they were going to do the roll out. It is hard to continue to trust and believe in a company that is intentionally misleading.

Why do you think that Tesla/Elon Musk is "intentionally misleading"? Isn't it more believable that they are simply figuring this stuff as they go along (and/or making mistakes along the way)? If you are as intelligent as I think you are, you'll understand that they have nothing to gain by being intentionally misleading.

Yes, I know what deferred gratification means, that is why I have been patiently waiting since May 2013 for the Model X. When I put down my money I was planning on getting a new car at that time because I had been driving a mini van for 8 years. I was so excited that Tesla was going to come out with a car that would seat 7 and be all electric I was willing to defer getting a new car for 15 months. I also knew it was a start up company and realized it would probably be longer that the 15 months. I am still willing to wait for the car taking longer if it is based on the issues with the design and suppliers. What I am not willing to wait on is being put in the back of the line behind other people who have not been waiting the 2 1/2 years I have for the car. By the way I still don't have a new car, I am still driving a 2005 Honda Odyssey that is on its last leg. Don't assume I don't know what deferred gratification is, I have been deferring my gratification since May 2013.

Sorry, I was a "little" harsh. Guess the wait is starting to get to me too. I really will miss the "promised" folding second row seats. I don't think any of us are getting what we expected and none of this is fair. We are all dealing with some disappointment and hearing you go on and on about it makes it more difficult to deal with. Most of us have either come to accept it or cancelled cause "it is what it is" (Damn, I hate that phrase!)

Vandacca No it is very clear what they are doing. They are responding to Wallstreet, Wallstreet wants them to make a few more dollars in the short term by catering to their most profitable customers at the expense of their most loyal ones. The next financial quarter that may of benefit, but the next 100 quarters if they keep that attitude will be the death of Tesla. As the guy in Nebraska about that.

Why do you think that Tesla/Elon Musk is "intentionally misleading"? Isn't it more believable that they are simply figuring this stuff as they go along (and/or making mistakes along the way)? If you are as intelligent as I think you are, you'll understand that they have nothing to gain by being intentionally misleading.

- - - Updated - - -

Superloud, yes I am still buying the Model X, in fact my reservation becomes confirmed tomorrow. I bought the Porche and my husband is going to wait for the Model X because that works for him. He is not going to hang the sign that I was treated unfairly, that bothers me a little bit, it was a 2 day battle. To answer many bloggers questions, I am a female, not sure what difference that makes.

Soooo, Sbkirkland....are you still planning on buying a model X? :)

I'm trying to ask this with zero judgement. It just doesn't add up and your answer for me kind of is the linchpin in your whole thing

- - - Updated - - -

As a closing statement for today. I am still upset that people are going to be able to jump ahead of me in line, and I will continue to tell my story where ever I go. Including my husband.

Today I was at the Chipotle on the 3rd Street Promenade telling a friend of mine about my Telsa story and the manager over heard and said that is terrible. I told him my reservation number was 3575 and if anyone mentioned that number to him would he give them a discount on their order. He said he would, everyone would get a $1 off each meal. I am starting to feel this is like AAA, and if you mention number 3575 you will get a discount from Chipotle to amusement parks. More discounts to be announced.

Sbkirkland; [COLOR=silver said:
- - - Updated - - -[/COLOR]

As a closing statement for today. I am still upset that people are going to be able to jump ahead of me in line, and I will continue to tell my story where ever I go. Including my husband.

Today I was at the Chipotle on the 3rd Street Promenade telling a friend of mine about my Telsa story and the manager over heard and said that is terrible. I told him my reservation number was 3575 and if anyone mentioned that number to him would he give them a discount on their order. He said he would, everyone would get a $1 off each meal. I am starting to feel this is like AAA, and if you mention number 3575 you will get a discount from Chipotle to amusement parks. More discounts to be announced.

Now you are just enjoying complaining and the feeling of "righteous indignation". Ever hear of the term, secondary gain?

So you've sold out Tesla's mission for $1. You're a terrible person. Seriously. You weren't being denied a model X, and tesla has officially promised that you'll get it in 2016 (far better promise than that of the sales guy who wasn't really privy to such info). Your only real gripe was being surprised about the priority queue and pricing. This is just being vindictive.

So you've sold out Tesla's mission for $1. You're a terrible person. Seriously. You weren't being denied a model X, and tesla has officially promised that you'll get it in 2016 (far better promise than that of the sales guy who wasn't really privy to such info). Your only real gripe was being surprised about the priority queue and pricing. This is just being vindictive.

Wow! SBkirkland has a right to her opinion and to voice it just as you do. Too many people on this board take Tesla a little to personally and act like Elon Musk signs their paychecks and anything critical about the product or process MUST be debunked and destroyed. Feel better?

I highly doubt it will even matter in the long run. Do you know how many people ask me who makes my car in the Virginia area. When I say Tesla, they say is that Ford or Chevy? This has happened to me multiple times. I doubt the $1 off at Chipotle will change anything.

How many stories have we heard about GM/Ford/Toyota/Etc?? That car is %*$#@( awesome is the general response I get.

It just sounds a little childish going around complaining about a queue. And, I could also be affected by the queue prioritization. I just don't care. #FirstWordProblems