Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

70D first roadtrip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Max*

Charging
Apr 8, 2015
NoVa
I was a little concerned taking Blue on her first trip with all the talk about city mpge vs. highway mgpe and charging times and etc.

Drove from VA to NYC, about 250 miles. SUCCESS!

Drove out with 96% charge, got to the Delaware supercharger with 40+%. Had TACC set to 80mph, though due to traffic probably averaged out at 75mph. AC to 67. Range mode on.

I got 280wh/mi. I was shocked. My city driving was 350wh/mi!

Then my wife drove... No TACC. She got "lucky" there was a little bit of traffic. We stopped by the NJ supercharger since the kids had to use the restroom, and charged for maybe 10 mins (completely unnecessary to make our trip, but someone came by to chat, lol). She got (due to traffic I assume, she probably averaged out closer to 65mph) 270 wh/mi from DE to NJ, and 260 WH/mi from NJ to NY.

Very impressive. For everyone reading the specs on the car on paper and comparing city. vs highway vs. whatever, the car is awesome and can get pretty damn good range. (With one necessary 15 min charge, one unnecessary 10 min charge, not changing our driving style, we got to NY with 38%)

Awesome to hear! Glad you got the car as well btw, I think we have pretty close VINs! ;-) I'm finding that the range estimation is spot on or better usually and the wh/mi I'm getting is always good, below 300 or closer to 280 quite often or sometimes less. The 70D seems very efficient! I'm sure in the cold Winter it'll zap quite a bit of efficiency but that happens to all cars...