Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

70D owners, what's your supercharging speed (or reliable data from Tesla)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just saw one of Bjorn's video's today where he showed the SC charging speeds of the 85 battery vs 60 battery. Basically both cars began with about 5 to 6 miles left on the battery and they were both changed to 80%.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S00RG6uqpPo

Basically it took 46 mins for the 85 while about 56 mins for the 60.

These times mirror to these cases:
For 85, 30 mins to charge 137 miles
For 85, 46 mins to charge 185 miles
For 60, 56 mins to charge 137 miles
This results in almost twice the charging time to get the same amount of miles for the 60.

I recently ordered a 70D and I think the potential differential in charging time between the 70 and 85 is very important to me (like I may still have a chance to change at this time).

So for any new 70D owners, or anyone who has gotten precise data from Tesla, how long does it take the 70D, on a SC, to charge from say 5% (or some low percentage around that) to 70%, 80%, and 90%?

For example, if say it takes 52 mins to charge to 80% (for 70D), which would be about 195 miles [244 (supposed actual rated range) x 0.8]; then equiv 85 would charge to 216 (270 x 0.8) in 46 mins. If that's the difference, I think I can deal with it... as it would result in maybe a 15 min longer stay the SC to get about the same range (say to 90%), while for the 60, it basically means staying at SCs twice as long for the same trip.

If on the other hand, the 70D actually charges at the same rate as 60 at SC, but just has a bigger battery (basically resulting in the same x2 charging time vs 85, then 70D is a definite no go for me).

Zero, our Charlotte store has 70Ds for test driving (as I have spent a couple hours in one). I suggest asking them for an extended test drive, wear down the battery a bit (or hopefully it already is after other test drives) and give it a whirl at the Mallard Creek Supercharger. Nothing like first-hand experience!

I have a 60 battery. The Bjorn video is in my opinion not representative for the charging rates I am getting, at least not for SUC's in Europe. Even with battery at around 10% I can get around 100KW-110 KW or more charging in the beginning. With the video in Bjorn's it starts at only 70-75. Big difference.
The curve which shows the charging rate (50% in 20 minutes) is also valid for the 60. However the only difference is the battery being smaller you add less km/ miles of range. But percentage wise the charge rate is more or less the same.
Have a look at this video (it is shot in the US), https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYPeequUD4s
I recognize this more for my 60. In any case I have made several road trips and charging from 0% to 80% is also 40 minutes or less for a 60.

Great video Philinator, thanks. This so different from Bjorn's video... I wonder why... Could it be temperature? like lower temp affects charging rate as well?

Basically it appears you charged to 80% in about 43 mins and to 90% in 54 mins. So basically the % rate is about the same as 85 (as posted by Bjorn). Miles differ because the 60 has less miles to begin with.

Any other 60 owners want to share experiences?

I am becoming more relieved at the moment.

Well the max charge rate for 85 is 120KW I think. So max power is higher, but from the video, it looks like %-wise, you are still looking at 10-80% in 40 minutes like what Musk is advertising. If this is still true for the 70D, then 10% to 80% is 24 miles to 192 miles range in 40 minutes still. This is 168 miles for 40 minutes vs the 85D which is 189 miles range in 40 minutes making the same assumption as the 70D (10% to 80%).

like Zer0cool said, this might be a relief because we are looking at 216 miles vs 192 miles starting range at 80% if we want for the same amount of time charging between the 85D and 70D. This equates to a 24 miles difference when you start your trip at each supercharger.

So either you drive faster on the 85D to get to the next supercharging station OR leave earlier from each supercharging station and go the same speed as the 70D.

Still the 85D range is tempting for those occasional road trip. I might have to pay more because I plan to use my car quite a bit for road trips if I do get a tesla.

Yes, I just called our Tesla sales center and they confirmed that 70D would charge to 80% form 0 in 40 something minutes, similar to a 85D. So basically the range difference is only the difference between max range. So with 85D, you ll get 216 while the 70D would get 192 in the same amt of time.

Assuming you need the extra 20 miles, then you ll just have to stay 10-15 more mins for the car to charge to 90 or 95% before you leave.

So ya, the 85D may save an hour at the charging station on a long trip, assuming you really need the 200 mile range between SCs. Otherwise pretty much no difference.

Great video Philinator, thanks. This so different from Bjorn's video... I wonder why... Could it be temperature? like lower temp affects charging rate as well?

Basically it appears you charged to 80% in about 43 mins and to 90% in 54 mins. So basically the % rate is about the same as 85 (as posted by Bjorn). Miles differ because the 60 has less miles to begin with.

Any other 60 owners want to share experiences?

I am becoming more relieved at the moment.

First of all let me tell you I am very jealous that you can get a 70! I would have loved a larger battery pack AND dual drive with all the additional horse power. Either way you are getting one hell of a car and good that you are more or less relieved. Just as I was nervous when I got my 60, but after driving it, oh man....

Yes temperature has some influence on the charging, and probably lower temps makes it easier as it needs too cool less, but not a lot. It certainly isnt the reason for the slower rates. In Europe there are some superchargers which were setup as new and were reduced in output on purpose before opening up fully.

Basically the type of battery (earlier batteries charged much slower), the age of the battery itself and also the firmware (earlier software versions did not allow higher charge rates) but thats not the case anymore. And of course whether cars are charging too. Then you might share the juice and that can seriously affect charging rate. That is also true with the 85 of course.
And the lower the battery is on charge, the higher the charge rate. Above 80% the charge rate is very (All is relative of course) slow and if you can reach the other supercharger with some miles to spare, it doesnt make any sense to wait any longer.

So there could be numerous reasons for these slower rates but I have charged at dozens of superchargers and the Bjorn example for me is only explained when I saw similar numbers when I shared my supercharging with an adjacent tesla.

Yes, I just called our Tesla sales center and they confirmed that 70D would charge to 80% form 0 in 40 something minutes, similar to a 85D. So basically the range difference is only the difference between max range. So with 85D, you ll get 216 while the 70D would get 192 in the same amt of time.

This suggests that the charge rate and taper are controlled according to the voltage of the cells, not kWh they contain. That would make sense, since the taper is done to protect cells from charging to too-high voltage or generating too much heat by charging faster than heat can be dissipated. Heat and high voltage are major contributors to lithium ion battery failure.

check out this other thread at the end for 70D charging rate data.
Supercharging the 70D - Page 2

From the looks of it, it's 60KWh battery voltage but more capacity. So expect a cap of 105KW charging rate but with sustained higher rate of charging. Because of this, the 10%-80% charging might take a bit longer than 40 minutes in my opinion. This is partly due to max charge rate initially.