Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

70D Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got 234 on my one range charge on a 70d...haven't run the battery below 140 yet though. It's summer and I consistently run the air and on city roads and am getting 10% to 20% less mileage than stated...think this is pretty normal. Range goes up when I do more freeway driving. 90% was 210, now 214.

Meh, the 100% on my 70D has never gone higher than about 238 rated miles (rated miles are based on the EPA rated efficiency and are not impacted by your driving habits). My 90% is typically between 213 and 215 rated miles.

I've pack cycled and stuff while taking long trips and concluded that this is just the way my car is--no big deal. That said, OP, it's always possible that something in your car's pack SoC calculation is out of whack (which is usually what cycling takes care of, combined with initiating the cell balancing process)...

When I first got my car I think I hit 241 or 242 with a full charge in range mode. I came from an EV so perhaps I'm a bit more conservative with my driving than the "average" MS owner. Since then I leave my display in % rather than miles for daily driving. With the trip planner I think it's better to think in % vs miles.

And I do believe your driving style effects the range calculation.

• Informative
Reactions: Model S M.D.
I get only get 213 when set to daily and have not used the trip setting. I know it's a 75 and setting it to Trip shouldn't hurt but I don't need the range.

For me its simply a case where we should be getting the correct charge and range per the specs we ordered. I expect to use more juice up in the summer with AC and fans; but would the total range be affected when fully charged? I'm trying to find the specs for the 70D but they are no longer on Tesla's website since changing to the Zm

For me its simply a case where we should be getting the correct charge and range per the specs we ordered. I expect to use more juice up in the summer with AC and fans; but would the total range be affected when fully charged? I'm trying to find the specs for the 70D but they are no longer on Tesla's website since changing to the Zm

I meant since changing to the 60. Im pretty sure it's 240 miles.

70D here, started at 246 even, then 242, and typically now a 100% is about 236 max. If you are between 230-240 then seems on-track overall - can't get stuck on anything +/- 5 to 10 miles even as the algo learns how you drive, climate makes a difference, use of heat/AC patterns, etc.

75D is the newer 90D chemistry as well right? The software limitation down to 70D (from 75D) may not be 100% perfect/accurate - but at least you can hopefully use more to keep that higher level post degradation after a year...

Changed my display to battery percentage a long time ago ... many to avoid range anxiety, for me miles were more intimidating than percent. Today my car has over 22,500 miles. At time of purchase it charged to 100% equal to 240 miles. Today last time I checked 100% equals 230 miles.

If you like there is an organization tracking EVs battery performance over time where you can participate in. Web site Plug In America. If nothing else you are contributing to the community.

Not worried about range in general my daily commute is under 20 miles, travel regularly on trips of around 200 miles and have taken road trips as long as 1200 miles. Super Chargers are great and plentiful up and down the east coast.

I got 234 on my one range charge on a 70d...haven't run the battery below 140 yet though. It's summer and I consistently run the air and on city roads and am getting 10% to 20% less mileage than stated...think this is pretty normal. Range goes up when I do more freeway driving. 90% was 210, now 214.

So may I ask, was it recommended to keep charging whenever ywe you can (you say you don't get below 140); as opposed to let the battery run low then charge, much like a cell phone or battery? Is there a formal recommended protocol? My service guys, normally great and responsive,dlmllltt have not responded in weeks, may just be hoping I let this go..

Just as a reference point, I've had the car less than two months, bought new.
I'm wondering how much time everyone's decline in total capacity took place in.

Thanks for everyone's input.

My 8 month old 70D:
90% charge is 345-346km rated range (so ~215mi). No change since delivery, it's been very consistent.
The few times I've charged to 100% it was 345-346km rated range (so 240mi). Have supercharged a few times.
Low daily mileage. Plug in every night, lately charging to about 65% nightly unless anticipating a longer drive (was charging to 90% nightly for first few months)

So may I ask, was it recommended to keep charging whenever ywe you can (you say you don't get below 140); as opposed to let the battery run low then charge, much like a cell phone or battery? Is there a formal recommended protocol? My service guys, normally great and responsive,dlmllltt have not responded in weeks, may just be hoping I let this go..

Just as a reference point, I've had the car less than two months, bought new.
I'm wondering how much time everyone's decline in total capacity took place in.

Thanks for everyone's input.

There are people here much more qualified than I am, but my reading of things is that it's best to keep it between 20% and 80% or some might say 10% to 90%. You can go a little higher on the 70d because it's a 75d battery. I do it just in case I unexpectedly need to go somewhere and tesla has said, "a plugged in model S is a happy model S" I also feel like I've read more bad things about running it too low than having it at, 90%, but that's purely a gut feeling.

I also have a new model S 70D, about two months old. At my home charger, my TRIP setting from my home 14-50 has yielded me between 235-240 miles of "charge". My non-TRIP setting (the usual one) is about 185 miles.
I haven't ventured out out of town much yet, but just thinking about driving between my Montgomery, AL home and Tallahassee, going straight without a supercharger (which would take me well out of the way via Greenville, AL). The trip is listed as 194 miles, mostly on two lane US highways. Would that make anyone overly nervous? There is a convenient 14-50 I have located on PlugShare in case I needed a safety net, but hoping to make it straight to the Tallahassee supercharger Advice?

In my experience, using the 1.5 ratio allows me to travel at speeds around 75 mph. So for 194 miles, you would need 291 miles. If you go around 55 mph, you can get the stated range (usually). Factors such as high winds and hills will change your results.

I just returned from a trip to Palmyra, New York and it was a blast.

Brent

• Informative
Reactions: ldgrmnmc