Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • The final cut of TMC Podcast #34 is available now with topics timestamped. We covered Tesla's rollercoaster prices, Toyota pushing junk science, Mike's new Model 3, Optimizing track mode for snow driving, FSD V11 apparently coming by the end of this week, and more. You can watch and check out the chat replay on YouTube.

70D vs 85D help to make decision please

GasKilla

No Gas Know Peace
Nov 11, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
For me the extra 30 miles makes a huge difference in terms of my weekly drive from NY to NJ. Especially in colder weather I don't have to fret to reach my destination. If range is not an issue you save money with the 70 over the 85. Many owners of the 70 have commented that they wish they had gotten the 85. The D versus non D is another discussion:)
Would anyone ever admit "I wish I hadn't spent the $10k because I never get close to less than 30 miles of range left" it's always easier to want more but much harder to admit you have too much.

Max*

Charging
Apr 8, 2015
NoVa
Many owners of the 70 have commented that they wish they had gotten the 85.

That's interesting, as I've mostly read the exact opposite. Almost every owner who has a 70D said that it's been more than enough. And only a very small vocal minority have said that they wished they had an 85D.

But the above comment gets repeated over and over and over and over, and I have yet to see threads to support it.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by bart513 viewpost-right.png Many owners of the 70 have commented that they wish they had gotten the 85.

That's interesting, as I've mostly read the exact opposite. Almost every owner who has a 70D said that it's been more than enough. And only a very small vocal minority have said that they wished they had an 85D.

But the above comment gets repeated over and over and over and over, and I have yet to see threads to support it.

Everyone has different needs and I don't believe a 85 is significantly better than a 70. In my case, I ordered a 70 since I know my commute rarely is more than 42 miles per day. For weekend trips, we use my wife's car while mine stays clean/warm in the garage. :rolleyes:

Look at it this way, you are paying $10k for 30 miles of added range for the 85D.

To me, the 30 miles were a nice to have, but the performance improvement was a must have. To get me to convert to the EV side, the performance had to be there. I wasn't willing to drive something significantly slower than what I was used to. The 85D sits in a nice sweet spot in terms of performance/range per dollar. ;)

The way I see it:

70D -> 85D = 30 miles of range AND significant performance increase for $10k. (worth it)
85D -> 90D = 15 miles of range and no performance increase for $3k. (questionable)
85D -> P90DL = Almost breakeven (or downgrade?) in range and similar additional performance increase as 70D->85D for $30k. (diminishing returns...if you have the money to burn or REALLY care about 1/4 mile, go for it)

JESUS! this thread is making me second guess that I need the 85D. Today is my last day to make changes and starting to think the 10k is worth the performance and peice of mind having that extra range. I didn't hear anyone talk about battery degradation for a person like me that is going to keep this car if possible longer then 10 years shouldn't I consider 85D. This would be the most important to me above the rest. Getting the 85D does mean I will most likely remove some upgrades like the UHFS :cursing:. I really wanted to stay close to 80k as possible. Damnit decisions decsions.

I couldn't be happier with my 70D -- and the extra 10-13k in my bank account. On road trips when I stop at Superchargers, I only charge enough so that I have a comfortable buffer (30-50 miles) when I arrive at the next Supercharger. For example, if I was going to drive 100 miles to the next supercharger, I would leave the initial supercharger with 150 miles. That charging takes between 15 and 25 minutes. If I were top off, in order to skip the next charger, it would take over an hour of charging because the charging rate slows as the battery tops off. I would rather stop twice for 15 - 25 minutes than once for over an hour.

I couldn't be happier with my 70D -- and the extra 10-13k in my bank account. On road trips when I stop at Superchargers, I only charge enough so that I have a comfortable buffer (30-50 miles) when I arrive at the next Supercharger. For example, if I was going to drive 100 miles to the next supercharger, I would leave the initial supercharger with 150 miles. That charging takes between 15 and 25 minutes. If I were top off, in order to skip the next charger, it would take over an hour of charging because the charging rate slows as the battery tops off. I would rather stop twice for 15 - 25 minutes than once for over an hour.

Good way to keep your battery healthy. I think I am just over thinking it, since this is such an important and large purchase I want to make sure it is smart and will last me as long as possible. Iam leaning towards 70D mostly loaded.... OBSIDIAN BLACK, NEXT GEN SEATS, PANO, PREMIUM INTERIOR + LIGHTING, AUTO PILOT, ULTRA HIGH FIDELITY SOUND. If I do go with 85D I would most likely loose obsidian black, UHFS, possibly the premium interior as well..... all for that larger battery .....:confused:

The only thing I would add to this is about the pano roof. There IS extra head room in the rear, and in the centre section of the front, HOWEVER, I am tall and head room was an issue for me. I found that the roof curves in lower on the sides with the pano roof, so when I turned my head towards the window or moved my head in that direction my head hit the side roof. Without the pano roof that doesnt happen. That issue was enough to turn me off the pano roof.... that and it is quieter, and whenever I have had pano roofs on other cars I've hardly ever used them.

As for 70D vs 85D... I went through exactly the same dilemma in my decision week. I originally ordered a 70D, but changed it to the 85D during the week. I'm glad I did.

Sidmini:

Many responses to your inquiry, and given how many there are, I haven't read them all, so this may have been mentioned.

There's nothing unique about buying a Tesla compared to any other car. What are YOUR driving routines? What's important to YOUR comfort needs? What's YOUR budget?

You'll get tons of responses from people who know what they like because it's important to them, but it may be meaningless to you.

A couple of examples. I took delivery of a P90D 3 months ago. No sunroof, because I never use it, other people couldn't live without one. Standard radio, because I rarely play one, so getting the $2,500 upgrade was a waste of money, but to some people, music is really, really important, therefore it's worth every penny.

Each to their own -- that's why they are options.

If my car were to be totaled, I'd order an exact replacement with 1 exception -- I wouldn't spend $3,000 to get the 90KW battery. Why? Because now having driven the car for 3 months I've never been below 45% and I don't take extended cross-country trips.

Go with what you need and want versus relying on doing what others recommend and you'll be happier in the long run. Test drive the different models, drive cars with the standard seats versus the performance seats (they feel very different), check out cars with and without sunroofs and see what you like.

It's your money, so it should be all about you, just the same way if you were buying a BMW or a Kia -- Tesla is no different.

I'd go 85D with AP and Pano with textile seats. They are great, and most of the seating area is the same faux leather anyway.

Air suspension not worth the price or worry of future repairs.

Standard sound is pretty darn good IMHO.

85D vs 70D gives you a big performance bump, more range, and faster supercharging.

For colours, standard white if you want to save $, light silver if you want the easiest to keep clean, and MC red if you want the best colour IMHO.

bonaire

Aug 24, 2013
USA
Wouldn't someone buy the range that they typically use? As time passes, more superchargers will be deployed and range driving will not be as big of a deal. Larger batteries can take a faster low-end SOC charge (ie go from 0 miles to 100 miles faster in terms of Watt flow). When driving long distances, it is smarter to enter the SC with very low miles left so the speed of recharge is faster. If you pull in with 50 miles remaining it takes longer to add 100 miles than if you pull in with 10 miles remaining. Depreciation of an 85 should be faster than a 70 in terms of percentage. In 3 years a 100D model may come out but there is no guarantee. It is more likely that a pack will become cheaper to build with the newer larger-cell formats that the GF will produce. But 100D may be deployed to help older S60 and early 85 owners plan for an upgrade. Especially as the bulk of the 3-year leases come up.

Wouldn't someone buy the range that they typically use? As time passes, more superchargers will be deployed and range driving will not be as big of a deal. Larger batteries can take a faster low-end SOC charge (ie go from 0 miles to 100 miles faster in terms of Watt flow). When driving long distances, it is smarter to enter the SC with very low miles left so the speed of recharge is faster. If you pull in with 50 miles remaining it takes longer to add 100 miles than if you pull in with 10 miles remaining. Depreciation of an 85 should be faster than a 70 in terms of percentage. In 3 years a 100D model may come out but there is no guarantee. It is more likely that a pack will become cheaper to build with the newer larger-cell formats that the GF will produce. But 100D may be deployed to help older S60 and early 85 owners plan for an upgrade. Especially as the bulk of the 3-year leases come up.

What model do you have if you don't mind me asking?

jerry33

(S85-3/2/13 traded in) X LR: F2611##-3/27/20
Supporting Member
Mar 8, 2012
Texas
A battery with more capacity will also last longer before replacement due to range limitation is required. My opinion is that it will be twenty years before the majority of routes are covered. (State highways for example)

I did it!!!! Just confirmed my order this AM.
Model S 85D | All-Wheel Drive | Obsidian Black Metallic Paint | Black Leather Next Gen Seats | Pano Roof | Premium Interior and Lighting | Black Alcantara Headliner | Ultra High Fidelity Sound | Autopilot

pumped!! June can not get here fast enough
:cool:

Reactions: BEEZR

Model S M.D.

Ludicrous Radiologist
Oct 31, 2015
TX
I did it!!!! Just confirmed my order this AM.
Model S 85D | All-Wheel Drive | Obsidian Black Metallic Paint | Black Leather Next Gen Seats | Pano Roof | Premium Interior and Lighting | Black Alcantara Headliner | Ultra High Fidelity Sound | Autopilot

pumped!! June can not get here fast enough
:cool:

Nice, you will love it! I have almost the exact same options, great minds think alike..

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC