Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

70D vs. 90D Speed Regrets?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have never owned a performance car in my life. I test drove a 70D and couldn't imagine I needed more acceleration. Didn't even bother having them toggle it to a 90D for me.
I rarely floor the 70D and when I do I can't imagine needing more.
I guess I'm lucky in that I have never experienced such performance so I don't desire it.

So, I'm in a VERSION od this dilemma now myself - except it is the CPO P85 (or P85+) vs a new S60. Obviously, price is an important consideration, but so is overall value. My last two cars were a first gen Volt and then prior to that a 2002 BMW M5. Two VERY different cars as you can tell. Indeed, prior to the Volt I tended to go to high horsepower cars - in short I am a "car guy". I actually test drove the new Volt after all the positive reviews and improved performance and came away disappointed...felt little different than my gen 1 Volt. In deed, the Audi A3 Etron felt better to drive than the new Volt, but even it felt "slow" to me (from a perf perspective).

For you performance oriented guys in this thread, would the power of a P85 sway you over a new S60...or vice versa? Keep in mind, the CPO cars tend to be loaded in the high $50s, whereas as S60 in blue with just leather and AP is $6k more (after rebate)?

Thoughts?

If you're only looking at the CPO cars because of the acceleration, I think you should get the new 60. I've never owned a performance car but I watch and read about motorsports continuously. My wife now preemptively asks me "Did Hamilton win?" in the hopes that she can avoid having to sit through me go on about other details I think. I was dead set on a 90 until I drove the 70 and went "this is more than enough." I used the money saved to get a pano roof and upgrade the sound system.

With a new 60, you get the refresh look and maybe can add a few features you were willing to live without plus the piece of mind of having a new car that you designed and know everything about (even though we know on pure "value" you should probably never buy a new car). That's just me of course. Obviously only you know how much those things matter to you.

I have. 2013 CPO 85, and every time I've had service they have given me a P85 or P85+ as a loaner. Every time I get mine back, I wish I was still in the loaner.

The 85 has a powerfully smooth acceleration. The P85 is a punch, followed by powerfully smooth acceleration.

I haven't driven a P90 or anything with ludicrous, but I imagine it is like being kicked in the chest by Bruce Lee, then punched by Mike Tyson (in his good days) followed by powerfully smooth acceleration from 100mph to 150mph.

So, what is that worth to you? I like the new front end, and desperately want AP, but power, well, it corrupts!

As a newbie to the Tesla S club, please forgive me for getting a little TMI on this my first "post." But I just have to jump in!

Having recently purchased (Oct. 2016) a new 90D with basically all options except rear seats and winter heating and, having now put on 4,400+ miles in fall/winter conditions in a mountainous cold climate, I can say that range is quite an interesting factor. If it had to be a 70 or 90 option based on range, I'd certainly go with the latter!

I'm frankly surprised to see how many miles are reduced by driving in cold, rain/snow and now rolling on very nice but traction-grabbing, energy consuming Mechelin ICE tires! Forget 294 miles range when driving in mountains or hilly terrain. You may get 5-10 additional miles from going down a long steep mountain pass but you'll eat up a whole lot more more going up the same!! Cut that 294 practically in half under demanding conditions. Really! Because of this, 90D is really nice to give a greater sense of security in such tough driving conditions. It's also nice to run heated seats and car heater without worrying about gobbling up that essential range. That said, though range can and will drop a lot at times, the Tesla 90D is just super in the snow and icy conditions. (Now I know why those Norwegians/Swedes love Teslas!)

Acceleration? Passed three cars and a big semi on a two lane road awhile back and was so pleased to QUICKLY get by everything and back in line. Haven't driven a 70D for comparison. But...wow!! The 90D sure gets up NOW and GOES! You just gotta love it! ❤

But... one unexpected factor: my wife does NOT like that full-pull acceleration feel of our 90D! Fortunately she DOES like getting by cars quickly and safely when passing but that "full acceleration feel" frankly frightens her a lot!! Sooo, I'm learning to accelerate in a "smooth-firm" kind of way to keep her from fearfully clutching things. It makes a big difference.

In that speed-acceleration vein, I'm sure the P WOULD give even more seat-impailing thrust ... and if you're needing to race others, that's great. But then, I already can leave basically everyone in the dust already ... and when I look down after just a few seconds of acceleration and see I'm am zooming at 100+ mph ... wow! It's nuts!!

Still, I do admit there is something addictive about that (always wanting more!) feel but then, in my (hopefully more frequent?) saner moments, I also passionately want to avoid getting tickets, paying for (very expensive!!) Tesla accident repairs and higher insurance costs, too!

Indeed, that "sweet spot" talked about by others spells out a 90D for me (especially due to range factors). Without that concern, I have a strong hunch that the 70D power-wise and driving-wise would be just fabulous, too.

Sooo... Grins all around! ☺ Hope to see you at a supercharger some day!!

• Love
Reactions: wesley888
It is. Range and power have not been an issue on my 70D after almost two years and 28,000 miles of driving it.

Welcome to the club! :)

Thanks! Great! I am happy to be part of an expanding phenomenon that may really take off like a Space X rocket in the next coming years.
Sorry I didn't take even more time to reflect on one-pedal driving, hydraulic suspension, great flat cornering, awesome brakes (if needed!), fabulous computer screen/features (like awesome Google map!!), nice premium sound system (thanks for expanding eq!) comfortable new generation seats and that wonderful quiet interior! Wish everyone could enjoy the experience!!
Yup! I'm a fan!

Placed my order a few weeks ago and moving into production in another few weeks of my 70D. However, I've never actually driven a 70 before (bought it completely drive(?) unseen :confused:) ... until today.

I was able to find a local dealership that had one in available for test driving in almost my exact configuration. I made a dumb decision by driving a 90D minutes before that just to really see the difference. There's definitely a massive change in acceleration and seemed to be a bit of a different driving experience, but I'm not sure if that was mostly psychological on my part. Immediately afterwards I began to regret my decision and consider a 90D configuration vs. the 70D I've already ordered.

On the depressing drive back home in my ICE, I started to wonder if my issue isn't completely psychological.

I'm very curious to hear from current 70D owners if the 70 feels like "enough"? Do you have any regrets? I find it hard to believe I would actually be able to tell the difference between a 70 and 90 in my daily driving, and it seems that even if I went with the 90, eventually it would start to feel 'normal' and I would have just spent $13k to upgrade for something that long term didn't make much of a difference at all.

Any issues with highway speed passing in specific for the 70 owners out there?

Please, save me from myself TMC :)

If speed is all you care about then you messed up but. ... if fast is good enough...like it is for me, I love my 70D. It isn't the fastest Tesla but it kicks ass where it counts 50-80mph. I take any gap I want. Top end is frustrating over 90mph but getting there feels good. You wanna hurt, get the p90d...you'll get your fix...

But... one unexpected factor: my wife does NOT like that full-pull acceleration feel of our 90D! Fortunately she DOES like getting by cars quickly and safely when passing but that "full acceleration feel" frankly frightens her a lot!! Sooo, I'm learning to accelerate in a "smooth-firm" kind of way to keep her from fearfully clutching things. It makes a big difference.

My wife and one of two kids felt very car sick after a test drive. I'm fully expecting to have to accelerate slowly and just enjoy the extra range. The other kid loved the acceleration. Maybe more trips for ice cream for that one :) But then again, someday she will be driving... so...

My wife and one of two kids felt very car sick after a test drive. I'm fully expecting to have to accelerate slowly and just enjoy the extra range. The other kid loved the acceleration. Maybe more trips for ice cream for that one :) But then again, someday she will be driving... so...
It's the regen. Turn it to low during the next test drive (unless you meant they felt sick after a P100D launch, in which case, it's not the regen ;)).

Your county sheriff would like to know how often this frustration troubles you ;)

I know the sheriff would like to know that but as I said. I hardly ever speed unless making a defensive move like getting out of the way of a tailgater...or as I said a bunch of deviants box Me to the left lane and refuse to let me over while exit approaches like day before yesterday. Then I punch it. But to prevent the perception of cutting some one off, I like to take the gap and pull away in one smooth motion that doesn't scare the people to my right. Anyway. I am old cruising is my thing now. Enjoying the admiration of the folks because I drive a very sexy beast...;-)

Driving a high performance vehicle is a lot different than riding in that same vehicle.

Tell your wife of kid to drive as fast as they possibly can, while you are riding shotgun.

Gives you a whole different perspective when someone else is in control of the car, and you are helpless in the passenger seat.

Reactions: Ulmo
It's the regen. Turn it to low during the next test drive (unless you meant they felt sick after a P100D launch, in which case, it's not the regen ;)).

It was more launch related. My bad :)

Tell your wife of kid to drive as fast as they possibly can, while you are riding shotgun.

This is definitely true. I frequently feel motion sick when I ride in the passenger seat.

Driving a high performance vehicle is a lot different than riding in that same vehicle.

Gives you a whole different perspective when someone else is in control of the car, and you are helpless in the passenger seat.
Ha! You've got a point there. I was in the passenger seat the other day while I let someone else drive the car (not my wife). I remember spontaneously saying "holy s..." when he punched it at about 30mph. Passenger seat "feels" different for sure!! (I prefer driving!!)

I have a 70D, am upgrading to a 100D for range reasons. Tesla gave me a P90DL overnight loaner with the selectable performance modes.

After playing with all the settings:

P with Insane/Ludicrous Mode is almost too much for me. It hurts my neck to jab the accelerator at a standstill and I basically have to remember to carefully feather. If you have passengers, you are unlikely to be able to use it. Phones will fly out of their hands if you don't tell them.

P with Sport Mode is a bit better in that regard.

The 70D vs 90D is pretty similar. The launch on the 90D is a little faster but honestly it's not an appreciable difference. However, the highway passing (e.g. 60mph to 80mph) pull on the 90D is a bit better compared to the 70D.

Overall, I sat in the P90DL feeling pretty happy about my initial 70D choice. Getting the 90D/100D IMO should primarily be about the range (not just absolute # of miles, but also time spent charging depending on the supercharging curve), not about performance differences.