Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

70kwh packs in the refresh are really 75kwh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Software unlockable for $3250

Slipping Delivery Dates for Model S

"We’ve just found out that your Model S is going to have the option to upgrade via firmware to the 75kWh battery pack. We don’t have official Australian pricing yet, but you’ll be able to do it before or after delivery. The US price will be $3250, but our Sales team will have a call campaign to confirm with you once pricing is out."

Seems rather expensive upgrade for 5 to 10% range increase. An OTA upgrade should be less. I received my 70D in November. How do I tell it is a "refreshed 70"
"refreshed" refers to post-facelift. A car in November last year most definitely does not apply.

Some of the cars being released in the last month or so (but not getting the facelift) might still have a chance though.

Someone needs to hack the computer.
BMW's have "coding" via an app or lap top and some software via the OBD port. It allows you to turn on BUNCH of features already on the car but turned off by BMW-NA for one reason or another. To charge $3,000US to unlock a feature is just ridiculous, IMO.

• Disagree
Reactions: gsxdsm
BMW's have "coding" via an app or lap top and some software via the OBD port. It allows you to turn on BUNCH of features already on the car but turned off by BMW-NA for one reason or another. To charge $3,000US to unlock a feature is just ridiculous, IMO.

No it's not ridiculous. It is the cost of the feature. Someone has to pay for the R&D, warranty coverage, etc.

Not ridiculous at all. This is just supply chain management. The people who bought 70s got what they paid for whether it is "true" 70 or a limited 75. This is no different than the S40 getting a 60kWh pack and paying a 40 price with a software limit.

And given past history, they will be discontinuing the 70 in the near future anyways. If given the choice, would you seriously prefer this (having the 75kWh as the only choice, or having a $3k less expensive option that is software limited)?

Reactions: Cyclone

So.... Theft?

Most (if not all) of the BMW coding options are hidden tweaks or mods or features available in other countries... Not features that BMW charges more for. Even for things like enabling the XM radio hardware you still need to buy a key from BMW.

No it's not ridiculous. It is the cost of the feature. Someone has to pay for the R&D, warranty coverage, etc.

This isn't as cut and dry as you make it out to be. Tesla already spent the money putting a 75 kWh battery in it. It is more like a hotel letting a room go empty for the night. The cost is already there. That is why you can get a good last minute deal to keep that room from going empty. Think Hotwire.
So assuming they put a 75 kWh pack in they should really try and get you to pay for the "upgrade" they already gave you.
Since $3250 is exactly the price for 5 kWhs you pay when upgrading to the 90D it isn't onerous. However I think they would end up getting a lot more upgraders at $2500 and end the end actually make more money.
I assume 70D buyers are more price conscious than 90D buyers (I am). They might need to nudge us a little more with a bit of a discount

As I suspect this capacity is limited by using all cells, but simply capping the max voltage (<4.20V) then if you have one of these packs, consider yourself lucky. You're pack will most certainly last longer and experience less degradation than a comparable 70 pack.

Reactions: Dynastar
If the new packs are 75s versus 70s by utilizing less blanks, then how much extra weight would an MS with the 75 be carrying around not utilized? Enough to impact range a bit over time, e.g. an extra 100-200lb or so?

Seems like just filling some of the unused blanks that exist in the 70 versus 85/90 is the easiest way for Tesla to create a 75 pack for now...

Heck, if they offered it for those of us with an older 70D as an upgrade, to pop in a new pack, then I'd consider it at $2000-2500. 5 more full usable kWh of range...

-T