Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

72 amp charger upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there has been speculation on this forum about how the 48 to 72 amp charger upgrade works--is it a software switch or a hardware replacement. I am having the procedure done right now so I can tell you. It is in fact a hardware replacement and not an easy one. I took my X in on Saturday morning for the upgrade and it is now Thursday and and they still have it. They said they were waiting on a part that they just received yesterday afternoon. So, it's a hardware replacement afterall, for those of you who are interested in the upgrade.

• Informative
Reactions: xkwizit
Mine was an early car and the factory screwed up and did not install the correct charger so a few months later when I noticed it, they had to swap it out.

But in my case they ordered the charger ahead of time and it was less than a 4 hour job, so I waited.

ok quick phone call to the SC and they can be upgraded and or retrofitted. they have to check the vin to see which one but some can be done OTA and so cannot soon as he gets back to me about cost i'll post it

I haven't seen Tesla advertise a 48A to 72A post delivery upgrade. None is listed on shop.teslamotors.com. However, for most X's it should be possible. I'd call your SC and ask.

I haven't seen it listed online to buy, either - but the order screens clearly show it as a post delivery upgrade option.

That's actually why I don't have it - I wasn't sure how helpful it'd be, but when it was not upgradeable I was thinking I'd have to come up with the money anyway; once it became clear you can upgrade it, I took it out of my X before the order finalized - if it seems like it'll help me in the future I can always add it.