Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$724 for TPMS sensor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dropped off my 2012 Model S for service early Thursday morning with my car reporting a TPMS sensor issue.
They guessed they'd be done same day. I've messaged them every day asking if I can pick up my car today. They reply things like "they are diagnosing it deeper" and they'll message back when it's done.
Tonight they just changed the estimate to $724 to replace all 4 sensors.
I immediately wrote back saying I just want my car back.
It's been an hour and they're not replying, and they're about to close for the day.

They used to give me a rental car when my car was in for service. Then they started giving me Uber credits. Now nothing. So it's now 6 days of me not having my car. just because of a TPMS error.

Any suggestions on a non-Tesla place I can take my car to get the TPMS thing fixed that won't take 6 days and won't cost $700?
Do I buy 4 3rd party sensors and make an appointment at Skips or WheelWorks?

thanks

The TPMS sensor is like $27, Messaging every day is $100 per day (joking)

.... they may have changed out the gen 1 dummy light, to the gen 2, Continental TPMS Retrofit, used to cost $500, but with inflation.... it will $800 by next year.

1671592873587.png

Did they bother to tell you what that was replacing or did you just omit that detail?

Given the year of your vehicle, I assume it still has the gen 1 TPMS sensors and control module. These cars can be upfitted to the newer Gen 2 TPMS sensors and control module but it has to be done all at once. The good news is that it's a far better system and you'll get to monitor the pressure of individual tires right on your instrument cluster. Personally, I was thankful that the upgrade to newer tech was this simple with Tesla as most cars don't get that type of an upgrade path even offered.

Sure, they can just source gen 1 TPMS and charge you much less (the cost of the sensors should be a wash, if not a little bit cheaper on the newer version) but that would be doing you a disservice. I wouldn't invest in the older technology and would use this opportunity to just update/upgrade them. They should have explained this all to you though unless the Service Center is inept... which has been known to be a thing Tesla also, sadly.

Reactions: Gadget-X
Any suggestions on a non-Tesla place I can take my car to get the TPMS thing fixed that won't take 6 days and won't cost $700?

Any quality tire repair shop, such as Discount Tire, will do. I suspect if they do not have them in stock it will only take a couple of days to get them and can be installed in about one-hour. In the future never take your car to a Tesla SC unless you have no other option, especially for anything having to do with tires, alignments, etc.

A new controller board was not in the quote; it was just the 4 sensors + installation.

So I can buy 4 Huf sensors on the Internet, take them to any tire shop, and they can replace the old 2012 ones?

I'm glad to be driving my car again after a week of Uber and borrowing my mother-in-law's car. The service center didn't charge me anything for the "diagnostic", so I'm grateful for that.

you averted a complete rip off!

I have used the gen2 version of the following TPMS with excellent experiences.. the link below is for the gen1... just take them to any tire shop and install when you get next set of tires

Personally, I would still buy them from the tire shop (unless a lot more expensive). It is worth investing in a tire shop you will frequent plus, if there any issues, you will not have an argument.

i don't get it, how much op expect to pay? sensor oem is $95 each.. labor probably $200 install
that's $600 + tax + diagnose $100 labor. actually that's cheap compare to other dealer rate is $250/hr
if money tight, don't go to tesla service center expect to get free work for out of warranty Tesla.
it is 2012 and tpms battery only last average 5yrs
i attached proof, so you know im not b.s

Attachments

• Image 1.png
    Image 1.png
    49.9 KB · Views: 121
don't get it, how much op expect to pay?

We'll, not $724 for 4 TPMS sensors. Unless they're solid gold and diamond encrusted, that's a total ripoff.

For $724, I'll check your tire pressure every morning and text it to your phone, with your choice of emoji (for poop emoji, press 1... for hands in air emoji, press 2... if you'd like to continue this call in English, press 3). Thank you, buh bye.

We'll, not $724 for 4 TPMS sensors. Unless they're solid gold and diamond encrusted, that's a total ripoff.

For $724, I'll check your tire pressure every morning and text it to your phone, with your choice of emoji (for poop emoji, press 1... for hands in air emoji, press 2... if you'd like to continue this call in English, press 3). Thank you, buh bye.
Cheap guy making fun my English lol. Is that your best comeback?

Cheap guy making fun my English lol. Is that your best comeback?
No, I'm sorry. I promise I wouldn't do that... and your English is fine.

I was just goofing by emulating an automated phone service (as part of my joke about offering nonsensical tire pressure monitoring as a service).

I only know one spoken/written language, so it would be very foolish and hypocritical to make fun of someone for knowing multiple languages. Please accept my apology for writing anything that would make you believe that.

I do think $724 for 4 TPMS is incredibly expensive though, that part I wasn't joking about.

I had the same situation. My Tesla S 2013 needed new sensors. They wanted $1000 just to change the harness and module. It would have been another $1000 for sensors and labor to install the sensors. Tire Rack stocks the Baolong sensors $67/ sensor that will not require any new harness, module install or software update. They'll install them for you for a nominal fee if you have Tire Rack Mobile service available in your area. The service writer at the Tesla Service Center told me he wasn't sure new Baolong sensors would clear the TPMS light on the dash because it might require a software update which my older car did not support. He was wrong. Granted you won't have 4 tire pressures displayed on your dashboard but you will still know if the tire pressure is off which would require taking 4 tire pressures. Not a big deal. For a $1700 dollar savings, I'll check my own tire pressures if the dash warning light goes on. I was told by the Tire Rack technicians that TPMS sensors are generally good for 7 years.

I dropped off my 2012 Model S for service early Thursday morning with my car reporting a TPMS sensor issue.
They guessed they'd be done same day. I've messaged them every day asking if I can pick up my car today. They reply things like "they are diagnosing it deeper" and they'll message back when it's done.
Tonight they just changed the estimate to $724 to replace all 4 sensors.
I immediately wrote back saying I just want my car back.
It's been an hour and they're not replying, and they're about to close for the day.

They used to give me a rental car when my car was in for service. Then they started giving me Uber credits. Now nothing. So it's now 6 days of me not having my car. just because of a TPMS error.

Do I buy 4 3rd party sensors and make an appointment at Skips or WheelWorks?

thanks
What until you need new tires and do it then. But did they say it was the sensors? It might be the computer and new sensors won’t fix.