Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

72A Charger Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a June 2016 S P90D and apparently I have a 72A charger that is software-limited to 48A. When I talked to the dealership they said they couldn’t activate the upgrade because I’m not the original owner. While that is true, has anyone else been told this? Is there some reason they don’t want to give me the upgrade?

Maybe you've found a way to confirm this, but are you sure you actually have a software limited 72A? I know there were a few of those early after the cutover but I was under the impression they pretty quickly moved to actual differentiated hardware.

I have a June 2016 S P90D and apparently I have a 72A charger that is software-limited to 48A. When I talked to the dealership they said they couldn’t activate the upgrade because I’m not the original owner. While that is true, has anyone else been told this? Is there some reason they don’t want to give me the upgrade?
Maybe Tesla wants to keep the charging specs associated with the VIN.

Being the original owner is not a requirement for this upgrade. Are you not listed as the owner? Do you have app access?

I think it is important to confirm that you actually have the 72 amp charger. That's an additional board that that get added to the base 48 amp charger. I have a mid-June build MS90D, not a P. I recall when I ordered you had to specifically select the option for the upgraded charger as it was actually a hardware difference, not just a software switch.

I think it is important to confirm that you actually have the 72 amp charger. That's an additional board that that get added to the base 48 amp charger. I have a mid-June build MS90D, not a P. I recall when I ordered you had to specifically select the option for the upgraded charger as it was actually a hardware difference, not just a software switch.
Easy to check on an S. Pull up the rear seat cushion and you will see a sticker on the charger. It's pretty big and will show "48A" or "72A".

• Informative
Reactions: PR0FESSOR
Easy to check on an S. Pull up the rear seat cushion and you will see a sticker on the charger. It's pretty big and will show "48A" or "72A".
PXL_20220518_014242681.MP.jpg

Just like this. Had mine upgraded to a 72 amp.

Reactions: blodg1 and M0rpH3x
Being the original owner is not a requirement for this upgrade. Are you not listed as the owner? Do you have app access?
Yes it is, or at least it was when i was asking for an upgrade. Back when they offered the Ludacris upgrade to the P85D i inquired if i could make an appt to get that done and was told by multiple service centers that was only an upgrade option for the original owners, even though it said nothing about that on the website, it just said basically give us $5k and well give you more power.

Yes it is, or at least it was when i was asking for an upgrade. Back when they offered the Ludacris upgrade to the P85D i inquired if i could make an appt to get that done and was told by multiple service centers that was only an upgrade option for the original owners, even though it said nothing about that on the website, it just said basically give us $5k and well give you more power.
I was specifically referring to "this" upgrade, meaning the charger upgrade. I worked for Tesla and can confirm these facts. Regarding your ludicrous upgrade, when did you request it? There was short period of time when the discontinuation of the upgrade was waived for original owners.

Interesting. I am first owner on mine, but was never asked any questions on ownership during my upgrade. I was given pushback on why I wanted it. They also had to ask for it. To make sure car could accept. So maybe that's when they checked that I was original owner. Mine charged at reduced, and after opened it up one part was fried. That's why I have the cover of the 48amp.

Tesla did forget to provision it on the back end so the next software update the car didn't recognize 72 amp charger. Had to drive slowly to SC to have them fix. Got a snarky response like well you wanted the 72 amp.